Solo travel near trinidad & Tobago- Barbados vs Grenada

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm visiting my friend in Trinidad in mid April, I'll be spending one weekend in Trinidad and the following weekend in Tobago (since she's off on weekends). I'd like to travel to a nearby island during the week for a few days and am considering Grenada or Barbados. I welcome any advice on one versus the other with the following considerations:

1. I'll be traveling alone (I'm a 26-year-old female)

2. I'd like a cultural experience (Not just resort)

3. I'm looking for budget friendly travel

4. It'll just be for a few days

And if you have a preference why you favor one or the other.

Thanks!
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 03:04 AM

You can get a cultural experience on both islands, Grenada is less developed and a really beautiful friendly island, Barbados is not touristy at all on the east coast but in general is more developed. Again you can have budget friendly accommodation on both islands esp since after mid April you may see rates coming down. There are B&Bs and apartments for rent.
Maybe look at the travel options since flying from TAB might be limited and you might have to go back to POS, this could influence your choice. Venezuela and Margarita Island are out of the question, pity since they would have been the closest and most interesting.
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 03:55 AM

This is a tough one you'll find cultural experiences though different on both islands. It definitely depends on what additional activities you may be interested in. Barbados offers quite a bit to do, but not sure how nice it would be trying to experience everything in a few days, but at least you'll have plenty to choose from, including good duty-free shopping, great catamaran sailing tours and for cultural experience feel free to just get out and around go down to Bridgetown, a regular local restaurant etc. It really depends on what you prefer, more developed ( Barbados) or quieter options....

All the best in deciding
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 10:34 AM

Barbados is a primer tourist destination.It is well developed and carters primarily to tourist from around the world.

As a solo/single traveler looking for great accommodations while on the island of Barbados that is close to most major attractions, including capital city Bridgetown beaches and more.

Check out

http://www.carmenscondominums.com/So...-for-rent.html
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

I was originally considering Venezuela as well but it seems that flights to there are more expensive. Thanks for the feedback!
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 09:05 AM

Grenada is divine! I love it and feel it's much less touristy than Barbados. Definitely would build in a boat trip to the Tobago Cays/Mayreau (and you'll feel like you're in that tropical desktop background that comes on so many computers). Would choose Grenada vs. Barbados for a solo, cultural experience, personally.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 05:38 AM

I can't comment on Grenada but I think Barbados would be perfect. I am a 26 year old female and just got back from there. I didn't travel solo, but I think you would be fine.

There is plenty of budget accommodation and Barbados has a great public transportation system. They have two types of buses, and vans. They both charge the same ($1 USD) and they will take you all over the island. I traveled in a group, but Barbados felt pretty safe. I didn't feel any less safe than I do at home. As long as you use common sense (and since you are a solo female traveler- avoid dimly lit, sketchy areas at night) you should be ok.

I would stick to the south coast of the island. It is more populated, the accommodation is cheaper, and the public transportation is more accesible (or so I hear).
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

I'm now leaning Grenada but public transportation is an important consideration for me as we'll. Is there a viable transportation in Grenada? I'd rather take public transit or a taxi than rent a car. I live in Brooklyn so I'm used to taking public transportation everywhere.
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 04:00 PM

I always rent a car, it's much easier than getting taxis or trying to get public transportation, which I don't think there is much of.
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 05:07 AM

I have just returned from my 5th vacation in Grenada.

There is good local transportation in Grenada. While they may be referred to as buses they are actually small vans that seat up to 12 passengers. We stay in the Grande Anse area. It costs 2.50 EC (less than $1US) for a 10 minute trip to St. Georges. The 'bus' drops you off at the bus terminal near the cruiseship terminal. From there you can take buses to various parts of the island.

Here is a link to the various types of transportation on/around the island. Under the 'buses' there is a further link outlining the bus numbers and the destination of each.

http://www.grenadaexplorer.com/Transport.htm