St John accomodations guidance sought

Aug 31st, 2001, 07:45 AM
elliott

St John accomodations guidance sought

I'm planning a trip to St. John in Feb 02 and trying to find a great place to say. Could anyone offer comparison information on:

- Caneel Bay (still pricey but I hear the rep is slipping) Is is worth the price
- Westin
- Nice villas or condo's

???

Aug 31st, 2001, 08:55 AM
Pete

Highly recommend Gallows Point. We stayed in an ocean side loft unit (3C) in April 1999 and it was worth every penny. It's a full condominium, with full kitchen, living/dining area, 1.5 baths and loft upstairs with a queen bed. Wonderful location, you can walk into Cruz Bay (for $1 happy hour beers at Woody's) and not worry about driving home after dinner. The hotel is right on a point, and our unit was right on the edge of the water. It did not have A/C which was not a problem in april (has ceiling fans & is breezy), but would have been hot in the summer. You won't have any trouble in February.

The Westin is on a not-so great beach, I think it is man-made and there are a lot of boats that anchor in the bay so the water is cloudier than in other areas. The westin does have a huge pool, which is nice. Gallows does not have a sandy beach, but does have a rocky area and floating platform so you can snorkel. The best beaches are in the National Park. Caneel has an unbeatable location with beautiful beaches, but no pool, and is a drive from town. Another recommendation that is less expensive but in a good location (haven't seen the inside of the units, but they look ok) is Lavender Hill condominiums.

I can't wait to go back!!

Aug 31st, 2001, 08:55 AM
anonymous

Caneel--more $, better food, better beaches (7 of them), more natural environment, more sedate, more quiet.

Westin--more active pool/bar area, more kids, manmade beach (1), more manicured grounds, OK food.

Villa--more privacy, cheaper than Caneel, rarely located right on the beach, no maid service.

Bottom line--If great beaches and a resort environment are what you're after (and you have the $) go to Caneel. If a great pool and a resort environment are
your priorities, go to the Westin. If you want plenty of privacy and like getting out to explore the island on your own, go with a villa.

Aug 31st, 2001, 09:16 AM
Bill

I'd go with a villa if you want peace and quiet. For about the same as you would spend at Caneel, you'd have a house with a pool, all to yourselves -- many offer total privacy. You'd need a car for the week, but I've always found that's the only way to see an island anyway, even when staying at a nice resort.

Check these websites:
http://www.caribbeanvilla.com/
http://www.cateredto.com/

There's another one that I can't remember right now. Do a web search.

Aug 31st, 2001, 10:00 AM
Paul

Having visited the Westin, Gallows Point, and Caneel.....I can offer the following.

The all 3 are very nice and worth the $$ they ask for. Its more a matter of what you want.

Beaches.....Caneel
Close to town and more room.....Gallows.
Great Pool.....Westin

My pref. is Caneel Bay. Where else in the world can you have 7 beaches in one day? Yes it is VERY pricy. We felt worth every penny. For the record they do have a small pool.(which we never visted)

Have fun!

Aug 31st, 2001, 10:55 AM
pete

I stand corrected on the pool at Caneel Bay!

If you're going with a villa, make sure to ask about road access. Some are on the paved roads, some are not, and some of the unpaved roads on St. John are pretty scary (steep & twisty). Definitely rent a jeep/suzuki to get around the island, you can visit a different beach every day! Friend have stayed at Aria villa (booked through Caribbean Villas & Resorts) and have been happy with it--although it is not within walking distance of town.

Aug 31st, 2001, 12:09 PM
My2cents

I am not an alarmist, but i have been reading on the USVI caribbean on line site, that there have been quite a few villas have been broken into, with the quests asleep. They did not realize their money was taken until they needed it the next day. So I would not rent a villa. i always feel very safe on the island at Caneel and love to explore every beach!
Go with a hotel or condo!

Aug 31st, 2001, 12:51 PM
Bill

2-cents -
Really? Which forum did you see this on? Is it any particular part of the island, or generally?