St Thomas & Scuba/Renaissance

Sep 10th, 2000, 11:56 AM
dawn

St Thomas & Scuba/Renaissance

Hi. We will be staying at the Renaissance on St Thomas in October...
1) Good water sports from this hotel?
2) Any recommendations for a dive operator?
3) We have two boys ... any kid/family activity recommendations?
THANKS!
p.s.... how is this hotel? .. in particular I keep reading about eel grass in the water..is this bad??

Sep 10th, 2000, 05:14 PM
Karen

I believe that Chris Sawyer operates from the Grand Beach. If not, you will find him at www.sawyerdive.vi on the net! He has a really great operation!

Sep 10th, 2000, 05:48 PM
Dawn

Thanks on the dive opertor recommendation....any word on the hotel or other recommended activities.

Sep 10th, 2000, 06:32 PM
Karen

If you want to email me, please feel free. Not having stayed at Grand Beach, I am hesitant to say anything about it. Rooms and property do look nice ... altho some can be pretty far from the beach - there is a shuttle service available! Do know Smuggler's Cove, one of the restaurants there, is good and has a very highly recommended Sunday brunch with a "do it yourself" bloody Mary bar! Be sure to plan to spend some time exploring St. John, just a short 15 minute ferry ride away and a day in the BVI's - lots of charter trips for that! For divers, the Friday trip with Chris to the Rhone is a definate but it fills up quickly! Nearby restaurants in Red Hook are good ... as well as others island wide and most will accomodate chidren's portions if necessary! Also Marina Market in Red Hook is a good spot to load up on snacks, water, soda, etc. etc. Be sure to take Avon's Skin so Soft or other repellent! Renting a car might be a money saver for at least part of your trip - taxis charge per person! Lots of links and info I can send you!

Sep 12th, 2000, 06:46 PM
dawn

Karen,
Thanks for all the info.. I'll send an email for those links!
Others.... what about the eel grass thing ... that has me worried ... we were really looking forward to snorkeling and swimming right off the beach.
Thanks

Search this Thread