Treasure Beach - Beach/Water Qs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my very short lived research of this area, I have come to appreciate Tivertonhouse's insights. My thoughts & prayers go out to those left behind.

I am very much intrigued by TB as it seems to be right up my alley. For context, Tortola is my first love.

There are several villas that will fill the bill nicely, but I'm uneasy regarding the beach & water.

Most photos I've seen show what appears to be hard, brown beach with dark, even silty water. Contrast with the gin-clear water and white sand beaches we all dream of. Is this simply characteristic of the area of the island or am I missing the mark on this?

Anyone care to speak to the issue of beach/water appearance?

Is there a particular section of TB that soars above the rest in these aspects?

Thanks
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 05:37 PM

I've been to both Tortola and to Treasure Beach, and while I enjoyed both very much, I definitely preferred Treasure Beach. You're spot-on about the beaches--the sand is darker, parts of the shore are rocky, and while the water itself is clear, it doesn't get that brilliant shade of turquoise that I associate with Cane Garden Bay or anyplace else in the BVI. The water is also a bit rougher, or at least it was during my January stay. I've never been to Tortola in the winter, but I understand they get winter swells on the north shore there, so perhaps the water is really about the same in both places.

Treasure Beach felt more islandy, more West Indian, than Tortola, which felt more modern, more touristy. I also felt a bit like a second-class tourist on Tortola since I was land-based and not staying aboard a sailboat.

Tortola definitely has better beaches and better snorkeling. If these are most important to you, you might be disappointed in TB. But if you value a sense of community, some lovely albeit darker sand beaches, and a sense of escapism--if you value the lack of resorts and condos, if you value sustainable development, and a very strong West Indian flavour, you'll really love TB.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ejcrowe! I know that you've enjoyed Tortola so I really appreciate your compare/contrast. A shared frame of reference can be invaluable.

Great Bay looks promising as it appears to have a bit more of the beach characteristics that we enjoy.

The TB vibe is exactly what we want but we also crave the Negril/MoBay beach/water (sans crowds)....arghhh!

Is Port Antonio a viable compromise?

Thanks for the assist, folks.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 01:19 PM

Tortola I can't compare to but Portland and Treasure Beach, yes.

Portland (Port Antonio is the capital of the parish of Portland, the best beaches are actually to the east of Port A) has many white sand clear water beaches and shares a not-too-touristy vibe with Treasure Beach.

It is also stunning...mountains and jungle right to the sea, many small cove beaches, at least one long (1 mile + at Long Bay), rivers, waterfalls, many things to do.

Getting to Porty is a little time consuming right now with the road from Ocho Rios under construction, but from Kingston it is fine, I am told.

Truthfully the distance of Porty from either airport is the only thing that keeps this gem from being overrun with tourists. I find the drive completely worth it if spending at least a few days there.

Just because I'll be with friends who haven't yet been, I'm headed to Treasure Beach again this fall. The beaches do have dark sand there, though some are better for swimming than others. If you crave white sand you don't have to go too far to get it - Negril is 2 hours, Bluefields not much over an hour.

We are renting a villa also and just made sure to rent one with a pool.

I really like the small town feel of TB, it's friendly and has little traffic, little hustle...it's a place to chill and yet also has neat things to do not far away.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 07:28 AM

Tortola is our fav spot. Cane Garden Bay (CGB) is a great place to stay for variety of people and dining/entertainment options, we stayed at Myett's for a week. Also a water Taxi to Jost Van Dyke and Soggy $ Bar (White Bay) and Foxy's (Great Harbor).
CGB Beach is nice, you do get swells but nothing to worry about. I would not compare CGB to the Mayan Riviera, Barbados, or Provo's Grace Bay - but it's a nice beach and a great bay. Other beaches are nicer on Tortola, but CGB has an appeal. Proximity of other islands is also a benefit to staying on Tortola.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, ejcrowe, liza and blue_water.

I've cranked-up my Portland research and indeed, it looks like just what I'm looking for on this visit.