Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Trip Report: Negril /Idle Awhile & Ocho Rios/ Jamaica Inn (Part 2 Ocho Rios)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay! Okay! I feel like such a slacker. Since I promised Part 2 of the Negril/Ocho Rios trip report, and I have had gentle nudges to post my impressions, I will finally get myself together and give my .02 cents' worth.

The first portion of the trip was to Negril for one week and can be found under the heading: Trip Report: Negril /Idle Awhile & Ocho Rios/ Jamaica Inn (Part 1 Negril)

We left Negril (after having a wonderful time) and chose Clive?s Transport Service. I can highly recommend Clive?s and would suggest you ask for Junior as your driver.

Clive is a delightful gentleman who met us at the gas station and thanked us for choosing his service. The website is: http://www.clivestransportservicejamaica.com/index.htm and the prices and service are great.

The trip over to Ochi was a wonderful sampling of the north shore coastal towns. We saw men walking the shoreline with a string of freshly-caught fish, and little bars and jerk stands lined the road.

One of the highlights was our stop in Falmouth, a town that is a total step back in time. We had said that we would like to stop about halfway between Negril and Ochi for lunch, and that we would like to have patties (a traditional dish that is meat or vegetables in a pastry shell served piping hot with coco bread ? a dense fresh hot bread served as a side).

Junior stopped at Tastees in Falmouth. It is the Jamaican equivalent of McDonalds. We proceeded to take out brown bags heavy with patties and coco bread which we ate in the van and was one of the best meals we had on our trip. On Wednesdays (the day we were there) Falmouth comes alive with a HUGE street flea market in which people bring every conceivable piece good to sell to the people who come in from miles around. It was a carnival atmosphere and amazing! You haven?t lived until you see a man with men?s belts over one arm, and ladies underpants in ALL sizes over the other.

Junior told us all about everything we passed on our three hour trip over to Ochi, and we had a wonderful time. There is so much to see on this trip. I highly recommend driving as opposed to flying ? which you can do.

We arrived at Jamaica Inn (we purchased our package from luxurylink.com) and immediately knew we were in our element. The place reminds me of the song ?Hotel California? by the Eagles. The same family (the Morrows) has owned the hotel since the 1950?s and have lovingly treated it like a guest house for (paying) friends. We felt like we were invited guests and the place was addictive.

Many of the staff have been there for 20 plus years, and the feeling is one of genteel shabby days-gone-by elegance.

Let me say that Jamaica Inn IS for:

People who want to have total relaxation in a low-stress environment

People who would like to experience the Caribbean of years gone by

People who value service and privacy and a varied and eclectic menu

Jamaica Inn is NOT for:

Those wanting glitz and glamour and constant entertainment

Those wanting Sandals-type resort shiny-new accommodations

American?style dining options

We absolutely loved the place, and no doubt will go back. The day we left, we felt like we were leaving family.

We had a beachfront verandah room, and would highly recommend that category. It?s mere steps from the water?s edge, and there are nice touches like a welcome rum punch on the verandah, fresh towels and a fresh water basin (for sandy feet) every morning. Shadow the black Lab will come and check on you every day (and see if you have breakfast leftovers or have a sip from your foot basin).

The rum punches start every morning on the beach walked down by a friendly waitperson, and dinners are amazingly romantic with food that was never less than excellent served on a candle lit terrace accompanied by a different music combo every evening. What a delightful experience. Be SURE to try the Jamaican breakfast sometime during your stay. I had never tried ackee, but was addicted to it and jerk sausage by the time we left. Just incredibly good food and an impressive array of wine as well.

Unfortunately, the closest town, Ocho Rios, is boring and unattractive, with very little to see or do. I?d recommend day trips to other parts of the island. On the plus side, there is a little flea market where you can buy the very latest in Jamaican reggae and dancehall, and there are two very good restaurants that we tried: The Ocho Rios Jerk Center (better really like jerk and/or local food) and Evita?s (delicious Italian - try the lasagna).

