Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

St. Thomas groceries between airport and Frenchman's Cove?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be arriving on Christmas Eve about 3 p.m. After picking up car at airport, wondering if we will find convenient grocery store on our way to Marriott's new Frenchman's Cove timeshare resort (west side of island). If no stores are open or convenient, does anyone know of a service that will stock groceries for our arrival? Would like to be able to whip up Christmas meals for my family.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 04:58 AM

There's a small market in Havensite where the ships dock that will be open. I think they stay open until 7:00 or 8:00 PM & it's called Gourmet Gallery. I'm in there practically daily. You'll pass right by on the way to the Marriott. Make a right turn right after passing KFC which is on the left side. There are bigger markets with full meat counters but this one has a great deli & you can find lots of things here that you can't find other places. Just go to a bigger market later after you've settled in.

BTW, Marriott is on the south side of the island. Enjoy!
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Carrybean! I'll plan this stop on the way to the Marriott(SOUTH side of island, yes!). It will be fun to pick up unusual things for a unique holiday meal. Do they carry wine and champagne?
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 03:53 PM

They sure do! Also pates, excellent cheeses & lots of gourment goodies. It's expensive but still a fun place to shop & during the holidays they're very well-stocked. Have fun!
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 10:11 AM

Hi,

I find Gourmet Gallery to be rather expensive, even by island standards. If you are picking up your car by the aiport, you will also pass a Pueblo supermarket in Sub Base which will be on your right side as you head towards downtown on Veterans Boulevard. It is an older store but will offer a wider selection of foods at a bit lower prices than Gourmet Gallery.

Schultz
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 11:59 AM

Hi!

Marriot I was told has names of villa provisioners. call: Phone: 340 715 5900

Gourmet market may be a little more expensive, but the high end quality of all their food, wine selection and particularly produce is worth paying more for.

Pueblo is cheaper-but I've shopped at both Pueblos and I prefer Gourmet gallery.

Gourmet Market is located at both "Crown bay Marina" near airport and at havensite Mall on road to Marriott.

Provisioning services are hard to find, but I was also told that LP catering in St. Thomas will consider getting your shopping list and coordinate delivery to your villa.

L P Catering
Food & Beverage, Catering/Banquets
Commanndant Gade St. Thomas, USVI,
Virgin Islands,
340-776-7622

here is a link to look at:
http://www.virginislandsdailynews.co...tegory_id=3282

VI lifestyle and culture site:
www.virginvoices.com