St. John armed robbery shocks residents

Jul 16th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Jill

St. John armed robbery shocks residents

I just saw this on another travel forum... Skinny Legs restaurant in St. John was robbed by three gunmen wearing masks who burst in with an assault rifle. The police chief calls it a "wake up call" for St. John.

http://www.virginislandsdailynews.co...home?id=255277

Jul 16th, 2002, 10:42 PM
a

Hard to belive.
I ate lunch there a few weeks ago !

Jul 17th, 2002, 04:45 AM
Susan

Whether you ate lunch there or not...it still happened.

Look at the people @ the World Trade Ctr. They were all working the day before...still, it is hard to believe that such tragedy has happened.

Jul 17th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Nancy

Susan, St. John and New York City are hardly comparable.
St. John has long been known as one of the safest and laid back Caribbean destinations.
I truly hope they catch those responsible for the robbery and make them an example with harsh penalties.

Jul 17th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Michelle

Susan, How could you possibly compare the two??? You MUST NOT

Jul 17th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Michelle

Sorry.. Hit enter by accident. As I was saying... You clearly must not be from New York. Please DO NOT make those comparisons.

Jul 17th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Another Michelle

Whoa. We had a blast at Skinny Legs just a few weeks ago...we hope that everyone there is ok...

Susan, what an odd comparison...a robbery at a Caribbean restaurant and the senseless murder of 3000 people...

I'm believing that your intentions were good, but this just struck me as a bit strange. I think it's a good idea to keep the tragedy in NYC out of the comparison forum. JMHO...of course.

Jul 17th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Joe

What other travel forum, Jill?

Jul 17th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Michelle

Hi Michelle, We are leaving for St. John in a little over a week! Did you enjoy it? We are staying at the Westin and are really looking forward to a break. We haven't been away really since 9/11. My fiance barely escaped the WTC and was quite skittish about going anywhere for a long while. We NEED to relax!

Jul 17th, 2002, 01:56 PM
ttt

ttt

Jul 17th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Ogre

So, what's the safest place in the world now?

Jul 17th, 2002, 05:38 PM
jesse

Jill, you did not complete the quote by the police cheif. It reads " This is like a wake-up call for us on St. John. This is not normal". You just wanted to make it sound worse that it really was.

Jul 17th, 2002, 05:40 PM
jesse

Oh, and it also reads that the last armed robbery on Coral Bay was Oct 11, 1999. So w.t.f. is your point?

Jul 17th, 2002, 07:34 PM
jesse

I've calmed down now and I apologize for those last two remarks. I realize that "attacking the messenger" is for losers. I now see that you titled the thread "shocks residents" so my conspiracy theory is revealed for the rant that it was. Jill, I'm sorry I attacked you instead of focusing on solutions to the crime problem. Peace.

Jul 17th, 2002, 09:08 PM
jesse

Last post not me, I stand for what I have said.

So every time there is a crime on an island we should post it, I understand now. So if someone bitch slaps a donkey we should put it up on this board. My point is it happens, so what big deal. No injuries, no fatalities, and no need to make a big deal of it. Again I ask, w.t.f. is the point? Is it to keep us away for Skinny Legs now that it has been robbed? Keep us away from St. John 'cause we may be the next victim? Thank you for your concern.

Why do we think that our vacation destinations have to be crime free? All this crime broadcasting is making me sick. Yes, there are beautiful places in this world. Unfortunately, there are some ugly people living in paradise also.

Jul 17th, 2002, 10:11 PM
a

Jesse,
Maybe Jill's intention was just a friendly "warning" to all of us heading anywhere on vacation. Keeping eyes and ears open is important regardless of where you are. Just like the sky is blue and when it rains it's wet.
St. John is generally considered safe but "things" happen and we should be aware of it.
I don't have a sense from her post that she wants to keep anyone away from Skinny Legs and/or St. John.
Jesse, don't be an angy young man. What's the point ? Be a nice one instead. Hmmmm ?

Jul 18th, 2002, 04:02 AM
Susan

Michelle-

Uh, yes I am from New York.

But I have found that alot of people that reside in New York, have become somewhat pig headed regarding 911.

Doesn't this state of ours realize that it did not ONLY affect New York, but also the country as a WHOLE.

So please, my fellow New Yorkers...STOP ACTING LIKE YOU WERE THE ONLY ONE AFFECTED MY 911!

Jul 18th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Michelle

Read my post, Susan, you idiot. My fiance barely escaped with his life although he was seriously injured. To compare a robbery to the deaths of close to 3,000 is insane. And NO, we were not the only ones affected but I am not aware of any other state that experienced such death and destruction in their own backyard. I'll certainly ask my fiance to stop being so "pig headed" when he speaks of so many of his friends and co-workers who died that day. Oh, and I'll ask my girlfriend to stop it as well when she gets upset over losing her husband when she was 7 months pregnant.

Jul 18th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Nancy

Michelle,
I think Susan missed "medication time" this morning. She has been on a rampage ever since.
I'm still waiting for one post from her with any useful information regarding the Caribbean.
It seems like all she does is get on various posts and attack people.
Michelle, I'm really sorry that you and your friends/family were affected so profoundly by 9/11.

Jul 18th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Michelle

Nancy, Your reply was so very thoughtful. Thank you. I have noticed this "Susan" person's postings lately and she really seems like an idiot.

Thank you again, Nancy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO