COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

To mymoosie

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 02:12 AM
owa

To mymoosie

Kris, I just was reading a post where you said you had been to Culebra in March. We have a future trip to Vieques and I'd like to go to Culebra also. I'm not only trying to figure out where to stay in Culebra, but which island I should go to first and how to get between the two without going back thru SJ. Where did you stay in Culebra? I sure would welcome any advice. We were in Vieques last December and loved it. Thanks, Owa

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 11:33 AM
owa

ttt

Old Jul 9th, 2006, 03:33 PM

Hi Owa! We stayed at Palmetto Guest House in Culebra. It was basic but clean. We had a small room with its own bathroom, which was adequate since we were only there 3 days. There's a shared kitchen and living room. It's definitely not a hotel or resort. The upstairs was a full apartment that you can rent out. Here are some photos of the room and the shared spaces:
http://imageevent.com/kajugo/2006hot...ettoguesthouse

It was a different experience for us, but enjoyed it. The other place we had looked at staying is Club Seabourne. We could see ourselves staying there next time. I would not recommend Costa Bonita. We were originally booked there and cancelled it. The place looked deserted when we dropped by.

Another place that seems to get a good recommendation is Bahia Marina (www.bahiamarina.net).

There is an active Culebra forum at http://www.islaculebra.com/index.htm if you want to check that out.

Maybe you can fly from Vieques to Culebra, or catch the ferry? I'm really not sure as this was our first trip to PR.

If I can answer any other questions just holler. =)

Happy planning!
Kris
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 06:29 AM
owa

Kris, thanks for replying--you give me hope. I have been very discouraged trying to figure out where to stay. No one place gets consistent reviews. One of the biggest complaints at almost all the places is that they are dirty. I could handle dirty when I was young, but not now.

I'll get on the forum that you suggested and see if someone can help. Not many posters here mention Culbera. I'm going to start looking at houses although many require a week's stay. I'll also look at Palmetto.

Thanks again for your help. Owa

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 03:03 AM

While on an extended stay on Vieques last winter, we decided to visit Culebra.
We did not want to pay to fly, so we took the 6:30 am ferry to Fajardo, then the 9 am ferry from Fajardo to Culebra. So2 1/2 hours of ferry riding(we did not mind)
However, I mixed up my schedules and while we planned to take the 5 pm ferry out of Culebra to Fajardo, then over to VQS, the VQS ferry left before we arrived in Fajardo!!
So we went into Vacation Planners and they found us a little studio apt for the night for $100. It was not great, but would do. Also it was only a half mile or so walk to town.
So, you probably do not want to waste all that time on a ferry wasting valuable vacation time. We found out you can fly Air Flamenco between VQS and Culebra for $25 one way.
That is your best bet, not very expensive afterall!
I cannot help with the accomodations, but check out enchanted-isle.com, on the Culebra link, they have a few places listed.
Good luck and have fun.