Tortola - Long Bay Resort

Jul 10th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Adrian

Tortola - Long Bay Resort

Hi-My wife and I will be travelling to Tortola next month and wanted to get some feedback on Long Bay Beach Resort. We were looking for a nice clean place to stay as a central point to doing things around the BVIs. Probably won't be spending a whole lot of time in our rooms or the pool. Their site looks ok with some reasonable rates..Any opinions on the value and quality there? Thanks.

Jul 10th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Nancy

Hi Adrian,
I found Long Bay to be very nice and a good value for the money - especially in the off season.
The beach there is not very big or wide, but it is nice. You can walk down to Smuggler's Cove, which is close by and a gorgeous beach.
You can also walk over the hill to Bomba's and a couple of nice restaurants.
We got a beach room with a great big tile bath, but I've also heard good things about the hillside rooms and villas.
The food at the resort was excellent.

Jul 10th, 2002, 03:12 PM
jackie

I stayed at Long Bay in March. The rooms were clean and while the beach is beautiful, it is not good for swimming. We had breakfast at the beach a few mornings; the setting was wonderful. The pool was in tough shape. Taxis were required to go just about everywhere.

The biggest problem was the front desk--it would have been a pleasant stay except for having to deal with them. One of the more annoying things was that they wanted a 2 hour notice to call a taxi. I'd suggest hooking up with a local taxi driver rather than using the hotel service.

If the price were right, I'd go there again, but I would avoid the staff at the front desk.

Jul 10th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Frankie

Overpriced for the quality of the resort and quantity of service. Water is very rocky and if you happen to catch a rare day when it is not too rough to go in it still is not good because of the rocks and coral. Smugglers is a long hot walk but they will tell you it is not and then charge for a shuttle or you drive or taxi there on an awful road. So if you want a nice beach look elsewhere. I'm not sure that Nancy is talking about Long Bay on Tortola or Long Bay on Beef Island because the one that I stayed at has a long beach hence the name Long Bay but since she walked - not an easy task to Bombas and Smugglers - I am guessing it is the same one!

Jul 11th, 2002, 08:28 AM
jack

Loved Long Bay for our honeymoon stay in September. Staff and everyone else is on island time and suggest you throw away your watch upon arrival on Tortola.

Food was awesome and pricey but we had a package that gave us breakfast and a couple of dinners.

The Beach.. Being from New England we had no issues with their beach. I think some folks are looking for the typical cover shots of a pristine and flacid ocean.

But as you stated you won't be on the grounds much. The hotel is a great spot for the West End. Otherwise best to rent a jeep for a couple of days as cab rides to town and elsewhere can add up

Jul 11th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Nancy

Jack, There's a BIG difference between "placid" and "flaccid."
Adrian, Jack has some good points, and I'm glad to hear the food is still as good as I remember it at Long Bay.
His pointer to rent a jeep is a good one - especially if you are going to Smuggler's Cove. It is a long hot rocky walk. A lot of cabs wouldn't go there because of the road. I read where the friendly proprietor of the hotel/honor bar at Smuggler's Cove just died, so bring your own cooler with food/dinks if you go. (It's one of the nicest beaches in the Caribbean.)
Have fun!

Jul 12th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Joel

My wife and I go to Tortola every year and have stayed at a variety of resorts. If you are accustomed to big resorts, then LB can work for you. Tortola, though, features small resorts and does a very good job with its offerings.
I have been to LB and have taken a few strolls on the beach with the manager, but I can't recommend it.
What I do recommend are the following.
First of all, there is Frenchman's Cay Resort, which offers you a small villa with a splendid view of the sea and islands, an excellent alfresco restaurant, and suupurb privacy. It is wonderful and we have been there 5 times.
Second, we recommend Fort Recovery. It is waterside and you step out of your room right onto the beach. The guests tend to get close because it, like Frenchmans, is small.
Third, there is Sugar Mill. Not unlike a New England inn, but set in the Caribbean.
That's it. I wouldn't recommend any other location on Tortola. But on Virgin Gorda, I suggest Biras Creek at the upper end and Olde Yard Inn in the mid-range. Both are, like my other suggestions, outstanding and excellent values for the money.

Jul 15th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Molly

We went to Long Bay in June and had a great trip - we were a bit nervous about making reservations there because this board has such mixed feedback. We liked our room - clean, large, comforatable and right on the beach. We thought the beach was beautiful - you just need to find the spots that aren't as rocky to go swimming. The front desk service ranged from excellent to pretty bad depending on who was up there. We rented a jeep which I recommend so you don't have to rely on taxi's - everyone keeps complaining about Long Bay's request that you ask for your taxi's ahead of time but they are simply responding to the nature of the taxi's in the area - they don't respond within minutes. I would recommend Long Bay to most folks...

