Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

ST. CROIX, USVI: WARNING TO GAY AND LESBIAN TRAVELERS!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 1998, 04:51 PM
IB

My partner, Brad, and I planned a week’s vacation at a resort called “ON THE BEACH” just outside FREDERIKSTED, ST. CROIX, US VIRGIN ISLANDS (1-800-524-2018). Brad made the reservations by phone in October for the week of January 7-14, 1998 and, as requested, I mailed to “ON THE BEACH” my personal check in the amount of $642.50, a required advance deposit of 50%25 of the weekly rate for our room...no mention of any cancellation policy when the telephone reservation was made, but after cashing our check, a confirmation arrived stating there was a “60-day advance cancellation policy" during high season.

On December 24, 1997 Brad learned that he was suffering from multiple myeloma, or cancer of the bone marrow, and a few days later was informed that he should begin chemotherapy and radiation treatments without delay. Brad notified “ON THE BEACH”, by telephone and confirming letter on December 29, 1997, that we had no choice but to cancel our trip to St. Croix. The resort employee with whom Brad spoke on Dec. 29th promised to bring the matter to the attention of the owner, "MR. RONALD SMITH", and suggested Brad's physician should send them a letter confirming Brad's illness. In our letter to “ON THE BEACH” canceling the reservation , we asked them to consider returning our deposit in view Brad's medical condition, which was corroborated by his physician's letter.

Not having received a response to our December 29th letter, we have made repeated telephone calls to “ON THE BEACH” over a period of three weeks, asking to speak with the owner; each time we were told that the owner was unavailable. Finally, a call to “ON THE BEACH” today was answered by Mr. Ronald Smith himself. Offering no apology or excuse for failing to respond to our letter or repeated telephone calls, he firmly and rudely reiterated the resort’s cancellation policy requiring 60 days advance notice, and flatly refused to consider refunding even a portion of our deposit. He claimed to have been unable to book our room, and was thus “sharing the loss” with us.

IS THIS PRACTICE BUSINESS AS USUAL IN THE CARIBBEAN ??? Are there any other channels through which we could pursue this matter? Our total loss of $642.50 poses a financial hardship given the situation we are now facing.

IB

Old Jan 24th, 1998, 05:27 PM
Charlie

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune , I wish you well , however I would think sexual slant would have nothing to do with issueing a warning . It would be less discrimatory if your warning was meant for everyone , no ?

Old Jan 25th, 1998, 08:12 AM
IB

Charlie, thanks for your response. The question you pose is valid, and begs for an explanation. Our warning is targeted to gay and lesbian travelers because "ON THE BEACH" markets itself -and has done for some years- as a "relaxed and accepting atmosphere (making this) a popular spot for a wonderfully mixed clientele of gays, lesbians and friends." Elsewhere in their brochure: "friendly management has long made the resort an enduring gay favorite," and "Gay men and lesbians are the predominate clientele..."

Also not mentioned in the original posting is the fact that they REFUSE TO ACCEPT CREDIT CARDS FOR DEPOSIT PAYMENTS...you find out about the cancellation policy AFTER they've cashed your check.

GAYS, LESBIANS, "and FRIENDS" PLEASE STEER CLEAR OF "ON THE BEACH" RESORT!

Thanks for your concern. IB

Old Jan 25th, 1998, 02:24 PM
Charlie

IB in case you're unaware there is a travel post on Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree specifically for gays , you may reach more people on that posting . Adios !