Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

THE SHARKS ALMOST HAD TO BEAT ME TO IT!!!!!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 07:49 AM
juli

Part 1 of 2I'M Backkkkkkk <BR> <BR>Apparently the post that I spent 1/2 my day on yesterday has disappeared so I guess I have to come up with a new one. Which is probably a good thing anyway because I wrote it on only 2 hours sleep. We had nightmarish delays heading out of ATL. And I had to come into work but then had to go home because I kept banging my head on the desk. <BR> <BR>Having said that I had an amazing 4 days in Cayman. The island was beautiful and I dont have anything to complain about....well thats not entirely true. This is the part some of you have been waiting for. <BR> <BR>My friend that had inspired the 1st posting that had everyone in an uproar is probably no longer a close friend. She complained about EVERYTHING. She was the only part of my trip that was a negative. She complained about 6,432 times in 5 days. The drinks werent strong enough, its too hot, the children are too noisy, they shouldnt allow kids over the age of 2 to go naked (this one went on for 1/2 a day),there arent enough towels, the room smells funny, How can stores open up 20 minutes after there posted hours (ever hear of island time?),$10 for a cheseburger, She wasnt getting tan, do you need me to go on? I should have kept a running list. She made us miss the ferry for Rum Point because she forgot her wrap and camera and then threw a fit. Bascially it was like traveling with a 5 year old that you couldn't disipline and who when rushed to do something will slow down out of spite. Ironically the best time I had in Cayman was our snorkeling trip she wasnt on. I think most of my hositility comes from the fact that I planned the whole trip, every detail, got us a tremendous upgrade and all I wanted and didnt receive was a thank-you. Needless to say I will never go on a vacation with her again. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 07:51 AM
juli

part 2 <BR>Having gotten that out of the way, I move on to the more pleasant things...... <BR> <BR>The restaurants <BR>We ate in the most incredible places. Our first night we ate at The Treehouse. For those who have never been, we ate at a table that was out on a dock over the coral reef and water under a gazebo with white twinkle lights overhead. It was the best atmosphere I could imagine. I could hardly believe that this was my life. The food was soooo good, and the best part was dessert. There snickers pie is a must. Our waiter Jason was as sweet as he could be and I enjoyed each moment of our first night on the island. <BR>The next night we ate at the Reef Grill. The food there was incredible. I had the Pepper-crusted Tuna with Oriental Noodles and veggies. It was the best meal I had while on the island. The atmosphere was good as well, and the live music made the night even better. The next night we made the haul to Pappagallo's and enjoyed another great meal. The potato gnocci was soooo good. We met a couple from Boston at the next table who where also staying at our hotel. The owner came out with bottles of grappa (sp?) a crazy strong wine and after indulging in that, Our new friends offered to give us a ride back which was great because we saved $20 on taxi fare. <BR>Our last night on the island we went to Smugglers Cove. We had a delicious meal but the romantic atmoshpere was wasted on the 3 of us. It had begun to rain just as we arrived so we couldn't eat outside but it was beautiful none the less. I would whole heartedly recommend each of these restaurants. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 07:51 AM
juli

