St. Lucia is NOT Hawaii

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 01:30 PM
M.T.

St. Lucia is NOT Hawaii

Please read the thread below entitled Know St. Lucia begore you go...
Yes St. Lucia is lush, but not nearly to the same degree as Maui and Kauai...
St. Lucia is a very very poor island...

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 02:11 AM
nope

Your point?

Hawaii is a U.S. state.
St. Lucia is a strugggling, third world nation.

Duh.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 02:38 AM
oh

the point is so many peopl gush over St. Lucia , and some inexperienced travelers go, and are disappointed. Where have you been duh-read some of the pasr posts. Ladera sounds like The Ritz.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 02:40 AM
M.T.

If you have been reading the threads latley you would know that many people are comparing the two. One person's question is "St Lucia vs Kauai"...

Obviously someone is looking for info about the two spots and I am giving my opinion

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 03:35 AM
joan

I would take Ladera over the Ritz any day!

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 04:15 AM
Kay

Whenever someone plans a trip anywhere it is the duty of that person to get accurate information about that destination before going. If that person is using a travel agent it is the travel agents responsibility to inform that client about the dsetination good and bad so they are informed. If it is a friend etc. who is recommending a destination that frind should also tell all.

I often highly recommend St. Lucia and Ladera to people but I do tell them all about the island good and bad and that Ladera is not airconditioned and not on a beach etc. Or I ask them waht kind of trip they want and what they like don't like etc. Then if I don't feel that St. Lucia would be right for them I for one would not want them to go there.

ALways be well informed before traveling (do research)

just my two cents worth

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 07:50 AM
nope

MT: If merely looking to share your opinion and/or experience on the topic why not post under that thread? Starting 2 new threads (one saying please look at the other) with trite statements about St. Lucia looks self serving & bashing.

As for Oh's comment on Ladera, well duh again --- common sense, if you want the Ritz you don't go to an open walled resort. It's no secret there's no AC. To criticize others because they enjoyed the experience is narrow minded.

Only experienced travelers would gush over St. Lucia? An inexperienced traveler would only be happy at the Ritz? Strange logic.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 09:09 AM
Herself

I have not been to Ladera, but I do know the open air accomodations are well advertised & are largely responsible for the resorts' appeal. Many Caribbean accomodations don't have AC because of the tradewinds. Until recently the very expensive Caneel Bay in St. John had none. If you demand absolute luxury & cleanliness & constant temperature control, best go to Palm Beach & skip the Caribbean altogether.

I agree that St. L cannot compare in lushness to Hawaii. She IS a very poor nation but someday it will likely be just another cookie cutter island destination.

Tourists see people WITH less as BEING less or as being deprived or dangerous, failing to realize that being impoverished is not the same as being a low class personality. And poorer people are not necessarily unhappy. Maybe poverty makes some tourists uncomfortable because they have more.

The same people often look past poverty in their own town, preferring not to think about it. Yet on vacation they find it appallling. They don't pay to see "that".

A tourist takes a vacation expecting to be entertained, distracted or pampered while relaxing. A TRAVELER makes a journey to appreciate & learn while relaxing.

Tourists should probably avoid St. Lucia unless they are willing to restrict themselves to the grounds at the Hyatt. TRAVELERS, however, will most likely adore it & revel in it's uniqueness. Being experienced has nothing to do with it. Attitude is everything. Not always, but sometimes unmet expectations provide the nicest surprises.

And that's the end of my little diatribe. I'm off in search of green vegetables & cheap airfare.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 01:06 PM
sj

Herself: Great point on the differences between tourists and travelers! I am both at different times in my life and totally see your point. I am going to St. Lucia next year for a little of both - it's a honeymoon. We're both more the traveller but will enjoy a bit of relaxation and pampering too. I am quite looking forward to exploring this island for what it is!

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 01:20 AM
Kathleen

We're honeymooning in Ladera soon, and hope to enjoy a little luxury as well as a little adventure there. Travelling from England, it will at least be an escape from the cold!

