Tortola Lodging - Sugar Mill or LongBay?

Old May 3rd, 2002, 07:46 AM
Carrie

Tortola Lodging - Sugar Mill or LongBay?

I think I have read much of what is on this Board about lodging in Tortolla but I still can't decide...Sugar Mill or Long Bay? I am heading with my friend to Tortolla for a 5 day trip. We are two 20 somethings who want to snorkel, relax, explore, do a day sail, scuba once, eat good food...thoughts? We certainly don't need luxery but would like somewhere pretty nice with beautiful surroundings. Anyone want to offer a suggestion?

Old May 3rd, 2002, 07:56 AM
linda

Shoot- I'm just posting my trip report to everyone- hope you don't mind. I read some negatives about Long Bay, but we just loved it! I recommend you take your daysail with the Patouche II- they are great and know the BEST snorkeling sites.Read my report for food suggestions. I liked staying at the West End- it was quiet,no traffic- we walked a lot, were close to the ferry, etc. You can rent a jeep at Long Bay, which I recommend doing so that you can visit all the cool places. http://www.traveltalkonline.com/wwwt...sts&Main=39406

Old May 3rd, 2002, 08:02 AM
Dan

Long Bay was very nice and has a better location than Sugar Mill. We stayed there last year (in our 20's) and loved Long Bay.
We also visited Sugar Mill and would suggest having a meal there. Sugar Mill caters more to an older establishment and is very very quiet.
Our room was very clean and stylish at Long Bay and it is a short walk to Bomba's and Quito's. Have a great time.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 08:29 AM
linda

hi again. Dan, it is NOT a short walk to Quito's! Although we walked to Bomba's, Cane Garden Bay is a good 5 miles from Long Bay over a VERY twisted road (remember the switchbacks, LOL)You will need a jeep or taxi to go there. BTW- Long bay has beautiful grounds and a HUGE pool, tennis courts and gym.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 09:16 AM
linda

btw, also forgot to mention that you need the pool at Long Bay since the ocean water is not very swimmable. Rocky and rough except way down at the end.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 03:52 PM
Jackie

I stayed at Long Bay in March. Pluses: good setting, beautiful looking beach, clean room, absolutely gorgeous view from room with sounds of the waves crashing on the beach. Minuses: dealing with the front desk, beach got rocky once you got in the water, no double bedded rooms, pool in serious need of repair and need to provide a 2 hour notice for a taxi.

We did a day sail with Patouche--that was wonderful. Found some good restaurants. Really enjoyed the food at Jolly Roger and Palm Delight. Also ate at Brandywine and Sugar Mill--they had great atmosphere and glad I went, but next time I will go for the less formal, less expensive settings.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 05:00 PM
lauren

I have stayed at Long Bay Beach twice and most recently, the beach has been sharply eroded by the water. However, the hotel is great and has nice rooms and it is worth staying here just for the short walk to Bomba's. Definitely plan your trip around the full moon party at Bomba's - it is a must for a big party fun island style.

Old May 5th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Bob

Just back two weeks from Long Bay Resort. The beach was great, rooms were clean and nice, however dealing with the front desk is not easy. It can sometimes be a long lengthy process.
The restaurant food has always the same menu, not too imaginative. A steak, a chicken, very little seafood except for a fish. This never changes and is very pricey. Two buffets are offered during the week at $36 per person and $18 for children (no matter how young).

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Carrie

Thanks for everyone's advice. We are going to stay at Long Bay - we're also going to spend one day with Pantouche. We're going to rent a jeep and do as much research as we can ahead of time so we don't have to rely on the front desk so much. Thanks!

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:36 AM
linda

You'll love Joe and Julie on the Patouche. They know the best snorkeling spots. Don't forget to try Egbert's $5 Island Breakfast at the Shell Museum. Good luck if you can finish it! It's a short drive from LBR and the breakfast is a lot more robust and cheaper than Long Bay! We brought some cereal and bowls from home and purchased milk and other items there to save a few dollars.It's nice to have a frig in the room.

Old May 6th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Joel

Definitely go with Sugar Mill, even if you have to change your reservations. There just isn't any comparison, as one who has been to both, plus a few of the other resorts on Tortola (one L).
Quality of service, MUCH better dining. But LB has a much better beach.