Search

STT good vs. bad

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2004, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STT good vs. bad

We are considering renting a villa in ST. Thomas and were curious as if there is a better part of the island to avoid crime. We have narrowed it down to 3 villas and the locations are on various parts of the island. Thanks in advance, Susan
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 08:53 AM

You may get some good information at www.vinow.com. The message board seems to have a fair amount of local participants.
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 05:30 PM
az

names of villas? might be able to provide info; we've rented several and have checked out a few others.
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 05:56 PM

Best way to avoid crime on STT is to not go to STT. Not to be a smart alec but there are better places to go. I've rented villas on most of the islands and can give you a good run down if you like just let me know. Have a great trip whatever you decide.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 04:00 AM

Susan, I am sure that all of the villas you are looking at are in good areas. I don't know of any that aren't. I rather doubt that the villa rental companies would put you at risk. Furthermore, St. Thomas has over a million visitors every year with a few incidents. Most crime commited is done on local vs. local. You do need to be observant, however. There are areas you need not venture into at night as in any other place.
Ronnie
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

I went on Mclaughlinanderson.com and found the villas as suggested by az.
Sunset, Harbor Lights, Sea Forever, Allure, and Pelican View are the ones that appealed to me. Other suggestions for villas that you've stayed would be appreciated.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 04:33 AM

Susan,

Check out www.onlinevacations.com

Have Fun!
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:23 AM
az

we have rented villas from mclaughlin/anderson 3 times during past year. they are a first class operation: friendly, professional (one of the "old reliables" among usvi villa management businesses), attentive to detail, etc. etc. they meet you at the airport and take you to your villa so there's no chance you will get lost! their villas are extremely well kept and clean, located in quiet, safe neighborhoods, and loaded with all the little extras.
we are spending a week at sunset next month. it is well out on the peterborg peninsula, and offers spectacular views of magens bay and the atlantic ocean. (can send you map if you want.)
in the red hook area--east end of stt--villa cayenne offers privacy, proximity to shopping/dining (marina market has a great deli), beaches, ferry, and awesome sunset views.
on north side, villa quintessence is highly secluded, offers great views of the ocean from a perch high above the water, but not quite as sweeping as the views from cayenne.
you won't be disappointed with any of them. enjoy.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that very informative reply.
I called McLaughlin and they were very helpful. Gave me a couple of other suggestions: Anchorage, condo not villa. Mangorosa Villa. Anyone have any input on these? Thanks, Susan
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 08:57 AM

We rented through McLaughlin also a year ago. We stayed in a fabulous villa in Peterborg -- spectacular views, gorgeous home, gourmet kitchen. It was called Quintessence and was brand new. I'd go there again for the villa. It was just a 5 min. drive down the hill to Magen's Bay.

Lois