St. John or St. Thomas???

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 03:38 PM
amanda

St. John or St. Thomas???

My husband and I are planning a trip to the USVI (first time). Thinking about Caneel Bay St.John or the Ritz-Carlton St.Thomas. Have heard rumors about crime in St. Thomas? We are looking for great beaches, exploration, safety and some night-life. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 05:18 PM
bob

I went to see the ritz in december then drove 5 minutes and took the ferry to st. john where a 10 minute car ride will get you to caneel bay. the property at the ritz was beautiful but did not see caneel bay property. very secluded in st. john but probably the best beaches in caribbean. both are great bets

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 01:45 PM
Beverly

I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton on St. Thomas for a business conference and visited St. John for a one day tour. I wished it had been the other way around. While the Ritz is certainly quite an elegant resort, the beach was really just a smallish bay and the trip to town for shopping or restaurants was always a long hilly trip to the other side of the island. The island was not as pretty as others I've been to. The "nightlife" we found for dancing turned out to be literally a shack built on a strip mall's parking lot (Duffy's, I think). St. John, on the other hand, is quite lush with beautiful scenery and beaches. There shopping areas were less dirty with a little more upscale feel. I have not been to Caneel Bay but if you are looking for a real tropical island atmosphere you'd more likely find it on St. John which is less populated than St. Thomas.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 03:31 PM
Parrot Mom

Thumbs up for Caneel Bay.. after spending a week in St. Thomas except for the shopping I'd take St. John's.. I don't know about the night life there though... Oh yes, Mongoose is a mini mall (I think I remember it correctly)..but St. Thomas is definetely worth it for china, camera, jewelry, etc..but know your prices ahead of time.. It's wall to wall people from cruise ships..

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 04:49 PM
janet

hi, <BR> <BR>For what you describe, I would have to recommend Caneel Bay. Caneel Bay doesn't have A great beach, it has seven of them. I would opt for either a premium or Beach front room; both put you just steps from the water. The look and feel is not the "luxury" of the Ritz; the rooms are very nice, but certainly not lavish; little room service; no phones, no TVs. Depending on the time of year, almost no people. We were there in November, had a beach front room on Hawksnest Beach and usually had no one else within 50 yards or so. Snorkeling is great right off the beach. <BR> <BR>In addition there are several other beaches/trails to explore on St. John. And the town of Cruz Bay is very safe; have never had problems or felt in danger; very different feelings strolling through St. Thomas at night. <BR> <BR>However, nightlife? Not a lot of it on St. John. No big nightclubs or shows; some of the bars have entertainment; and, of course, there are the Crab races at the Beach Bar on Tuesday nights. <BR> <BR>If you really can't decide, try splitting the week between the two. The Ritz is not far from the Red Hook ferry. <BR> <BR>hope this helps, <BR> <BR>janet <BR>

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 07:07 PM
Marlena

Hi! <BR> <BR>My husband and I stayed for a week at the Ritz-Carlton last April. I have to say that while we thought the beach area was wonderful, the hotel rooms and the service were not up to the standards of other Ritz properties that we have stayed at. The furnishings, linens and the even the lounge chairs provided on the patio were old and falling apart. We were supposed to get a non-smoking room and the bedspread and pillows just wreaked of cigarettes. Also, the hairdryer was broken. We were told later by management that the hotel rooms were going to get a face lift soemtime in 2000. You may want to check on that if you decide to stay there. We waited 1 1/2 hours for breakfast room service one morning. Although we were told that everything is run on a slower "island time" when you are paying over $400.00 a night you expect a higher quality. Again, maybe others haven't had the bad luck we did. <BR> <BR>