Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Tortola: Sunset View Vacation Rentals w/ Mr. Elvin Stoutt?? Has anyone stayed there?

Search

Tortola: Sunset View Vacation Rentals w/ Mr. Elvin Stoutt?? Has anyone stayed there?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 05:23 AM
Nicole

I am reserving Blind Man' Suite. Any comments appreciated. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Nicole

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 07:34 PM
Stu

Hi Nicole: <BR> <BR>Sorry I can't help you with advice on your accomodations. But, I'm planning a vacation to Tortola and leaning towards Fisherman's Cay Hotel. Do you know about this Hotel or do you have any suggestions about anyothers on Tortola. I'm traveling single and solo and am looking for the ultimate "kick back" no noise, no crowd, no disco beachcommer vacation. <BR> <BR>Appreciate any suggestions. <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR> <BR>Stu

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 10:29 PM
Ann

Stu, I think you mean Frenchman's Cay. Excellent resort. Small, intimate, very spacious and fully equipped villas (small homes actually). Wonderful views, superb management. As they say in the real estate biz: location, location, location! <BR>

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 10:56 PM
Ann

Nicole, the Stoutt family have a long and prestigious history on Tortola. The patriarch died a few years ago and was the governmental leader of the island (don't know what they call the position). In any case, certain choice propertis had been acquired during the senior Mr. Stoutt's years in gov't service. Sunset was a part of that. I've been in the villa and a very fine villa it is! I still have the photos I took inside and also photos of their other villas in the Long Bay area. Its location is just above Long Bay Beach and has the absolute optimum position on what is one of the lovliest beaches in the Caribbean, imo. There's an upstairs suite and a downstairs one. It is well suited for 2 couples that are vacationing together as the suites share a kit/dr that's on a split level as I recall, so if you were taking one or the other, I'm not sure how it would work out with whomever took the other suite. Nevertheless, there is a small, fully equipped kitchen on the first floor. Point is, you cannot (as I recall) secure the two suites from each other---it's a house, basically. <BR>I will add that there are very few villas as close to the beach as this one, mainly because you have to build above the high water mark and for the most part the ground slopes very gradually to the low water mark, thus the villas are usually well back from the beach. In the case of Sunset, it is built in sort of a nook in the rocks at a point where the hills drop sharply into the water. If you were on your verandah there right now and facing the Atlantic (its on the Atlantic side, you know), to your right would be cliffs that separate Long Bay from, I think, Apple Bay, and to your left starting right at your feet, is Long Bay and its beach. <BR>The decor is austere, but comfortable, in the Caribbean fashion. Surfaces are done in pure white. <BR>I have a question for you Nicole. Are you not dealing with Areanas Villas on this? Last I knew, they owned that villa and before that it was a part of Rockview Holiday Homes. The biggy of the lot was/is Sunset House which is huge and a stone's throw from Sunset Villa. The most beautiful, though, imo is Equinox House, same general locale, up higher, actually behind and above Long Bay Resort. Unless you want to be on the beach you might check that one out. Apparently, the family has had its problems--maybe a little internal warfare---and properties may have changed hands. If you've gotten useful info from this response to your question, I'd very much like to know what you learn. When I was there I dealt with a daughter of old Levity Stoutt (the aforementioned patriarch)--I think her name was Persia--who was most helpful and professional. <BR>Thanks.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 07:25 AM
MLD

Nicole, I think Ann means Sunset Villa which is different from Sunset View Vacation Rentals. You can find info on Sunset View at www.bviguide.com/sunsetview/index2.htm. they have private kitchens.