part 3 <BR>The Hyatt <BR>Even though there are other places to stay on the island that are cheaper then the Hyatt, I found it to be a beautiful hotel. The grounds were so pretty and the staff was so friendly and helpful. The beach could have been bigger but at this time of year it wasnt too crowded so it was no problem. I loved that you could choose to do lots of activities right from the beach or just do nothing at all. I know its a pricy hotel, but it was nice to not have to worry about a thing and just enjoy being pampered. <BR> <BR>The people <BR>I am a people person and could not have been more pleased when I found every taxi driver, hotel worker, waiter/waitress, shop worker, and everyone we met while just walking around to be some of the nicest people in the world. They made me feel so at home and allowed me to be comfortable being nice back and chatting about myself and getting to know them. I loved that part best of all. <BR> <BR>The snorkelling <BR>The best day I had in cayman and one of the best I have ever had was going on the snorkelling trip to The coral gardens, barrier reef, and sting ray city. I have never seen anything like this and wished I has time to go again. It was just like being able to swim in a giant fish tank. In fact there was a shark that was inside a coral cave and our snorkel guide tried to get him or her to come out but they wouldn't. Much to my disappointment and evryone who was hoping I would get eaten. We did see a morey eel though and I wont soon forget the experience. I got the pitures back last night but they don't do the actual experience justice. I can't wait to do it again. And at $30 Us dollars, it was by far worth it. I would payed triple that. <BR> <BR>These where just some of the highlights that stand out in my head. I was alot more detailed yesterday but now that I am back at work I must actually get some work done. <BR> <BR>I have insisted that my boyfriend and I return sometime in late Feb. because I want him to know the beauty and the relaxation that I felt while there. All of my expectations where met and then some. The only negative had nothing to do with the island, it was the company I keep. <BR> <BR>I recommend The Cayman Islands to anyone who doesnt mind spending money (it wasn't that bad) to enjoy the finer things in life, its great for families, couples, really anyone who wants to appreciate how life should be lived. My daydreams will now revolve around the beach and the water and the beauty of it all and i can't wait to return. <BR> <BR>Thank you to everyone who offered advice and suggestions, you helped to make this trip so great. <BR>I am sorry that this may not be as amusing as all the other posting, but I am still dead tired from missing a nights sleep and must start to get work done so I can afford my next trip. <BR>Until my next trip...Talk to you soon <BR>Juli <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 03:05 PM
Sandy

Juli, <BR>I'm so glad you had a great time!! Despite your friend!! I have taken friends to the Caymans and I understand completely what your saying!! I like it alot better when it's just my husband and myself!! So did you ever make it over to Rum Point? That's the part of the island I stay at, and I was hoping you would get a chance to see it. <BR>Sandy

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 05:01 AM
juli

we did in fact make it to Rum Point after having to wait 3 hours for the next ferry because I was rushing her and she forgot things. I cant wait to go back with my boyfriend. My travel agent friend who booked the trip for me thinks we should go somewhere else new but why mess with perfection. <BR>I am intrested to know how is the island different near Rum Point then SMB? I assume its more secluded and not as touristy? The view from the plane was amazing and I wish we would have had time to rent a car an explore. Next time I will add at the very least one more day to the trip so we can do that. <BR>I guess we all live and learn and I thought it would be a female bonding thing to do before my boyfriend and I get engaged, and in some respects it made me more sure that he in fact is my best friend and the person I want to do everything with. So I guess I can always find a way to make a negative into a positive. <BR> <BR>Thanks for all your help and advice. I can see why you keep going back year after year. <BR>JK

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 12:21 PM
Sandy

Juli, <BR>The difference between Rum Point and 7MB is day and night!! Staying on the northside, we have made friends with a lot of the locals and you feel like your part of the community. To me 7MB is for tourists!! If you want to get to know the island and the people, you have to go off the tourist track, and go somewhere like Rum Point. <BR>Sandy

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 03:01 PM
Valerie

Hi Sandy, <BR> <BR>I was just wondering where Rum Point is on the island. My fiance and I are planning on spending our honeymoon there in late September (hoping the weather will hold out!). <BR> <BR>We love to get off the tourist track, and really learn about the destinations that we visit, and meet local people. <BR> <BR>Are there any good local restaurants that you would suggest we try out? <BR> <BR>Sandy, thanks a million for your help!! Juli, glad to hear you had such a great time! It is making me very excited to go - can't wait to snorkel and dive there!

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 06:25 AM
Sandy

Valerie, <BR>Rum Point is on the north side of the island. It's about a 45 minute drive from the airport. If your staying at Rum Point you'll definetely need a car!! I think it's the most gorgeous spot on the island. Not a lot of tourists or traffic, it's mostly residential homes and condos. There are several restaurants in the area, but if you want to get to know the locals and have a great meal and just a wonderful afternoon, go to the Driftwood Bar for their Sunday BBQ. It's from 3 to 7 pm. The Driftwwod is a locals hangout, and you'll meet some of the greatest people in the world!! Where are you staying? I have been going down every 6 months for the past 10 years, so if you have any questions about the area, please let me know?? You'll love it there! <BR>Sandy

