Spring Break for Teenagers?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friends and I have decided to get a jump-start on planning our Spring break, and we've just started doing research. We know we want to be in the Caribbean, but not much more than that. Just a few questions, your answers are greatly appreciated!

- We'd be leaving from the Northeast (most likely Newark or NYC
- We're not clubbers, so while we might want to go out dancing one night, the partying/drinking scene isn't really of high importance. We just want great beaches and an exciting culture. The group will be between 4 and 8 people.

1) Which islands are the most friendly to teenagers? (17 and 18 year olds) What kind things to do are there?
2) To our surprise, we've been noticing that private villas and apartments are less expensive than staying at larger hotels. What kind of lodging should we stick to?

Other than that, just personal recommendations or tips you can offer would be so helpful. Thank you in advance!
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Oh, and also, is it cheaper to go during Winter [February] or Spring? [April]
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 07:39 PM

Do you have any one older than 18 in your group? Some places will only rent a villa to some oneover the age of 25.
Unless you visit islands and resorts that cater to very young adults you may run into some problems. Are you looking for the MTV experience or do you really want to experience the Caribbean? High season in general starts mid December and runs into April. Cost won't be a factor for that reason. Will be the same whether spring or winter.Have you considered the cost of airfare to a destination other than the all inclusive resorts and charters. Dependent on which destination chosen airfare can be well over a $1000. What exactly are you looking for? When my nniece was 18 she took a Windjammer Barefoot cruise and had a great time. i took her as a graduation gift. This would be a trip to see the real Caribbean Very different from a mega liner. Give us a little more info and I'm sure you'll find the info you're looking for.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

All the people going will either be 17 or 18, so no one over 25.

I'm not sure what you mean by the MTV experience vs. the Real Caribbean; we're interested in doing some tourist-like activites, such as learning about the history and enjoying the beaches, snorkeling, etc. But we want the option to go out at night, too, if it's there.

i don't know much information, i'm asking questions to learn what the options are first, and then make a decision.

Would you recommend choosing an all-inclusive package?
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 08:12 PM

I concur with Vinceygirl, I'm pretty sure no one will rent a villa out to a bunch of 18 year olds. No offense, it's just that you won't have assets to attach in case of liabilities. you are probably better off at a hotel. If you like a more cultural environment, maybe think about Nevis, the birthplace of Alexander Hamilton, one of the most significant figures in American history. A very safe island and has some lightweight nightlife, very nice locals, and good watersports, etc. Although, I don't know what it offers in the way of hotels/accomodations. Others on this board are more familiar than I. If my 18 year old wanted to go somewhere, and I were inclined to allow it, it would be somewhere like Nevis. I'd recommend St. John but 1) it isn't as culturally different as Nevis and 2) I'd sound like a broken record.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 03:43 AM

Nevis is a good suggestion Tuxedocat. I suggested the WJ because I know first hand how much a young adult in that age bracket can enjoy themselves with sun n sand, culture, and the right mix of party time. I also know how protective the crew is of all their passengers and feel it is a rather safe environment compared to other options. The cruise would be a good way for them to experience a few different islands and then make a choice to spend more time at a later date.
You may run in to some problems with any one under 18 not being legally acceptable no matter where you go if no one older than 18. Maybe I'm wrong about that having been out of the loop for a few yrs.
Another choice would be St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Bequia would be a great island for all that you're looking for and probably some reasonable accomodations outside a resort area. Try a websearch entering St Vincent & grenadines tourism. also view www.jammerbabe.com and www.windjammer.com If nothing else you will read much about different islands , connections and things to do on various islands as well as recommended places to stay. Have fun and please keep us posted on your decision.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 03:45 AM

One more thing jina, I commend you and your group doing some reseach. Very good idea.
Sandy
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 04:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I think that an island with a little more action might be what you are looking for.
Puerto Rico has culture, beaches and nightlife.
I am trying to think of what would be appealing to me at 18. It has been awhile, but I did take a trip to PR at 19 and had fun.
If you want all inclusive, Mexico is probably your best bet.
I would have said Aruba because we had fun trip there, but with the recent disappearance of that girl, I am not so sure the club scene would be safe for young people at 18. That being said be careful wherever you go. It is not safe just because everyone seems nice and you are all having a good time. Enough lecture. I will save that one for your parents.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 07:47 AM

First off, with the exception of Cancun and Cozemel, the Caribbean is not known as a "Spring Break" destination but that doesn't mean a group of mature teenagers can't find an appealing place. You just have to realize the Caribbean is more geared toward families and couples. I have to agree with others in saying that it will probably be extremely difficult for a group of 18 & 19 year olds to rent a villa so you might want to concentrate your efforts on finding a hotel or resort that will allow guests of your age. I stongly suggest you make doublely sure the hotel or resort you choose allows underage guests as you don't want to arrive at your destination only to be turned away because you are considered minors by the management (a lot of hotels and resorts have minimum age requirements).

As to where to go, that will somewhat be driven by your budget. You'll be going in what is known as "High or Peak Season" in the Caribbean so expect to see the highest prices of the year for your accomodations. As far as airfares go, if you stick to those islands you can reach non-stop from your departure city, you'll save a bundle. If you are leaving from NYC/Newark check out places like Nassau, Provo (in the Turks & Caicos), Puerto Rico, St. Martin/Sint Maarten, St. Thomas, Antigua, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, St. Lucia, Barbados and Aruba.

