Search

St Croix or St. Martin

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St Croix or St. Martin

My husband and I are planning a trip in March and I was wondering what you would recommend-St. Croix or St. Martin. We are looking for nice beaches, snorkeling, etc. and also a little nightlife (not Spring Break Crazy but we do like to go out some). We need some recommendations because we have not been to either place. Thanks for any help!!
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 07:19 AM

The beaches and nightlife are both better in St. Martin, though I prefer the small resorts on the French side over the large resorts on the Dutch side. Snorkeling opportunities, however, are better on St. Croix. On either island, you'll have to rent a car to get around to the best snorkeling beaches. It's hard to recommend hotels without knowing what you like, but the Buccaneer on St. Croix is one of my favorites, though it's expensive. Carringtons is an excellent small inn but is not on the beach. On St. Martin, many posters like the Grand Case Beach Club.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

The Buccaneer did look nice, but I was hoping for an oceanfront room and those are out of my price range. The Divi Carina Bay and Carambola in St. Croix looked nice but far removed from things. Is there shopping, restaurants, things do within walking distance from the hotels in St. Martin?
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 09:16 AM

I'm partial to the Buccaneer and would pick an Oceanview room there (in the Great House, high on the hill, great view of the sea) over Divi or Carambola. Check tripadvisor for helpful reviews of the hotels...they both get mixed ones.

Another hotel some like very much on the beach in St. Croix is Tamarind Reef. Would be oceanfront, more like a nice motel than a true resort but not far from Christiansted.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 01:36 PM

There's nothing wrong with the Divi in St. Croix, but it's definitely not my favorite, and it is isolated. Also, the beach isn't so great. Carambola is hit or miss. You could look at Tamarind or Hibiscus ... or even Sugar Beach if you have to be right on the sand. The only place in St. Martin with a range of shopping and dining within walking distance is Maho Beach Resort. Grand Case has many restaurants (among the best on the island and the Caribbean) but not much shopping or other activities. You've chosen 2 islands where you definitely need a car.