Aug 8th, 2002, 03:15 AM
Lori

I'm so surprised by the responses here. The rooms are far from clean, the service is awful, the pool is in need of repair and if you are used to staying at five star hotels you will be in for the shock of your lives. This hotel is way way way overpriced.

Aug 8th, 2002, 05:18 AM
gadfly

Who ever said that Long Bay was 5 star?? It is not the Ritz but a nice Caribbean hotel which operates on island time.

People either hate this place or love it with no middle ground. You have to wonder about the expectations of those who were not pleased.

Aug 8th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Trzvlr

it is expected at a beach resort that there is swimming and a swimmable beach. They misrepresent what they offer so no matter how low your expectations are if they don't offer what they say they do you'll be disappointed. Long Bay is a BIG disappointment.

Aug 8th, 2002, 06:04 AM
travel some?

Now it is is a beach resort? It is an ocean side resort with zero water activties. They do not have jet skis sailboats or lifeguards, boundries or silly towel rules. What do you mean by a swimmable beach? Can you not enter the water via the grounds of the hotel? Waves action too much? (this is an ocean not a pool) Like it was said before and I have been there it is a nice hotel on the water, runs on island time and has an expansive beach where I had no problem with swimming?

Aug 8th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Trzvlr

have traveled extensively but Long Bay was one of the ONLY places where one could NOT get into the water without combat boots to transverse the rocky coral shoreline and the waves made it impossible to get above your ankles wet even in the two tiny places where you can get in the water when the sea is not running (usually off season in the summer). Smugglers is NOT a short walk and one must either be held hostage to their shuttle on your own dime or rent a vehicle and get a kidney transplant when you get home if you want to swim. I didn't say anything about water toys which are not what I wanted. I want to swim. You know what that is? Not standing in the water drinking but that bit of exercise? Of course I could stay home and swim in a chlorine pool instead of wasting money doing that in the Caribbean or even stayed home and enjoyed my own beach but I happen to enjoy being on vacation and doing the things that I enjoy.
It is what it is and no more but to put it in a luxury catagory since there are no luxury resorts on Tortola is very misleading. It may be on a beach but to claim a wonderful Caribbean swimming beach is misrepresentation.
Of course, since jet skis are illegal in the BVI's for most - you register them as you would if you were bring in a gun but you should know that if you know anything about the BVI's. Few caribbean islands offer lifeguards or roped off swimming areas other than by marinas or yacht clubs and as for silly towel rules at least most places they offer changing rooms and other amenities that Long Bay seems to be clueless about. And you seem to not be aware of Caribbean travel if that is your summary.
It is a moderate hotel with little redeeming quality, hot hillside villas with long walks up - they don't provide shuttle service although they say they do but I prefer beachfront. The rooms were nicely sized and line staff was great. Management was unconcerned.
Frenchman's Cay offers much more for the value as does Lambert's which has the same or more of the same water conditions but they are honest about it.
You can love it or hate it or even be one of the owners there who have a stake in its success. Hummmmmmm ... I wonder.

Aug 8th, 2002, 06:56 AM
gadfly

Again not sure what the expectations are for Caribbean travelers? Bumpy road to Smugglers? The roads in the BVI's for the most part are hair raising. If someone said go to swim at Smugglers instead of Long Bay then go or don't go stop whining about the road. If you had thought to ask you could of gone over the hill by blacktop and visited great beaches on that side. But I suppose traveling over the hill by cab or walking is an issue as well?
Combat boots? The issue had nothing to do with water toys but your apparent limited experience at any beach and calling Long Bay a "Beach resort" The point was that Long Bay offers zero in terms of Beach Resort services other than direct access to the water which anyone who does not need floaties can do. Surf is part of an ocean and you can avoid this by researching and choosing a place based upon this board and other sources. To say that you cannot get into the water at Long Bay even at the far end where the beach is wider is mis-leading. Buyer beware as most people should understand and take all these comments with a grain of salt.

