Reload this Page >

St. John - jellyfish season????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 08:24 PM
Mike

I heard that jellyfish migrate to the beaches but I don't know the season. They can ruin your trip, especially if your a snorkler. Does anyone know when this occurs?

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 01:24 PM
Denise

Dear Mike, I live in St. Thomas but I do not remember when the jellyfish season is. I would call the Department of Planning and Natural Resources at 340-774-3320 and ask for Fish and Wildlife Divsion. Some one there should be able to tell you (also try 340-775-6762. If that does not work call the University of the Virgin Islands and ask for the Marine Biology Department. Good Luck. Denise

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 02:10 AM
Karen

Usually jellies can be the most problem in the Fall ... September and October when the water gets the warmest ... the same super-heated water that spawns and grows those horrible Lenny's and all his cousins that play havoc with the islands.

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 12:27 PM
Louis

The only jelly fish we have seen in the St. John area are of the moon variety. These are relatively harmless but they can be unpleasant for some people. We always wear a full lycra or nylon suit and hood with warm water gloves. This is enough protection from most things even fire coral. It is also great for avoiding sun burn. A less expensive solution is a long sleeve turtle neck T shirt and dancer's tights. I think the last post is correct in that they tend to multiply when the water is the warmest. I don't believe they migrate but instead only go where the water currents take them. That is why you see jelly fish washed up on the beachs along the Atlantic seashore. Many of these are of the very mean type and should be avoided at all costs. You should get a book on sea life dangers as there are worse stuff than jelly fish in the water.