Search

Tell me about Bermuda

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 1998, 10:28 AM
Gene

Tell me about Bermuda

tell me what you love about about Bermuda- it seems pretty expensive- just I hate to spend a large amount of money and not like it. i am 51 and married scuba dive, like beaches- are there some places to eat that will not break the bank? Where do you recommend we stay?

Old Aug 5th, 1998, 11:20 AM
tuuli

yes, bermuda is rather expensive, but it is very beautiful with clear waters and beautiful beaches. it is also very hot and humid in july (we were there just last week). we stayed at the rosemont apartments in pembroke, just 10 minutes walk away from front street of hamilton. a double room with kitchen and pool & harbour wiev was $ 140 + $ 12 service charge, it was a nice, quiet, small place on the top of a hill. we got plenty of information magazines and booklets from the hotel, a magazine with restaurant menus, bus schedules etc. bermuda tourist office has also very goos web pages, you will find more info there. <BR>rgds tuuli

Old Aug 5th, 1998, 11:22 AM
Carl

Bermuda is expensive. What you get is a tuly beautiful country, no poverty/panhandling, lots of interesting things to do, nice but not cheap shopping for quality products, and very pleasant locals. See http://www.bermuda-best.com for some fine small hotels. We like The Reefs but all are good. There is also a dine-around program that allows you to stay at one Bermuda Collection hotel, and with proper arrangements, dine at the others. <BR> <BR>We enjoy the mopeds to get everywhere, but folks say the busses are convenient and very economical way to see all the high points. <BR> <BR>Each time my wife and I go the Bermuda we start off saying can it be worth the price? After a day or two we always say it is. <BR> <BR>Of course this is just our opinion. We wish you the best as you make your choice.

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 04:01 AM
Parrot Mom

Hi—going back by cruise ship for the 4th time. Bermuda is very, v ery expensive for dining—no McDonalds or Taco Bell—people are wonderful, it‘s clean. By going on a ship we have enough time to go to beach, tour and shop (shopping is great) and you’d have time to go scuba diving and to the beaches...We cruise out of Boston to Bermuda and the ship is in St, George for 3 1/2 days—enough to get a taste of Bermuda. For the price of the cruise we just couldn’t afford a week there–the prices for three or four days at a decent hotel is as much as a week on the ship and that includes food, entertainment and transportation... We use the buses to get around—The roads are narrow and twisty and we’ve heard of too many accidents..

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 05:24 AM
Pam

Bermuda doesn't have to be all that expensive, especially in the food area. There are many very good restaurants that will not break the bank. In Hamilton, on of our favorites, is M.R. Onions. Ask anyone and they'll tell you how to get there. A typical meal for two with drinks, $45-50. One of the great favorites with the locals is the Paraquet, located just before the entrance to Elbow Beach. Open incredibly long hours, you're always assured of good, wholesome and often Bermudian food. Places like these abound, email me if you'd like some more suggestions. As far as inexpensive places to stay - check out the various guest houses, small properties and cottage colonies. One of our favorites is Glen-Mar Holiday (again located right near Elbow Beach). A two-bedroom "apartment", with full kitchen, living and dining room, and sun deck runs about $110/night, not per person. Hope this helps, let me know if you'd like further info.

Old Aug 7th, 1998, 10:50 AM
Susan

Salt Kettle House--get the Apartment which has a kitchen @ bring food, including meat(wrap in dry ice), with you. Full Breakfast is included in the price. Well located on water across from Hamilton, in the evenings we liked to sit outside and watch the lights come on in Hamilton. 1 minute from ferry to Hamilton. We went to play at Princess Hotel which was very good.