Search

St Thomas - day trips?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2003, 11:22 AM
mjz
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St Thomas - day trips?

I will be visiting St. Thomas at the end of January for 7 nights using Marriott Reward Points (Marriott Frenchman Reef). I might add an additional 2 nights for a total of 9 nights. You may think this is a dumb question, but is 9 nights too long? Also, I would like to plan on several day trips. Probably 2 trips to St. John, a trip to Virgin Gorda/The Baths and perhaps a trip to Tortola. I plan on doing all day trips via ferry. Am I missing out on any great day trip opportunities? We love beaches, hiking and snorkeling.

Thank you!
Matt
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 04:53 AM

Hi There,

Nine days will fly past like nothing at all. You could spend a month on island and never run out of things to do or nice beaches to visit.

Since your proposed trips already include a lot of transit time, you might want to consider spending a couple of days on STT itself and visit some of the various beaches that are right there.

Besides the usual ones that get tourists like Magens, Coki, Sapphire, Frenchman's you might also try some of the less traveled on STT like Secret Harbour, Hull, Dorothea and Brewers.

Schultz
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 05:02 AM

You may also want more than 2 daytrips to St. John. I say that because you mention you like hiking and snorkeling. 2 days is not anywhere near enough time to get in some of St. John's best beaches and hikes.

Don't worry, 9 days isn't that long at all. I agree with Schultz in that you could easily stay a month and not run out of new experiences!
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 06:09 AM
mjz
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I've changed my plans slightly. We will now stay at the Westin on St. John for 3 nights and then the Marriott on St. Thomas for 5 to 6 nights. While on St. Thomas, we will take 1 or 2 day trips to B.V.I (definitely Virgin Gorda and perhaps a day trip to Tortoal to explore the island by Jeep). No day trips from St. John as I want to explore that island as thoroughly as time permits.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 06:31 AM

A great daytrip to the Baths at Virgin Gorda, the Indians and Tortola is run by Captain Nautica. Check out their website at www.captainnautica.com. I've taken several visiting friends and family members on this adventure and thoroughly recommend it.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 09:35 AM

Go to THE BATH on Virgin Gorda and don't forget to bring your snorkeling gear with you. SMITH or SPEEDY's ferry is operating between St.Thomas and Virgin Gorda, which is a very nice boat ride. Ferry schedule: www.bviwelcome.com
Regine/KATITCHE POINT GREATHOUSE