Stella Maris, Long Isand, Bahamas

Jul 12th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Stella Maris, Long Isand, Bahamas

Stella Maris Resort, Long Island

Just back from Stella Maris on Long Island for my daughter’s wedding and we could not have had a better time. If you are looking for an out-island, Long Island is it. At the north end of the island, you have choice between Resort Santa Maria and Stella Maris Resort.

The folks at Stella Maris were wonderful, the accommodations super. Besides the beach wedding, we did a lot of snorkeling and also some kayaking. If an out-island is on your radar, give Stella Maris a serious look. They were the best. Thanks, Jill!
Jul 13th, 2008, 06:38 PM

It is nice to hear that Stella Maris was a great trip for you! It was one of our all time favorite vacations so we might have to look into a return trip in the near future! I bet it was a beautiful location for a wedding! Wasn't the snorkeling at the rock pools great??!
Jul 14th, 2008, 05:35 AM

We are leaving to go to Long Island in 9 days and are staying at Cape Santa Maria. Can't wait...
Jul 14th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Mnag, the Caribbean side around Cape Santa Maria has the most pristine beaches I've ever seen. The only thing close was a beach called Eraclea in Sicily.
Ishkribbl, I loved kayaking to Columbus point and the snorkling was good everywhere, Caribbean side or Atlantic side. Go back!
And for us the folks at Stella Maris were awesome - facilitating the wedding in every good way.
And for those reading this, if you have enough people to fill the Delphin House (4 BR) at Stella Maris, go for it. What a great "cottage" - plenty of room, beautiful pool, and a second pool in the Atlantic.
Wonderful.
Jul 14th, 2008, 07:10 PM

Tuscanson,
One of the reasons we really loved SM was that we thought the excursions were such a plus and a great value in the package- like you, we loved the kayak trip and also the boat snorkeling trip. Bicycling down the road to snorkel at the rock pools and to explore the Love Beaches was such an adventure. We did rent a car for a couple of days and adventure south and also to CSM twice but we loved coming home to SM to our little gazebo on the bluff at Edith's Harbour to watch the crashing surf in about 7 shades of blue- talk about relaxin! The staff at SM was so friendly, accommodating and helpful in advising us where to visit, getting us a car, packing picnics, and being great hosts. I have considered returning and renting the Goombay House but my husband says he would rather stay at SM again for the ease and comfort of it. It IS a great place, isn't it?!
Jul 15th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Ishkibbl,

We stayed at Edith Harbour too! Love it. Loved the gazebo.

But Delphin House where our younger set stayed, a 4 br with a beautiful pool plus, in addition, a believe-it-or-not carved out active Atlantic pool was even better.

Cape Santa Maria looked nice but the beautiful folk at Stella Maris will make me want to go back year after year. I am not a Caribbean expert but i thought what Stella Maris offered was exceptional.

Best,
Tuscanson

Jul 15th, 2008, 05:18 PM

You are the only other person I ever talked to who stayed there (Edith's) too. I did think I would look for a more fully AC place for a return trip (and Edith's kitchen was pretty out of date but we had bought the meal plan at SM so did not "cook" anything more than umbrella drinks/snacks) but the location and view could not be beat.
I have looked at all the houses on the website but not recently- they were all too large (or too $$ for 2)- was Dolphin the one next door (to the left as you face the house) or down near the beach pool? I was envious of the pool I could tell was next door. Anyway, I think Stella is a great place and the people truly make it special.
Thanks for letting me relive a little bit through your posts! I so agree with you about the value.
Jul 15th, 2008, 05:48 PM

Thanks for posting your report. We just returned from Cat Island and were hoping to fly over to Long Island for a sneak peak but unfortunately fuel is too high these days to afford such a frivolous excursion.

Curious, have you been to Cat Island? If so, can you compare the two? We're hoping to make it next year to Long Island, either Stella Maris or CSM.

Hard coming home, isn't it?!!
BeachGirl
Jul 16th, 2008, 08:20 AM

Hello,
Do you have any info for where you rented your car from on Long Island? We’re staying there in February and we’re looking to rent a car seat, but I haven’t had any luck finding a place (we just need a seat, not a car-a car comes with the villa we’re renting). Just wondering thanks!
Jul 16th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Just some quick notes.

Kellybeaches, we did not rent a car so maybe someone else can help you.

Beachgirl247, I enjoyed your trip report. It will be a great resource for folks.

Ishkribbl, as you face Edith Harbour, Delphin House is to the right of Edith Harbor with perhaps one house in between. Delphin House is directly at the bottom of the road leading down from the restaurant/resort area.
Jul 16th, 2008, 06:45 PM

Tuscanson,
Ok- I think I can picture it now (we walked to the restaurant for breakfast and dinner every day for a week so we passed it quite a few times on foot or bike!!). All I remember is that there was a large family-or more than one-with several cute children staying there when we were there- makes sense if it was a larger home- I did not really know at the time. There never seemed to be anyone but us at the beach pool when we went there so I knew some of the houses had private pools.

Kelly beaches- unfortunately, although we did rent a car, I can't help you because the very helpful people at the SM desk procured our car for us and had it delivered and added to our hotel bill so I have no idea where it came from. On a side note-the people who own/manage Stella are German- we did not ask any questions about the car when we said we wanted one and we were surprised- but then not surprised- that it was a right hand drive European car. It took some getting used to but it was fine!
Did you ask the owner/rental manager of your villa if they could find a car seat for you? I would think they could do that. Good luck and have a great trip! I think you will love LongIsland.
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:49 AM

Thanks for your feedback. I did check w/the villa owners but they said they don’t know of any car rental company that would rent me one. They will supply us with their car for the week. I guess we’ll stick to our original plan and check the car seat on the plane. Thanks!
Jul 17th, 2008, 06:39 AM

Kelly, try Constantakis Car Rentals at (242) 337-0644 and ask for Bernie or Mandi. Not sure if they have car seats but worth a try. Another thing to keep in mind is that the carseat you will likely get may not be up to "US standards".
Jul 17th, 2008, 04:50 PM

Yes the waters around the Bahamas are so beautiful, and if you had not heard a recent report was done on ocean waters and how clean and THE BAHAMAS came up as #1 on the list.