Reload this Page >

St John Trip Report part 3

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 03:39 PM
Jesse

Exited the ferry in Cruz Bay and it is raining something awful. I am now looking for my villa Great Expectations. I am reading the directions and driving on the left at the same time. Finally I give up reading and hand the directions to my buddy sitting next to me. We are Polish and my buddy's English is not that good. So as he is reading the directions in his broken English a gust of wind comes thru my no window having Jeep Wrangler and rips one of the 3 pages of directions out of his hands and out the jeep it goes down the side of the hill into oblivion. Great, we are missing 1 page of directions, it is raining like crazy, jeep has no windows, we are lost, and suitcases are wet. There were four of in the jeep with 4 suitcases, a video camera, a laptop, a digital camera and a duffel bag. It was very cramped. <BR>I do not know how but I ended up in Coral Bay, the whole time its still raining and I was missing my first page of directions. I pulled over in Coral bay and showed one of the locals what was left of my directions and he knew where I was supposed to be, the other side of the island. Se we make our way back in the pouring rain and finally found our temporary home. On the way to Coral Bay we almost got into an accident with that same smelly truck that was on the ferry on the way over to St John. That was totally my fault as well as a long story. <BR>

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 04:28 PM
Janice

Sounds like you had those two kinds of luck on you trip, you know the ones I mean.

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 03:34 AM
Martin

Sounds to me like bad luck combined with more than a little... uh, (choosing my words here)...unpreparedness. <BR> <BR>You didn't even know which side of the island your villa was on? The first time you thought to look at the directions was as you were driving along (in the wrong direction, obviously) in the rain?

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 05:16 AM
anonymous

it's been so long since I read part #1 and #2, I've forgotten where you were in your report ... <BR>Yes, it rains and it rains hard on St. John at times - and the wind can gust! Check with people who are there now! Yes, it can be difficult to acclimate yourself and go in circles whether in a jeep or even on a trail! It's all in the adventure ... <BR>Ignore the nasty remarks ... looking forward to hearing the rest of the adventure. I have found it is the "disasters" that leave the best memories and laughter! Watch out for those water trucks and other big trucks. It's on St. John that one learns to use one's horn and use it liberally when doing those switchbacks and hills! Keep the report a comin'

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 09:15 AM
Karen

Jesse, <BR>Good for you! Looking forward to that report! I'm supposed to be sitting on the beach there right now and since I can't be there, I really enjoyed rereading your posts today! But, then the weather here in the NE might just be a bit sunnier - only for today, that is!

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 12:16 PM
jesse

I have been very busy and will finish my report soon. If anyone is interested in some of my pics, copy and paste the following link: <BR> <BR>http://community.webshots.com/album/22634722RkqaoOOLoy <BR> <BR>They are not the best pics, I had just purchased the digital camera and had taken some practice shots.