St. Maarten OR St. John - SNORKEL ? Please Help

Mar 25th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Rick

St. Maarten OR St. John - SNORKEL ? Please Help

On cruise, we will stop in St. Thomas and St. Maarten. Anyone know if SNORKEL is better in St. JOHN or wait and go when we get to St. Maarten? Know of anything else to do in St.Maarten? Any good shopping close to cruise ship where it docks.
Going on CARNIVAL. THANK you for any help!!

Mar 25th, 2002, 05:29 PM
linda

Hi Rick,
I snorkled in St Martin near Tintamarre and elsewhere, but didn't have much success.It was pretty choppy and I never found many good reefs. If I were you, I would take the ferry to St John to snorkel. Trunk Bay will be full of cruisers, but it is still fun to snorkel there. Cinnamon Bay is also quite nice. I wouldn't shop in Philipsburg when you get off the ship. Too many people! Take a cab to Marigot and shop there. If you want to beach it in St Martin, Orient Bay is beautiful. Most of it is clothes-optional,be warned.

Mar 26th, 2002, 03:49 AM
penny

Snorkel St. John is the correct answer!
Beats St.Martin, ST. Maarten, Anguilla, Barbados and Antigua. Marigot is a busy little town, with lots of nice shops and restaurants. Orient Beach is fun, clothing optional only at one section. Have fun!

Mar 26th, 2002, 08:30 AM
R. Bailey

You will stop in Philipsburg; Front Street there is all shopping. You could take a water taxi from the pier to the mid-town dock, or walk to the end of the street. Marigot, on the other side of the island, has less variety but more upscale, French, shops and a more pleasant character. A taxi tour that stopped at the butterfly farm and left you at Marigot for shopping and lunch could be pleasant. Of course, there are beaches. Also racing America's Cup yaughts. As other responders note, snorkelling on St. Martin is nothing special.

Mar 26th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Janis

Definitely St. John!!!

Mar 28th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Lisa

We are going in early May. Does anyone know how long the ferry ride to St. John? (that sounds like a good idea)

Mar 28th, 2002, 11:00 AM
linda

about 25 min

Mar 28th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Sandy

Better snorkling on St. John. Ships should have excursions to Trunk Bay but there are better spots so walk out to parking lot and take cab. St. John is about 45 minutes by public ferry from Charlotte Amalie, 15 minutes from Red Hook.