Reload this Page >

St.Lucia Sandals Golf &Spa vs. Jalousie Hilton vs. Antigua's Galley Bay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 07:03 PM
eric

Between these all-inclusives, which resort has the nicest, biggest beach and what are the differences? Are there waves or is it calm waters? Do any of these resorts seem run down? Which is most picturesque?

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 06:44 AM
Karen

Eric: We were in St. Lucia in June and stayed at both Sandals Golf & Spa and the Ladera. If you are looking for beach, Sandals is probably not your best choice. It is nice and clean, but not very wide and tends to be a little rough. It is also the only beach, so you can't really "walk the beach" like you can in Aruba, etc., since the resort is isolated. However, I can't say enough about the rest of it. The food, service, rooms, drinks and activities were all excellent, and the best of any all-inclusive we have been to. <BR> <BR>The Ladera shuttle took us to the Jalousie Hilton, which had a very nice beach with good snorkeling, beach grill and water activities center. I was not very impressed with the resort itself when I walked thru it - it wasn't run down, but was more commercial than some of the other resorts on the island. There were also a lot of kids. However, the resort is built at the base of the Pitons and has a great view, looking up. <BR> <BR>You may want to look into Anse Chastenet if you want to go to St. Lucia. We went there one day, and they have a beautiful black sand beach, great snorkeling, and palm trees right on the beach that you can sit under for some shade. They also have a shop, beach grill, and waiters come around and take your drink and food orders right from your chair. They also have a dive shop. The only drawback is that to reach the beach you have to walk down (and up!) about 100 steep steps. <BR> <BR>We have not been to Antigua, but the beaches there are supposed to be beautiful. Have you looked in Sandals Antigua? <BR> <BR>Good Luck! <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 07:32 AM
lisa

Jalousie Hilton is absolutely beautiful. We did not see the rooms (we stayed at Ladera), but the beach is gorgeous and the setting is incredibly picturesque. Imported white sand beach. The beach is not huge but it is very pretty and not crowded at all (at least when we were there. Very calm water. Very good beachside bar/restaurant with excellent service and yummy food. There's a dive shop right on the beach as well for snorkeling/scuba and water sports. We didn't think the snorkeling there was so great though -- it was better at Anse Chastanet (which you can take a water taxi to from Jalousie), but we liked the beach at Jalousie better. It was wonderfully relaxing. <BR>Can't help you with the other two you mentioned, although I will say that the northern part of St. Lucia near the Sandals resorts is not nearly as pretty as the southern part near Jalousie Hilton -- the south is more dramatic, lush, & mountainous.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 09:49 AM
Kay

Eric: <BR> <BR>I agree with Lisa. We stayed at Lader but went to the Hilton several times and found it very nice clean wel manicured gree areas. I did see some rooms and they were very nice with air conditioning. Teh staff there is great. The beach is very nice too. We went over to Anse beach and hated it. TLhe day we were there there was trash all over the beach cigerette butts. etc. The beach at teh Hilton was not crowded but it was at Anse. There were dive boats constantly pulling up to the beach so you coudn't swim in the water with any safety. The view from teh Hiton I would say is much better than Anse. We also spent some nights at the north end of the island and thought it very pretty but not stunningly beautiful like in the South.

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 05:39 PM
j

Stayed at the Jaloussie Hilton for ten days and tried to stayed longer! Couldn't though & we were soooo disappointed! Wonderful location, absolutely beautiful scenery! Great service! Friendly, friendly people! <BR> Our cottage was magnificent with own 'dunk pool' right outside our bedroom! You will NOT be sorry and will not want to leave there, ever. Be forewarned, the roads in St. Lucia are the worst in the Caribbean. No exaggeration, but man, is it gorgeous! <BR>Great restaurants on location as well as off! Of course EVERYTHING is expensive, but if you can afford to be there, then you can afford to eat there. <BR>Enjoy! <BR>j.

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 05:48 AM
Beth

My husband and I honeymooned at the Jalousie this past May. Haven't been at the other resorts, but did go past the St. Lucia Sandals Golf resort. Biggest difference at just a glance is the location. The Jalousie is in the south -- the beautiful scenery, set between the Pitons - absolutely picturesque. You can't believe the views!! In the south you are also near the rainforest, volcano and botanical gardens. It's just very lush and tropical there. Sandals is in the north - in the city of Castries. More crowded - and very flat. Not knowing anything about Antigua - I can't speak to that. But if yo uchoose St. Lucia, you must stay in the south! I'd go back in a heartbeat!! The staff at the Jalousie - wonderful! And we loved the Plantation Room for dinner!! Good luck!