spring break in the carribean?

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 09:30 PM
Rose

spring break in the carribean?

friends and I are planning to go to the carribean for spring break. which island would be the most fun and affordable (without it being a 'spring break' spot like jamaica or the bahamas)?

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 07:57 AM
tivertonhouse

Jamaica is super/fine for spring break as long as you avoid Negril, Hedonism and the usual suspects...Treasure Beach area on the South Coast and Port Antonio are worthy considerations, if only for their complete lack of spring break hordes....

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 08:25 AM
mary

Iw would say an affordable, non-spring break distination would have to be Playa del Carmen, Mexico. It's about one hour ride south of Cancun.

Otherwise, I know the Dominican Republic is affordable but I've never been there. I doubt if it's a real spring break island.

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 08:29 AM
Karen

Confused here. You are saying that Playa is not a popular Spring Break place? Couple of years ago we were there during Carnival and Spring Break time, and it was loaded as were the beaches. Of course, it was still not the jam and mess that is Cancun with wall to wall people but I think that you'll find that it does have its share of Spring Breakers.

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 09:16 AM
Penney

Look into Aruba. Therre are always some really great rates there and there are tons of super spots for nightlife - beautiful beaches too!

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 09:37 AM
mary

Sorry Karen, I haven't been there in three years. I knew it would boom back then, and I should have guessed that it has become popular with spring breakers as well.

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 10:11 AM
Karen

No apology necessary, Mary! And I figured that compared to Cancun, Playa was quiet and wonderful but still busier than some other locals that are less traditonal Spring Break destinations! We happened to be there the nite of the Parade and it was delightful. It did seem as those who were choosing Playa weren't just interested in the partying and Cancun-craziness tho and it seemed to be more "internationally" flavored. I loved it!

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 11:01 AM
mary

I loved it too. Can't wait to go back. I know it's growing, I just hope it keeps it's charm and doesnt'get too big, e.g., another Cancun.

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 05:58 PM
D motl

We are always on Isla Mujeres during the height of spring break frenzy in Cancun. Yes some kids come over but they come to avoid other spring breakers.It is also very affordable--much cheaper than Cancun or PDC.The island is 10 miles from Cancun and fery boats leave every half hour from Puerto Juarez Visit
isla-mujeres.net for photos and other info. We also have a 22 page brouchure on the island which we e-mail out on request. Dan and Ginny