Search

To AI or not to AI?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To AI or not to AI?

For those of you who have done both, which do you prefer? And is it worth the extra money?
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 04:49 AM

It's hard to make generalizations but in my opinion AI's appeal to younger travellers and those on a strict budget. There are, of course, exceptions.

Having done both, we normally avoid AI's because you become "wedded" to the resort. We enjoy exploring "off resort" and dining "around the island". The food at most AI's is mediocre at best (quantity over quality) and since enjoy dining around we rarely opt for "meal plans". We are also not "big drinkers" so unlimited alcohol is of little interest to us. Of course, there are some resorts (usually very upscale) that are quite remote and therefor it behooves one to go "AI" or at least opt for a meal plan.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 05:08 AM

One of my favorite things about traveling is finding new restaurants and local bars bars.

All-inclusive to me would be a waste of a vacation.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Jed

It depends on where you are going. Are the surrounding areas safe to travel? Are there good restaurants around? Do you like finding new restaurants? Are the restaurants good at the AI?
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm still unsure of where we're going to go for vacation so I may be back for more advice.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 08:32 AM

It depends where it is. If it is hard to find a restaurant or is a very expensive island, AI is very convenient. But otherwise we do not opt for AI eg on the French or ABC islands.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 09:14 AM

IMHO you should first decide on a destination. Some areas you will not have a choice. For example, Punta Cana, DR has not developed enough yet to have restaurants that are easy to reach, so a AI is the way to go. On the other hand, if you go to Aruba, there are soooooooooooo many good restaurants it would be shame to go AI, although there are a few AI's. Decide on a destination and ask the question again. Some islands do not have all-inclusives like Provo, T&C and Anguilla, for example.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 09:25 AM

You might want to do a search, since this topic comes up pretty frequently. I'm partially recycling a response I just posted on another forum today.

IMO, there are several things to consider in determining whether AI or not is the best choice for you:

1) Where are you going? Some destinations have a lot more AIs than others. For example, there are islands where the infrastrucutre and development patterns have made AI the most practical choice (e.g., the Domincan Republic) while other islands (e.g., Anguilla, Grand Cayman) have few if any AI resorts.

2) What is your vacation style? AIs may be a better choice for people who primarily stay at the resort, either relaxing or participating in activities. If you prefer to spend a lot of time away from the resort on excurisions, hiking, siteseeing, dining at different places, etc. AIs may not be a good choice. Also, consider your preferences for activities at your resort when choosing, and note that many AI resorts do not include all activities/amenities they offer in the base price (so if a particular activity is important for you to have, find out if the resort includes it in the AI price).

3) What are your eating/drinking preferences? AI resorts base their pricing on an assumption that most guests will take advantage of the included drinks and three meals (plus snacks) daily. If you are not a big eater or drinker, AI might not be the most cost-effective vacation option for you.

Personally, I usually prefer non-AI but AI can be good choices in some situations. For me (I'm not a big eater or drinker and often travel solo), it is only worthwhile from a cost perspective if the resort has a lot of activities/amenities included that I will take advantage of (e.g., Body Holiday at LeSport in St. Lucia). The other reasons that I personally would consider AIs are: 1) travelling with people who may have different preferences than me regarding eating and drinking 2) travelling to a place where dining options are limited or where it is not safe/convenient to leave the resort.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 03:32 PM

If you're worried about high costs at your destination, you may want to consider an AI. Your accommodations, meals, activities and drinks are covered. They do charge extra for sightseeing excursions.
I still feel that you need to take the time to explore the the island you are on in detail though.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 09:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
IMO you need to have a specific destination in mind to answer this question

Some resorts are isolated so AI makes since.

Other places where the resort/hotel is in or near a town or city offering lots of cafes & restaurants, then that's a different situation entirely.