Transfer from Kingston to PA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be staying at Goblin Hill, Port Antonio. My flight however doesn't arrive into Kingston until 9:30p Thurs night. We are planning on renting a car but I know with having to clear customs and immigration we are not going to get out of the airport until after 10p. The hours for all the rental companies I've contacted are 8a-10p. I really don't want to overnight in Kingston, Does anyone have advice on some options?
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 04:03 PM

Personally I would rather overnight in Kingston than drive to Port Antonio that late. The roads are pretty difficult. There are plenty of places in Kingston that are safe.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 04:21 PM

I think I would try to stay in Kingston , as daunting as that might sound . I would never want to do that coast road or blue mountain drive at night ..... YIKES !!!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 06:33 PM

I agree with the others on staying the night in Kingston. Unless your are very used to driving in that area I would make plans to pick up the rental car in the morning at the airport or make arrangements to have it delivered to your hotel. I'd suggest the Hilton or Pegasus in New Kingston area. If for some reason a night in Kingston is out of the question, you can make arrangements for your car to be available. Just give them a call and explain your situation. If none of the big rental agencies will help ask for a local rental agency that will meet you at the airport ater hours.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 01:11 AM

Try NOT to drive on island at night, esp.after a long flight since you'll have at least 2-3 hours of driving ahead of you on unknown and often iffy roads (take the coast road around to Porty). Carolyn Barrett (barrettadventures.com)has a secure and inexpensive overnight lodging choice (think it's called Countryside Inn) in-town but you still need to get intown at night so I'd recommend hiring a driver to drive you and the car to wherever in Kingston you overnight.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 01:13 AM

Better yet, I'd just hire a driver to drive you and car to Porty and arrive at midnight or after -- rather than stay overnight in Kingston.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 04:36 AM

Exactly , hire Derrons out of Portie ( drapers actually ) , they will pick u up , then simply rent from them ...??? They have a web-page . Google " Derrons Port Antonio " . We found them great !
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the wonderful advice, I actually called Derron's and spoke with him, he said he would pick us up and we could rent the car from him and he would take us back to the airport when we leave. Goblin Hill also has something set up with Island car rentals, pick up service too, I'm going to compare the rates and decide. I think Goblin hill has a car package where the airport pick up is included in the rate. You only have to pay for the return trip to the airport $70. I don't know if that's per person or not. That would save me some $. I'm getting more and more excited, I've never been this prepared for any other trip , I LOVE THIS FELLING OF CONTROL!!!
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 05:52 PM

Cool ..... Goblin Hill actually uses Derron's as their shuttle to Frenchmans Cove Beach . On the web-site it used to say that San San was the free entry beach with G.H. But when we were there it had changed to Frenchmans Cove ( local squabbling between hotel owners etc,. ) . This was fine , we would walk with our 5 and 8 yr. old . and Frenchmans is only a couple of hundred feet farther down the road !!!
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 05:56 PM

Say hello to dearest " Joan " for Faith , Francois , Willem and Bella from Canada .... she was our awesome housekeeper . Joanna , the owners sister lives on site and runs a tour company , and be sure to go for evening drinks to the tree bar !! Ahhhh.... BEAUTIFUL !!! Incredible foilage and LUSH !!!!