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 02:07 PM
IslandAnne

Herself: I loved your definition of a tourist vs. a traveler! Great bit of info, and very true. I travel to islands a lot and part of the experience has always been to get to know the culture and the people. Hyatts aren't my cup of tea when traveling to the islands; I'd rather feel more "local". Whether the people are poor or rich, doesn't make the experience; it's getting to know them and how they live. Some of the happiest, most "alive" people I've met in my travels have been very poor by our standards but have something we are lacking. They've been happy, relaxed, in touch with themselves and their culture and a great sense of self and family and friends. I've met children with bare feet and holes in their clothing that had the biggest smiles and brightest eyes I've ever seen. But the whole secret is knowing what you're looking for in your travels. If poverty makes you uncomfortable, then many areas of the Caribbean are not for you unless you stay at an All-Inclusive and don't leave the property. There is so much beauty in the islands and its people!

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 08:19 AM
Jenn

Has anyone been to the Sandals resort in St. lucia? Iam planning my honeymoon there for next summer and all these negative comments are making me nervous. I am looking to be catered to and pampered, but you all seem to think St. Lucia does not offer that.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 10:05 AM
Mary

Jenn: Haven't been there myself but I would bet you have nothing to worry about. I have heard only great things about Sandals including great service. Maybe someone who's been there can confirm and put this girl's mind at ease.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 02:52 PM
Susan

Jenn: Yes, I have been to Sandals St Lucia! We went there for our 10th anniversary and were very pleased. The resort is beautiful, the food fabulous. The only thing lacking in my opinion was night life, but if you're going on your honeymoon, who needs nightlife?? I would recommend the sunset cruise tour offered. It was very nice. We also did some other tours. If you are interested in hearing more, please email me. Which Sandals are you staying in? The big one or the halcyon(sp)? We stayed at the big one, and spent 1 day at the other one. Relax, you will love it...enjoy! PS. The island IS poor, but it truely is beautiful in my opinion.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 06:06 PM
Eric

Ditto Susan's post. It has expanded somewhat since we were ther 3 years ago and there are more villa type rooms at the end of the resort. I felt the food was very good for this type of resort(remember the alcohol comes with it as well). The rooms were very nice and we had one of the cheaper rooms as we did not stay in it very much. You could go snorkeling, learn to do some shallow scuba, sail and veg by the pool. We golfed a couple of times and only had to pay a small amount for caddies. The spa looked very nice, but we did not utilize it. We took the land and sea tour going to the Pitons(a must see), the botanical gardens and the volcano(smelly but interesting). Then you get on the party boat and see some of the sights from the water and some you can only get to by boat(Although I was 36 at the time we had a great time drinking, dancing and mingling with others visiting the island(You get to snorkel as well). We only went into the market area twice and it wasn't very impressive. If you go shopping, go when the cruise ships are not there as it is less crowded and better deals were to be had. I wouldn't worry. I travel all over the world each year, while it is not the Ritz and it is not Hawaii it is in and of itself a great place to relax and Sandals was a great resort to have fun(I agree with the lack of late night entertainment). We also just got back from Hawaii- Maui, Lanai and Kauai- Few resorts match the Manele Bay and Lodge at Keole on Lanai.
But the cost was more than twice as much as we would have paid to return to St. Lucia without food in Hawaii.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 02:53 PM
Jenn

Well Thank you so much everyone for all of your inputs! My fiance and I went ahead and booked it last night. We are staying at the larger resort. It appears to be everything we are looking for. We went for the best room they had with the plunge pool on a bluff. We figured it was our honeymoon so we went for it. Expensive but hopefully worth it. I really appreciate the input about all the tours. I hadn't known that the pitons existed and the sunset cruise sounds great. As far as the night life, like susan said, Iam on my honeymoon with a pool in our room overlooking the ocean! That's the best night life I could ask for. Thanks again!