Search

time share

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 1997, 09:50 AM
theresa

time share

Could you please give me information on how time shares work? What are the advantages and disadvantages of staying in one? Would you recommmend it or not? Specifically, I'm thinking of Taino Beach Resort in Freeport, Grand Bahama, but I would appreciate any information on time shares in general.

Old Mar 23rd, 1997, 08:04 PM
Bob Mugge

I think they are overpriced,and, have high maintenance fees,
and what if the property goes bankrupt or is sold,
this happens. Secondly I have been hounded in Mexico, and the Bahamas to buy a time share. Why buy one in a foriegn country, when you supposedly can trade for one week any where?. If you get ripped off in the Bahama's who are you going to have recourse with? 10 r 12 grand, plus maintenance fees every month just for a weeks LODGING doesn't seem all that good of a deal. Good Luck.

Old Mar 29th, 1997, 01:35 PM
Karen Zinck

We've owned time-share for 3 years. It's not a cheap way to vacation and you have to be careful where you buy. You should buy at a place that you wouldn't mind going to every year just in case something happens to the "time-share" concept. You should stay at the resort before you buy. Buying the best (5star) makes your trading power the best. We've, had faboulous exchanges; staying/skiing right on Heavenly Mountain in Lake Tahoe; Los Cabos, Baja California (Mexico) and banked a week one year and had 3 weeks in Aruba. We bought in Aruba, La Cabana, that is outside the hurricane belt, one less thing to worry about. It's not a money making venture. It just lets you vacation at places that maybe outside your budget otherwise. When you own it and can travel on points for airfare it's a "free" vacation. Definitely not for everyone but we have no regrets. If you stay at a timeshare without owning, its just like being at a regular hotel.

Old Mar 30th, 1997, 12:25 PM
Kathy Hedine

We have owned at RCI for nearly nine years and have been happy with doing so. Our purchase is at the Oregon Coast and we have experienced management problems, which has seemingly resolved itself. Our
maintenance fees are paid annually and the cost of this is contingent upon the size of unit you have and how many weeks you own. These maintenance fees also describe what the fees pay for. (replenishing furnishings every 5 years or whatever), etc.

We have banked weeks when we chose not to go to the coast and have traded for time in Canada, Florida, Nevada, Idaho, etc. We have never been disappointed with the accomodations. They have all been 4-5 star resorts. We have had three trades to the same place in Canada with skiing on site! This is all within one days drive of our home.

We felt that buying from a foreign country was a bit risky, therefore, we bought in our own country. You never know what the other countrys' might decide to do regarding relations with the U.S.

If you would like more info, please email us @
[email protected].

PS: All time share contracts might and probably are different. Ours is an actual deed that we can will to loved ones and is good for life, not for a specific number of years.

Old Apr 1st, 1997, 07:49 AM
SGould

We have two timeshares that we have really enjoyed. I think the real advantage for us is that we travel with our children and with a timeshare you have a separate bedroom. Another definite advantage is the kitchen. It has saved us a great deal of money since our children would prefer to eat in the condo and my husband and I can enjoy dinners out alone. I would recommend purchasing somewhere that you would enjoy visiting numerous times when all else fails as far as trading. We own at two 5-star resorts and the tradability has been great. We have stayed in Hawaii, Lake Tahoe several times, will go to Germany this summer and have a beautiful place at Vail this next Christmas. We have no regrets!!

Old Apr 4th, 1997, 01:03 PM
Judy Stern

I understand you want to know the advantages of staying in a timeshare. As the people before me said, it affords much more room than a hotel and you can eat breakfast and lunch in and splurge for dinner, cruising and fun things.
I own several weeks and they did not cost me a fortune because I bought resales. With mainteenance fees and exchange fees, you need to check out all the particulars involved. For myself, it was the best thing I have done as I have been to places I might not have ever considered going to
at nominal costs and the accomodations have been superb, people friendly and the last place I stayed; the Costa Linda in Aruba has been frequented by the queen of the Netherlands.
If you are going to buy, if you want advise, buy in the states. Deeded property and less hassles and the major hotels are all getting into this business so it is not fly by night: Hyatts , Marriots, Hiltons and Disney are all in timeshare and Marriot has resales too! Hope this helps and enjoy your vacation. Let me know how you enjoyed it!