Depending on your planned dates of travel you might be able to get R/T airfares to one of the islands mentioned in the $600PP to $800PP range. You can add anywhere between $200PP and $400PP for the cost of connecting flights to some of the smaller islands. One other thing that you will have to factor into your budget is the cost of a passport (about $90) which will be required after December 31, 2005 for anyone entering back into the US after a trip to the Caribbean.

While it is possible to find budget accomodations on almost every island you'll find overall prices are going to be lower in the Dominican Republic, Jamaica and Antigua, especially if you are looking for All Inclusive resorts. If you check the Travel Section of your local Sunday newspaper or a reputable Travel Agent for package deals you'll get a start on figuring your budget (if you belong to AAA check there as they have lots of good packages for the first time Caribbean traveller.

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 10:59 AM

About seven years ago when I was a senior in college I went to Nassau with a bunch of friends for spring break. It's was insanely cheap, easy to get to, and a lot of fun. The beaches were great, you could get around on the local bus system (the jitney) for next to nothing, the clubs were fun, lots to do during the day (snorkel trips, checking out the Atlantis, shopping), good food, and a few historical sites.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 12:18 PM

Negril has become a very popular Spring Break destination - I wish it weren't, but no one asked me. I would imagine it is an attractive choice because of cost, convenience of bars and restaurants, and the fact that there is no need to have a car. Fun Holiday, along with others, appears to be a favorite among breakers.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 12:33 PM

I would like to gently suggest that since you are under 21, you remain in the US. Otherwise you will all need passports, and if you have any trouble (I know you said you aren't partiers, but groups take on a whole new personality in my experience), you won't be in a foreign country.

For that reason, consider St. Thomas - not as cheap as Nassau, but somewhat safer. Please promise us you will not go out at night unless there are three or more of you. You do know about Natalee Holloway right?

Sorry if this comes off as high-handed. I have two daughters your age, and they are smart and beautiful, but I would not let them leave the US unchaperoned.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

I'm certain that everyone in the group already has a passport, so that shouldn't cause an issue. We are more likely to stay in the US, just for convenience/logic reasons. And we won't be splitting up into small groups, for we are all very aware of the Natalee Holloway incident. Thank you for your concern, though.

We've canceled out the proposal of a villa. Since we are young and unchaperoned, it feels safer to be in a large hotel versus a secluded property.

Thank you for all of the honest advice! It makes the research and decision making so much easier.

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 12:31 PM

jina - have you thought about the Frenchman's Reef Marriott in St Thomas (again I dont know exactly when you are going or your budget) The hotel has a lot to do on the property and is connected to the Morningstar Marriott. There are many restaurants and a night club on property (I don't know their rules about under 21 in the club, but you could easily find out)
From there it would be easy to get to the shops / restaurants in town - they run a water taxi. Just don't venture around the streets in town at night, most restaurants would make you have a taxi waiting for you.
Also, it would be easy from St Thomas to take a day trip to St John which would be great for snorkeling / exploring.
Wherever you end up just use MORE caution that you would at home. I don't say this necessarily because you are younger than me, but because I think people in general assume "paradise" is ALWAYS very safe and that is just not the case. Better safe than sorry
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 12:52 PM

NO WAY WOULD I LET MY 17 OR 18 YEAR OLD GO ON AN UNCHAPERONED SPRING BREAK WITH A GROUP OF OTHER 17 OR 18 YEAR OLDS! Oh, pardon me, was I yelling? What are your parents thinking?
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 01:11 PM

jina, I would suggest that within the US you take a look at spending a few nights in Puerto Rico--a little time in Old San Juan to be near the action and a little time on the offshore island of Vieques for pure beach relaxation.

If you want to venture beyond US territories, I should think Negril in Jamaica would be perfect for y'all. It offers plenty of accommodations in all price ranges on a beautiful stretch of beach. There would be plenty of places within walking distance to eat and hear music. (Remember that you probably won't be able to rent a car at your age and so will have to walk, cab it, or take public transport once on island.)

Check out www.negril.com. If you and your friends are comfortable in a low-end motel such as Yellow Bird or a low end hotel like Kuyaba, you should have plenty of money left for food & activities. Jamaica is an island that is relatively inexpensive to fly to, compared to other Caribbean islands, and you'll be able to get a nonstop flight out of the NYC area. I hope you and your friends find the perfect spot--and like others have suggested, be sure to find out if any places have age minimums for booking a room.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 06:46 PM

Well, it looks like you all better stay in the U.S. or at least a U.S. territory or you're going to cause some heart palpitations on this board. Please do some more research on Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. They are fantastic destinations and you will not be disappointed.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 07:22 PM

Hey jina no matter what you and your friends decide two words:

COMMON SENSE!!!!!!
Have fun.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 04:48 AM

Since most villas won't rent to those under 21 or 25 without an adult in the group -- and most villas are getting booked up for the highest demand end Feb/March/April break weeks, you might enjoy smaller boutique resorts and inns -- and there are many in Jamaica.
Negril will be a zoo. The best hideaway there will be IDLE-A-WHILE, outside the 'action' areas but easily accessible to them. The TREASURE BEACH AREA on the South Coast of Jamaica -- see the community Web site at www.treasurebeach.net might be a very good option/ It's 2 hours from Negril so you can always go there for a day -- or Thursday late nights at
THE JUNGLE for dancing. And then leave the throngs behind and hie back to tb.
MAR BLUE, with 5 suites and 3 jr.suites
would be a good choice as would JAKE'S in Treasure Beach. Easy air from NYC/Newark. Fares should be posted by now so snap up the good ones quick.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 12:46 AM

Actually, "common sense" is more along the lines of "missypies's" post-- minus the "chaperone" qualifier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -