Reload this Page >

The Economy and Caribbean Travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 06:25 PM
DDiver

For the past several years the booming economy has fueled the Caribbean travel market.This has demand has led to exorbitant airfares by AA and other airlines.The all inclusive resorts have increased their rates far beyond the value they provide. With the cooling of the economy resulting in declining stock values and downsizing,how will this effect your Caribbean travel plans in the future?

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 06:45 PM
Barbara

With AA asking 1250 for St Martin and 425 for Paris the traveler will certainly review his options in a tight economy. I agree that the all inclusives have over priced themselves.Six thousand dollars for a week at a Lido cannot be justified,a persons travel dollar can be put to much better use.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 05:11 AM
Dina

The Caribbean has always been our all-time favorite vacation destination, and we will continue to try and visit islands we haven't traveled to yet. It is becoming increasingly hard, tho and takes a lot of planning. We try to use at least one frequent flyer if possible, but even that is getting really hard to do! I think that travelers who can afford it by either saving all year or have the money readily available will continue to take advantage of the beautiful climate and surroundings. For most of us, it comes down to money and if the rates keep going up, it will ultimately close out those of us who have a limit on our travel budget. As for all inclusives, we don't care for them and I can't really comment on their fees. But, I think that if at least some of the resorts/cottages etc. in the Caribbean keep their rates reasonable, it will benefit them and those of us trying to take time off from our busy schedules to enjoy a vacation! Airfare are getting ridiculous and I see no end in sight as the bigger ones merge into super carriers. Wish more would expand their flights in the Caribbean so American doesn't have such a strong-hold. Bottom line for me, as long as I can scrape the dough together, I will continue to travel to the Caribbean. I may have to adjust my accommodations or the island itself, but I still want to go for as long as I can!

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 06:32 AM
Karen

According to the WSJ last weekend, Caribb travel is up despite the cooling economy and inflated airfares. We have managed to control the costs by using the ff tickets, "sales" and watching air closely and we book early as soon as the schedule is posted! Don't know anything about a/i resorts since I don't do them but the "high end" resorts continue to be packing 'em in! Try to get a reservation at one! And "value" is a matter of personal perception and I don't see it at an a/i but someone who wants everything prepaid and not worry about over extending, it might work! I loved the "downsizing" - it gave me an early retirement and even more time in the Caribb!! The problem is finding a flight since AA has cut back on the flights to the caribb making the supply tighter than the demand for certain destinations so one has to be more flexible - traveling weekdays, off peak times, maybe with a direct (with one stop) instead of a non-stop flight, etc!

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 07:13 AM
penny

<BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>Karen-I read that WSJ article too! The weekend section is my favorite! What did you think of the article about Parrot Cay? <BR>It will be interesting to see how the recent turn in the stock market will affect the upscale resorts. I also wonder how it will affect traveling with children. The airfares have gotten very high to SXM and they only run the daily flights in high season. The rates have incresed at Cap Juluca and Caneel, off season they are much lower, and I try to schedule during this time. As for not going to the caribbean-we are addicted. Even though I love London etc. I would much rather read on the beach then carry my umbrella and tour. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 07:15 AM
penny

Sorry how my last message got posted. I goofed!

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 07:28 AM
Maggie

Ditto to Karen's comments above! <BR> <BR>WSJ's weekend edition covered an entire front page on HOT! HOT! Caribbean travel -- implying that though we're approaching "recession," numbers, and a "passe," sentiment for the islands, Caribbean travel has been up, and worse, harder to get to, either because one, travel was booked early in advance, or travelers have changed their attitude(s) toward vacation -- i.e. willing to spend that upwards of USD$6,000 for a 4 day vacation, and filling up rooms all over TCIslands. <BR> <BR>Sure, some Pacific Rim holidays are comparibly equal in price, e.g. Four Seasons Resorts/Bali, but who really wants to be on a plane 25 hours each way/50 hours round-trip? <BR> <BR>My husband and I are in the same boat (so to speak). We used our 2 free British Airways Executive Club travel Rewards, opting to use it toward one of its One World Alliance members, hence AA for our next holiday. It was a difficult decision: having to weigh all other "sun" holidays in the world, and using free travel awards from BA to any int'l destination, but when TIME is MONEY, and vacation days are so few, then, you do what you have to do. That is how we were AFFECTED by this last sell off on Wall Street. <BR> <BR>Thanks to Penny and Karen's recommendations/postings/replies to my original post: "Stressed, 30-something couple from NYC needs R&R away from civilization", beat out any Far East destination. For us, time and $$$ were equal in this case, so Anguilla (Cap Juluca) here we come. <BR> <BR>Might I add that there are no more rooms available, neither luxury, or jr. suite, 1 bedroom villa, or pool suite/villa at Cap Juluca (as of this morning) for the entire month of April(just as the WSJ report) indicated. Unless, of course a cancelation arises. <BR> <BR>Who would cancel (barring any emergencies)when we've had the longest winter yet......?????

