Search

The BEST Island???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 02:49 PM
SUN

The BEST Island???

We are just begining to plan for next year. Our 20th anniversary will be in late Oct. We would like to know where to go. Any suggestions??? Remember we have been married 20 years so a nice clean room with A/C near a beautiful beach is great. But, there needs to be other activities around. I like horses he likes motorcycles...Snorkling and dolphins would be good too. <BR>We have been to Jamaica several times and to Costa Rica the last few years. Something different and not overly crowded? <BR>Thanks for any ideas!!! <BR> Sun

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 04:45 PM
Donna

Hi! My husband & I went to Tortola last year and loved it! In March we are going to St John. We picked these islands because we want to get away from the hustle & bustle and just kick back and relax. On Tortola we stayed at the Frenchmans Cay and if we ever go back we'd stay there again. It's private, has a restaurant, is clean and supplies a rental car, some meals and also snorkleing equip. Good luck!

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 06:14 AM
jbrooks

I would second the suggestion for Tortola or one of the other BVI's. Nice People, great scenery, beautiful beaches, great snorkeling, laid back and safe...I could go on and on. Your request for horseback riding is not a problem. There are many beach rides, rain forest rides, etc. However, I have never seen motorcycles that you can rent on the islands. The roads are so curvey and up and down that usually driving a car around is adventure enough Instead of motorcycling, see if your husband can switch to yachting or boating. In these islands, you want to be adventurous and visit several of the other islands in close vicinity...this is very easy do to and highly recommended. If staying on Tortola, take day trips to Virgin Gorda to see the baths, Jost Van Dyke to see Foxy's, and do a snorkel tour to the indians or the bight. These are the first islands I am returning to in the caribbean, which means they are my favorite! (loved Costa Rica, too! better rain forest there but better beaches and water in the BVI's!). The first time we went to the BVI's was in late October and we had great weather and less tourists (although compared to CR or JAmaica, these islands do not accomodate many tourists). <BR> <BR>We are staying on Cane Garden Bay, one of the most beautiful beaches in the caribbean, in a two story suite that only costs $175 per night. The regular rooms are even less (around $100). I can update you after we return November 26th...let me know if you are interested! <BR> <BR>Good Luck!

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 09:22 AM
Sun

Thanks for the info. Yes keep me updated on your trip experiences. We are NOT all inclusive type people. Our best times are getting to know the local people and we have made many friends everywhere. I can speak a little spanish and take classes when I can. My husband has not been able to get past "cervesa" and "bano" so he would prefer english speaking islands. Too bad no motorcycles. We rented Harleys in Costa Rica and drove from San Jose to the Panama border on the caribbean side. That was a GREAT trip! Keep the ideas coming and THANKS! Sun

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 06:21 AM
jbrooks

Hi, Sun, <BR> <BR>One more idea you may want to think about. The BVI's are known for yachting, and one of the best ways to see the islands is chartering a yacht for a few days. That was a magnificent adventure! I would suggest you do a 4 day/night cruise from Tortola and spend an additional 4 on tortola to hang out and meet the friendly and polite locals! <BR>You can either charter a boat and sail it yourself (after some lessons) or hire a captain to sail it for you, or hire a captain and a cook (usually a husband and wife team) so that all you have to worry about is looking at the beautiful islands as you pass them. Of course, the captain will let you and your husband sail the boat and will teach you as much or as little as you want, so it can really be an adventure!

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 10:31 PM
whatisinthename

Anguilla <BR>-one of the best beaches in the Caribbean <BR>- very relaxing. <BR>- Friendly locals. <BR>- Reminds me of the way Aruba use to be before mass tourism came along. <BR> <BR> <BR>Aruba <BR>- Great beaches considered one of the best in the Caribbean. <BR>- Many supurb restaurants. <BR>- good quality accomodations. <BR>- great shopping. <BR>- Lots to do for every age. <BR>- very clean. <BR>- Friendly. <BR>- Low crime rate. <BR>- High standard of living. <BR>- wild exotic arid nature mysterious in every way. <BR>- Great infrastructure for a Caribbean island. <BR>- Beautiful Capital city.

Old Nov 11th, 2000, 12:04 PM
sun

Thanks for the info. I'll be reading this site often untill we make our final plans...Sun