Search

snorkeling on grand bahama

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2003, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snorkeling on grand bahama

Hello all,
Me and a couple of buddies are taking a trip to Freeport this Christmas break and we were wondering where some good snorkeling destinations are on the island. Funds are tight so we'll bring our own equipment and we'd like to reach some reef not too far from shore. Also, can the jitney busses get us to and from these places? Thanks a lot ya'll.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 04:25 PM

I never like to recommend snorkeling sites off shore where you must go without a boat. But, you guys sound young and healthy. Still, I would highly recommend a flotation device AND scuba insignia flag attached to it. Surprising how little space a small deflated inner tube takes up in a suitcase. If you rent a car or take a jitney to the east side, you'll see the old Bahamian culture with less urban sprawl. There are beautiful beaches, and you could simply dive in any of them. If you head to north GB, there are very wild mangrove forests you could kayak and snorkel in, and see breeding grounds of fish. The "Fish Farm" is shallow waters off of Bell Channel. In about 12 feet of water, you'll see elkhorn coral with hundreds of snappers and grunts seeking shelter amongst them. Locals feed the fish and they are very friendly...they'll expect you to hand feed them. You'll also see sargeant majors and various other reef fish. I would recommend renting a car and island explore, until you see a neat reef offshore, and go for it. Robert
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Robert, I'll be sure to check out the Fish Farm. The only problem for me is that I'm not old enough to rent a car so I'll be restricted to taxi and jitney. Thanks for your recommendations though.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:32 PM
caribtraveler

Hi. You can snorkel right off the beach at Deadman's Reef in Paradise Cove.
I have NO idea if the buses go there. When we went there 2 weeks ago, we booked through the hotel excursion desk so we got picked up at our hotel.
P.S.: You can rent flotation devices and gear there too.

Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:33 PM
caribtraveler

By the way, Paradise Cove is about 15-20 minutes from Our Lucaya.

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Caribtraveler.