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 08:04 AM
Karen

Well, now I am bummed. With things starting to "break" here, I was hoping that maybe we could sneak off to Cap at the end of April. Kinda figured there'd be no way so haven't acted on it! Oh well!! but it'll be a last minute thingy ... so will hope against hope!! <BR>Frankly I don't see myself ever returning to Provo but as an option will consider Meridian again - my DH is voting for that at the end of April if I can't get Cap! But will have to wait and see what the next "crisis" here at home brings! <BR>I love "experts" who say caregivers need to take "time." Ha! Like there is time to take!! If I had the time, I think I would be sooo tempted to take advantage of some of those fabulous South Sea destinations!! <BR>Anyway, we did boat by Parrot Cay last April since they were not taking day guests (despite the $85 day fee + $75 lunch + transportation). I definately would stay only beachfront and those rooms look lucious - think I have some digital pix of 'em somewhere. The beach looks wonderful too! But the imposing structure set on the high point did not appeal to me! I also might have a problem with the "Fusion" menus ... that's why we did not go last April. Heard the wine list prices are over the top! And the WSJ is not the first to pan it nor mention the "bug problem." Harper's didn't think much of it either (but then I've a difference or two with Harper's over the years as well!).

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 02:28 PM
topper

To the top-interesting

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 04:09 AM
penny

Maggie- Not surprisied that Cap Juluca is full! ( their rates drop April 1 )and as you said its been quite a long winter! Were you able to book a room? <BR> <BR>Just call us nuts, but we were able to book part of March into April, so we are going back once again. Karen, I would try again, you never know!

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 04:55 AM
Maggie

Hi Penny! <BR> <BR>Thanks for remembering me; had to respond to that posting "Ugly Americans." Such an awful word, but could not resist my temptation to "vent" some experiences. <BR> <BR>Initially when I scoured the local Barnes & Noble & Borders, I was convinced that we (my husband and I) needed a BREAK! A sun vacation was overdue from all the business travel and Cultural Breaks from other destinations. <BR> <BR>That's about the time thereafter that I started reading your postings and recommendations along with Karen, and your knowledge and familiarity about this region, that helped me make a hard decision for our next holiday in Anguilla, which after all the raves -- I reread all back issues of Conde Nast Traveler, especially their (no surprise) Gold List. <BR> <BR>The Caribbean Islands were never considered because we've been so spoiled by Bermuda, but as you know -- it's still too cold for a "sun" vacation, if you will. That's where you come into play: <BR> <BR>I appreciate all your postings and hope travelers will see that this Forum actually works. I realized how much demand there was for Cap Juluca, so I jumped at the first chance to check availabilty, and luckily on my first call -- mid Feb. I played around with the kind/patient representatative about possible dates. After 3 separate tries, we found availability mar 25- apr 5 for both a jr. suite and luxury room. It didn't take much time to realize how crucial it was to "take what was available." <BR> <BR>Regarding the original post: "The Economy and Caribbean Travel," the Foot-and-Mouth scare has cost the UK tourists -- making the Caribbean even more HOT (for this time of year)! <BR> <BR>Alas, my novella should come to an end. Maybe we'll run into each other at CJ -- have to understand their ferry schedule(s)/protocol from SXM. If you're familiar, could you share some advice on that too? <BR> <BR>Also, we were able to book a "special" promotion that Cap Juluca calls "Quick Getaway" -- it's on their website. <BR> <BR>I agree with you -- give it another try -- Karen -- someone just might cancel.... <BR> <BR>See you in paradise! <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 05:43 AM
penny

Maggie-that is good news! I must tell you Bermuda is our favorite place and have been going there for years. Love the beaches, love the mopeds, love the restaurants. We have lots of favorites! <BR>No island in the caribbean is like Bermuda, nothing can match the quaint lanes, coral walls, and beautiful homes,and gardens. <BR>anguilla is very different but just as special. <BR>Do not worry about the ferry. It is very easy. I am assuming you will be on the non stop AA flight, so you will arive early afternoon. We pack light and always carroy on our luggage. So we have no need to use CJs service at SXM. It is very easy to get a taxi outside of the airport, to Marigot. Once you are at the ferry stand, sign in, name, date of birth,passport number $2.00 tax. Relax, and wait for the ferry. They run about every 30-40 minutes. On the ferry, they will collect the fee $10/person, make sure you request a custom form, each ferry has their own,sometimes they forget and you will need this at Blowing Point. It is very easy to get a taxi, just walk out the door and ask, no problem. The trip to CJ is about 10 minutes. You will not forget your first view of Cap Juluca, their drive and entrance is wonderful. <BR>Maybe we will bump into each other! <BR>Have a great trip!

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 07:27 AM
Maureen

As a Canadian, I can offer a different perspective. We have a hard time with our dollar being what it is to complete with the American and European tourists. That being said, bookings this year to warm destinations have been very busy. Some islands and air carriers can't keep up with the demand. If Americans who are hit by the recession curtail their travel plans to the Caribbean, we may see some more reasonable air and hotel prices.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 08:46 AM
Karen

Now that is an interesting twist ... and maybe no need for that awful "ugly american" thread if the economy keeps 'em all home!! &lt;--- I would laugh except it is a little scarey! And you won't forget that first view of Cap ... I sure can't!! Hope you let us know how it was and all about it!! on the aol board, there has been a very active thread about "undiscovered" less "trendy" spots on Anguilla. I guess the same ol' you don't hear about all the time. If you want, be happy to copy 'em and send 'em your way ... they are really talking up Biestro Phils now!

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 02:58 AM
penny

Maggie-PS I loved your post on the Ugly American guestion! Great story.