During our stay, we went on only one excursion, and I would most highly recommend it. We did the Blue Mountain bicycle tour, and it was just amazing! You need not be athletic or a cyclist to do this tour, and it was one of the highlights of our trip. Check out this website: http://www.bmtoursja.com/ What a great day! Be sure to buy the video they offer. What fun!

One of the things we will never forget about our time at the Jamaica Inn was being there during the Olympic gold medal races that Veronica Campbell won. I cannot tell you how proud the Jamaican people are of their new national hero and how she arose from very modest means to make her country proud. Huddling by the radio in the bar and listening as she won her first medal was a never to be forgotten experience.

Our only-too-soon trip back to Montego Bay to catch our flight was brightened by our driver stopping in a tiny town to show us where gold medalist Veronica Campbell calls home.

Jamaica Inn was a step back in time to a kinder gentler Caribbean which is fast disappearing to the mega all-inclusive resorts. Go and enjoy while you still can - and pat Shadow for me.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 02:40 PM

Ahhhhh ..... Diana , I am dreaming of a trip to The Jamaica Inn . Thanx for the report , Faith .
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 06:11 AM

Thanks for the report. We also loved Jamaica Inn and can't wait to go back this spring. In all aspects JI is a taste of understated elegance and the staff is wonderful.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 06:23 AM

Thanks for the trip report, Diana. It was worth waiting for! After reading so many glowing reviews about JI, it is very likely the place I will take my mom next year for her big 70th birthday.

I would love to hear more specifics about the beach there, whether there is any snorkeling at JI or near Ochi, and some of the meals you ate at JI, since I'm assuming that some were included with your auction package. Particularly if the desserts were good.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Hi Emily!

The beach was very nice and secluded. Clean and golden and a good size for the resort, but not really long enough to do more than a short leisurely stroll.

There was some decent snorkeling off the beach around the two points, but bring your own equip. as theirs was pretty beaten up. (We are spoiled with snorkeling! There is a guy that sits there with a boat who will take you out to a good reef not far in front - but too far to swim.)

The food was absolutely delicious, and we did not have one bad meal. The only thing I would not get again is steak. The fish is so moist and fresh, I can't believe I even ordered beef, but after two weeks of seafood, I needed something RED! (It was not bad, just not the quality/doneness I prefer.)

I am not a big sweets person, but the desserts I did have were super! I had the cheese plate almost every night for dinner, and it was one of the best I've ever had.

I think it is a PERFECT place to take your mom. We saw several multi-generational families there having a great time. It is just so laid back and wonderful. Oh, I already miss it!

Old Oct 20th, 2004, 06:26 AM

The beach at JI is very nice. Plenty of shade and comfortable loungers. It is about 500ft long. Snorkeling off the beach is only okay. The best thing to do is to arrange a snorkel trip thru Tony who works on the beach. You can order lunch at the beach bar and have it delivered to you.

The package includes breakfast and dinner along with free hors'doeuvres with cocktails before dinner. Breakfast is awesome--basket of sweet rolls, breads, Tray of fruits, all kinds of entree selections includung some local ones. I'm an ackee nut and enjoyed the ackee and salt fish. Dinner is a 5 course affair with appetizer, soup, salad, entree (usually a choice of about 5 or 6 items) and dessert. Never was able to work my way thre all 5. Had an excellent fillet one night. Only bad meal I had was salmon which was very fishy--like it defrosted en route and then refrozen--Better to stick with local fresh fish. On mon or tuesday night they do a beach BBque with a bonfire. Before the bbque there is a managers cocktail party with Hors D'ouvres. Really good food and a fun night. Entertainment nightly. Ocho Rios was your typical cruise port. Lots of duty free shops and vendors. There is a van from JI that takes you to Ocho Rios for a small fee. We did go one day and had lunch a Margaritavilla which was filled with tourists from the ship and noisy and frenetic. Once was enough. In the winter JI is quite formal for dinner with men wearing suits and even tuxes. In the off season it is long pants and dressy shirt. Really liked JI and will probably go back this year.