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 10:38 AM
Cindy

Great posts!! I have a group of 50 leaving in a few weeks for Caymans..they are staying at the Westin and we have included breakfasts and dinners 2 of which are dine arounds. The restuartants Julie suggested sould wonderful. We have also included 2 cocktail parties, a beach day with equipment to use, treasure hunt jeep rally to Rum Point and all taxes and 100.00 room credit. Most of them are already complaining that they have to pay for some drinks. I told them to bring a bottle with and powdered mixes, or box wine, or those buckets of margaritia mix and they will be all set. They could evern run a Margaritia hut out of their rooms. Just kidding. I'm sure they will have a great time, based on the reports I have been reading here. Thanks

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 02:19 PM
Valerie

Hi guys! <BR> <BR>Thanks so much for the help - I am really getting excited the more research I do. <BR> <BR>One last questions however - we are going to have to take our honeymoon in late September. I have noticed some comments regarding rainy, cloudy weather during that time of year... <BR> <BR>Do you think that this is something I should be concerned about, or since it is the tropics, you are subject to rain no matter what time of year, at least for part of the day? <BR> <BR>thanks so much!

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 02:26 PM
lisa

Hello! Can you please tell me a little bit more about smugglers cove. We are going to Grand Cayman for our 2nd time in about 2 weeks. We thought about having our wedding anniversary dinner there. Is it really romantic? thanks

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 05:29 AM
juli

Lisa: <BR>Smugglers Cove is right outside the city of Georgetown. It is the most romantic dinner we had while there, ven though we where 3 women. The food was pretty good. It wasnt the best steak I ever had but it was very good non the less. Make sure you ask for a table by the window if you dine inside, we didnt get to eat outside because it had just rained but I think a table outside will be great too. The concierge at our hotel suggested smuggler's cove and she said it was her favorite place and I could see why. But the other places we went to where great too. But I think that you will like Smugglers cove for your anniversary. <BR>Have a great time and have the chocolate, carmel, pecan pie for dessert. <BR>JK

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 05:37 AM
juli

Valerie: <BR>I wouldnt worry too much about the weather. We had conflicted reports about the weather, with the tourist site, the weather channel etc. All you can do is hope for the best. We had days where is was cloudy but it was still hot and it didnt ruin our fun. There are ususually big puffy clouds that float around and depending on where you are depends on whether there is rain. And its a welcome relief from the incredibly hot sun. Make sure you bring alot of sunscreen. We used a bottle of 30 spf in 4 days. <BR>Because you going in Sept. and its still hurrican season its a risk but just be positive and I am sure you'll be fine. <BR>If you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask. Have a great time <BR>JK

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 09:08 AM
Valerie

Thanks so much Juli - that makes us feel better. We really want to go to Cayman, and don't want to change our plans because of the weather. We thought about Aruba because they don't have a hurricane season really, but I know the snorkeling and diving just can't compare. <BR> <BR>We'll let you know how it goes. We still have decided on a place to stay - I think we are going to rent a villa for the week, to get more out of our money, and get a feel for what Grand Cayman is away from the resorts. <BR> <BR>Thanks a mil! Glad you had such an awesome time!

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 03:04 PM
Sandy

Valerie, <BR>If you haven't picked a villa yet, please let me know what your looking for and exactly where you want to stay. I go down every 6 months and I'm very familiar with the villas down there. I might be able to help you. <BR>Sandy

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 03:30 PM
Bonita

<BR>Hey Cindy, please explain a treasure hunt jeep rally. Sounds like fun! <BR> <BR>Valerie, GC is such an easy island, if your group doesn't love it there's something wrong with them. <BR> <BR>Juli, thanks for the great trip report. Makes me anxious for my next vacation. We rent a car for the entire week & love the drive to Rum Point. Two more restaurant recommendations along the way: The Edge (very casual) & Lighthouse at the Breakers (resort casual, not formal) are 2 wonderful places to eat. Great snorkeling at the Edge & the Queen's Monument in Boddentown. <BR> <BR>Bonita <BR>p.s the gift shop at Rum Point has really nice t's & sundresses, pricey in comparison to the cruise ship shops, but worth the difference. Really nice things.