Reload this Page >

St.Lucia Halcyon or Golf&Spa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 1999, 03:17 PM
Mark

Planning honeymoon for August '99. <BR>Can't decide whether to stay at Golf&Spa or Halcyon. <BR>If at Golf&Spa how are rooms above sunset suites on bluff? Is bluff view worth sacraficing balcony or are rooms above honeymoon suites better b/c of balcony & closer to beach? <BR>Or should we not stay at Golf&spa and go to Halcyon? As you can see we need help. Thanks!

Old Jan 8th, 1999, 06:24 AM
Gwen

Hi Mark, <BR>It's really hard to say which resort to stay at, it depends on what you want. We stayed at Halcyon 2 years ago and loved it. The resort was small, but spread out, casual and very beautiful. We took the shuttle over to Golf&Spa to golf and have dinner. We were glad we had stayed at Halcyon as the other was too big, too pink, seemed crowded, pool was very crowded, deluxe rooms were too far away from main building, and there was quite a current on the beach. The honeymoon rooms are quite close to everything, and the bluff rooms are quite a distance. The crowd at Halcyon was more Europeans, while the Golf&Spa were Americans. It is great value to stay at Halcyon and then take the shuttle to the other for the restaurants and golf. It really depends on what type of resort you are looking for, and what you like best. If you have any specific questions please email me. <BR>

Old Jan 15th, 1999, 12:08 PM
A Hines

Mark, <BR> <BR>I am recently back from St. Lucia, we stayed at Halcyon and loved it! Took a shuttle to Golf & Spa and were also happy to have stayed at Halcyon over Golf & Spa which we felt was more impersonal, too big, and the pool was very crowded. We felt that it was nice to visit via the shuttle but we were glad to return to Halcyon. Can't help with room info but if you want more specific info about our experience feel free to e-mail me directly.

Old Jan 15th, 1999, 03:07 PM
Leslie

I agree: Sandals Halcyon is a wonderful resort and the better of the 2 in my opinion. The food at both Sandals was just wonderful; the service was better at Sandals Halcyon (service at this resort was amazingly good and personal); My favorite restaurants were: The Pier; Kimonos; Marios; and LA TOC french restaurant. <BR>Our favorite hangout was at night: The secluded "Paradise" Pool; floating around at midnight, staring up a sky full of stars and listening to the buzz of frogs............god I miss it!

Old Feb 3rd, 1999, 07:08 PM
Liz

Mark, We're planning to go to Sandals Halcyon in August '99 for our honeymoon as well. We're planning for a 2 week stay. <BR> <BR>From all the research I've done so far on the net it seems to be the concensus that Halcyon is definitely better in terms of better personal service-the staff gets to know and serve you better because of the smaller number of guests. <BR> <BR>As for the rooms, again with research, there's so much to do there that you won't be spending THAT much time indoors so why pay for something that you really won't appreciate. (Yes, I did mention that I'm going for my honeymoon.) You still get to enjoy the same services no matter which level you choose. As well, from what I heard, the "lowest" room at Sandals ain't too shabby anyways. Its Sandals. <BR> <BR>There are other resorts to go to in St. Lucia but for a 2 week stay, I heard the food selection for other "all-inclusives" is very repetative - this is where Sandals is great because of the ability to eat at both resorts. <BR> <BR>If you have any other info to share, please e-mail me, I'd really appreciate it.

Old Feb 8th, 1999, 11:24 AM
Neil Fossum

Hi Mark, <BR> I just got back from Sandal's St. Lucia (Golf/Spa), and I have to stay it was the most disappointing experience in 13 years of traveling in the Caribbean. We also went over to Halcyon a few times and found it much quieter and service much better. The beach at Golf was closed 6 of 7 days due to high surf and tides. This may be a seasonal thing though - an important question to ask about Aug. The beach at Halcyon was always open. <BR> The SCUBA operation was absolutely first class - whether you're certified or not. If you want to play golf, club rental is $20 per person, cady fee is $5 per person plus tip. The course is pretty short and usually not very crowded. Transportation between resorts was infrequent and hardly convenient. Island tours were a little pricy and they cram 10-12 people in a volkswagon bus. The Bike/hike tour was very good as was the jeep safari. <BR> If you really must do the golf/spa, I'd recommend a room above honeymoon suite. More private than in the main hotel. The sunset suites are really remote - a lot of walking! Plus Sandals is in the process of expanding on the bluff - so construction noise is a real problem for the sunset suites. Finally, only the 2nd floor of the sunset suites has a decent view, the 1st floor view is blocked by vegetation. <BR> I would discourage you from Sandal's altogether. It really is not a very good deal. You would do much better going on a cruise. Sandal's really had the cruise ship feel, except that you stay in the same place. If you must do Sandal's, I'd check out Antigua instead. Good Luck and have a great honeymoon whereever you go!

Old Feb 12th, 1999, 10:54 PM
Mark

Go to another resort! Sandals made our honeymoon a "horror-moon". Go to the Hilton at Jelouise. It is intimate and much more enjoyable. Sandals has a bad idea of customer satisfaction.....feel free to e-mail for details....Mark

Old May 23rd, 1999, 01:19 PM
Diane

Just had to comment on Leslie's comment about staring up at the star's, listening to the frog's. We stared at the stars from the tennis court and found it hard to believe we were on the same planet! <BR>Have fun!