Trip report – 1st time in Turks & Caicos

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2016, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had posted in here for island suggestions and ultimately went with T&C so I figured I would report back...& most of you were right! The beach was lovely and it was great for a SHORT trip buuuuut Grace Bay just didn’t charm me as much as I expected it to and the island itself isn’t very scenic so I’m not sure it’s an island I would return to anytime soon.

Food – Everything was wonderful. We dined at Bay Bistro, Caicos Café, Bugaloos, as well as the restaurants at the Blue Haven resort. Bay Bistro was my favorite meal but they were all truly wonderful – probably some of the best meals I’ve had on a vacation.

Prices – I was prepared for the cost of things to be horrendous but imo they weren’t THAT bad (except for cases of beer). Then again I am based in NYC/DC so maybe I’m just used to things being a bit more expensive. Dining out on vacation can be expensive, but in T&C the portion sizes were adequate and the quality of food was excellent at least.

Resort – Blue Haven in Leeward. Loved the resort and being in a more private area than Grace Bay. Grace Bay is in no way busy (at least it wasn’t in May) but being a bit more secluded was very nice for a short relaxing vacation. We did rent a car so getting around was not an issue at all and Grace Bay was less than 10 minutes away.

Grace Bay – Beautiful stretch of beach. Very clean and no vendors or peddlers around which is key to a relaxing vacation. I personally wouldn’t say it’s the nicest beach I’ve seen but it is without a doubt a beautiful body of water.

Chalk Sound – Did not live up the hype at all. Maybe I’m missing something? The drive down wasn’t scenic at all (which I knew going in) but I didn’t find the chalk sound to be particularly special either.

We had tried to make it out to Middle Caicos our last day but unfortunately the ferry left early. It was still an excellent vacation though. Turks & Caicos is a very calm, relaxing place with great dining options and Blue Haven was the perfect spot to get away from it all for a few days.
Old May 24th, 2016, 01:48 PM

I think if you had stayed on Grace Bay you would have felt differently . The resorts & beach fronts on GB are fantastic.
Old May 24th, 2016, 06:15 PM

Great report! We had a similar experience. We stayed in a wonderful villa with a very private pool overlooking Cooper Jack Bay. It was breathtaking. We too toured much of the island and felt the same lack of something. And at the same time we loved our stay. Just don't think we will be called back.

I will politely disagree with Carlzack. We visited Grace Bay and had no interest staying there. But enjoyed our stay there. It may be rated highly, but it doesn't call us back, nor did our tour of a few resorts call us to do things any different then we did. It was perfect, just not calling for a repeat visit.
Old May 25th, 2016, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Inak, I also disagree with Caribzak.

We did visit Grace Bay but I was glad we didn’t stay there. It was beautiful though and there are some lovely restaurants on it so I understand the appeal ; it’s just not for me.

Like you we did have a perfect vacation and an extremely relaxing time on the island, it’s just not somewhere I’d run back to because it definitely was lacking something to me.
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 04:58 AM

I love the place, but you both are correct...This island lacks so many things...nightlife, action, mountains, waterfalls, hiking trails, awesome snorkeling off shore, gardening/farming/horticultural, cruise ship passengers, and European culture. What is does not lack, is world class beautiful bodies of water, world class diving, world class dining, and it is relatively easy to get there. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if this island doesn't call you, try another. There are some lovely ones out there...
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 09:49 AM

Agree rit3