Aug 8th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Trzler

grain of salt incling someone whose interests in the resort are suspect? how 'bout misrepresentation? my source was repeated calls directly to the resort. Not a beach resort? Then why the name Long Bay Beach Resort. They said Smugglers was a short walk IF it was too rough. I relied on that. Not whining at all but educating as the the conditions at Long Bay. Right, some people don't want to commute to the beaches since that's what they do at home for work and are trying to get away from. They want a beach resort where they can enjoy the beach including the water without spending half their vacation driving around. Tortola is not for everyone for sure and the BVI roads are pretty good compared to many islands I've driven on. The floaties comment I won't even waste my bandwidth on. The water was rough by anyone's standard and IN SEASON (the winter) it can be unswimmable. Maybe you are one of the off-season travelers when the rates are low and it's worth it and you can get good swimming once you get past the rocks. Travelers have a right to know that. To deny the rocks and the roughness tells me you are indeed one of the so called "owners" who can't stand to have their choice criticized.
It maybe perfect for some.
But to make informed decisions and research a place you have to hear all sides and different experiences. You don't want to admit that Long Bay has the good, the bad and the ugly just like most places in the Caribbean. The perfect place is few and far between.
You are right. The buyer should be very careful especially at Long Bay. ues

Aug 8th, 2002, 08:36 AM
linda

My husband and I stayed there last June and are returning next June. Depends on what you want in a place . The grounds were landscaped beautifully, and we had breathtaking views from our jacuzzi suite. We walked the long beach daily and swam at the western part of the beach with no trouble.The soft, smooth sand was lovely.We had fresh flowers and water in our rooms daily. We enjoyed having the refrigerator.The maid always smiled at us. We made friends with bartenders and front desk personnel.
All these complainers must be terribly unfit and lazy. The walk to Smuggler's was about 3/4 of a mile, tops. The trail was pretty and we saw some interesting large lizards.
Long Bay has a very nice workout room with weights, treadmill, stair stepper, and Universal machine- also a TV and towels. Better than some 5 star hotels I've been in! The pool is large enough to do laps, and the tennis courts are great- along with an excellent pro.
We walked to Bomba's- there was no traffic in the West End at that hour. Long Bay sits off any main drag and is blissfully quiet. You can rent a jeep on the property- not too hard to drive around there.If you want our trip report, I'll send it to you!

Aug 8th, 2002, 09:13 AM
confused

why is it that if someone doesn't like your favorite spot or had a different experience must they be "lazy" or "unfit" or be called names? I also did not enjoy Long Bay and would never recommend it to some but that doesn't mean that others can't enjoy. Everyone is different but I would never recommend a beach lovers vacation at Long Bay because of the lack of swimming. I swim daily to stay fit and was disappointed that I had to swim in a pool. I might call someone who thinks Long Bay is luxury or wonderful is untraveled, willing to settle, more interested in jeeping about and Bomba's mushroom tea (what a joke - he buys them in the grocery!), naive, stupid and all kinds of names but it is what they want and like. Walk to Bomba's at nite? You are more naive than most! Every pot has a lid.

Aug 8th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Beth

Okay Karen, once again, you made your point about Long Bay!

Aug 8th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Nancy

I am really amazed by some of these posts! Who ever claimed Long Bay was "Five Star" or "luxury?" It's inexpensive as waterfront properties go, and there's a good reason for that -you get what you pay for.
All Adrian did was ask for a clean place to stay, not going to be in the room much, centrally located, with reasonable rates. Long Bay fits that request perfectly. How did this post degenerate into name-calling and rude bad-mouthing?
"Confused," I've traveled the Caribbean extensively for years and KNOW where I can and can't walk safely. Over the hill to Bomba's at any time of the day or night is just about as safe as safe gets. The walk to Smuggler's Cove is no big deal if you are even in remotely good shape.
It's really hard for me to understand how some of these people for whom life is so stressful can ever find a place that meets their expectations. I've been to places I wouldn't go back to, but never experienced the kind of misery with the whole experience some of the poor people on this thread have!

Aug 8th, 2002, 04:30 PM
joe

Linda and Nancy are correct. You are probably a snobbish, fat American who expects black waiters in white coats to bring him rum drinks with parasols at the pool. He probably thinks Aruba is heaven. Class to him is Atlantis, Bahamas. The BVI is non-commercial, no 5-star resorts in Tortola and that's why we return yearly. Some times on charters, some times at Long Bay, we've stayed in Villas as well. We liked one stay at Ft Burt. Long Bay was just fine- no they don't "pamper " all these spoiled people....they just run a nice, clean place. It is an easy ferry from West End to USVi and Jost. It was NOT overpriced.We stayed at Caneel for more than twice the price, no a/c....service was snooty and it was not fancy at all. It offered some great beaches and good food, but could hardly justify the price.What gives here?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO