Reload this Page >

The Best Caribbean Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 03:02 AM
vineet

If I had to pick one Caribbean Island for a week long vacation, which Island do you think is the best? (considering all factors ie beaches, night life,good lodging, food, good value for the money, safe, scenic, etc) <BR> <BR>Vineet

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 06:16 AM
Anonymous

How many times are we going to be asked this question??? Give it a rest already. Why don't you do a text search before you ask for something that's been covered numerous times before

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 04:48 PM
cj

Don't be so rude. Maybe if you didn't live on this site you wouldn't be so grouchy! <BR> <BR>My picks: St. John and Culebra (although neither has a lot of nite life, but that's OK by me.)

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 08:34 AM
DAVE

That's the advice I'm looking for. I want to plan a honeymoon in the Caribbean without all the glitz, something real, but I have little clue where to start....

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 08:53 AM
Margaret

I have to agree somewhat with anon. The best way to research an island is to get a good guide book such as Fieldings Caribbean, or 100 Romantic pplace to stay etc. I did this and it helps. One of the first books I read is that a lot of the caribbbean is very rocky and this is true. you might wnat to fly non stop, you might not like small planes. I wanted great food and great beaches. I recommend Bermuda, Barbados, Turks and Caicos, Antiqua, anguilla,BVI, St. John, St. Barts and St. Kitts.You really have to ask what is important to you! Nightlike can mean a bar, local entertainment or a show!

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 12:55 PM
tweedy

I would suggest going to a local travel agent for brochures and info on prices on and off season. Also give the agent an idea of what you are looking for in the way of things to do and see. <BR> <BR>You also might want to do some online checking with other online agencies like Liberty Travel where you can get info and prices. <BR> <BR>Often travel agents can get you better prices and package deals. <BR> <BR>Good luck with your planning, that's half the fun. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Bright one

TO Anon, is this how you treat people you dont even know? I hope you keep your recommendations to yourself if that's the type attitude you have. But I guess that's the typical anal retentive person in you. <BR>Vineet, take a look on your internet sites and do a search on any place you think you may want to go, then narrow your choices down and ask a few detailed questions about certain places. Ignore Anon. Although it's a free country to post messages here, that was really uncalled for. Have a safe, happy vacation.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 02:21 AM
tiverton house

The Lonely Planet series of videos,available at libraries and rental places and often repeated on The Travel Channel, is a great and fast way to cut through the clutter of conflicting guidebooks. Skip Frommer's,Birnbaums and start with Rum 'n Reggae, The Insight Guides and <BR>The Rough Guide series,all right on target.

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 05:04 AM
anonymous

It's difficult because each of us look for something different. You might like the nightlife and partying of Cancun and the prices are a good deal as are some of the a/i in the DR. Others might enjoy the pristine beauty of the BVI with smaller quieter nitelife where you are too tired from a daylife, you don't care! Some might choose the USVI since it is easy to get to and has lots of options. Aruba might do because of the familiar eats and hotels and it certainly has some good deals price wise! And air will eat a good portion of your budget to many places. Good, better, best is all in the eyes of the beholder!

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 12:33 PM
Sandy

Vineet, <BR>Check out the Cayman Islands! <BR>Sandy

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 03:03 PM
Anon1

ST. Maarten!!!!!!!! Any one agree!!!!

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 09:55 PM
e

NO

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 05:36 AM
Meg

This is exactly why this type of broad question will lead nowhere. By the way, I love St. Martin. Is it a good choice for you? You need to do the research suggested above and decide for yourself.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 08:05 AM
Anonymous

Vineet: Maybe I was bit hard on you last week. Perhaps I was having a bad day. Anyway, a good way to search for info. on this site is to do a text search above. Type in words that you would think of such as favorite, or best, or greatest, etc. and see what comes up. Like I said, this has been asked several times before and I think you will get your question answered.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 08:55 AM
Mary

Hello: My husband and I will begin building a home soon. Therefore, $$ is a concern so we'd love to hear about good yet cheap caribbean vacations for our anniversary in late November. We're thinking about Isla Majeres, Mexico but would like some other destinations to consider as well. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 09:13 AM
Edward

Aruba is a great all-around choice for a week in paradise. It has it all and is not in the hurricane belt. <BR> <BR>Islands I avoid are St.Martin/Maarten, Grand Bahama, and most of Jamaica. Why? Primarily for safety reasons. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 10:19 AM
Gino

Aruba by far is the best Caribbean island. Excellent beaches and very safe. Perfect for families and couples, not for singles. Reasonable priced compared to other islands. Stayed at the Wyndham.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 10:28 AM
Lisa

The cheaper destinations are Cancun, Punta Cana and Jamaica.