Snorkeling in Saba or Cozumel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2004, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking a trip in May and are deciding between Mexico and St. Martin. Which may get our scuba certification by then but aren't certain. Which area has more amazing snorkeling -- Saba or Cozumel?
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 07:16 AM

Hi Sally, I can't comment on Cozumel, but I live very near Saba. Saba honestly has fabulous diving, but not that many snorkelers as the reefs are very deep.

Hiking is great on Saba, and island is very eco-tourist friendly, but there is no beach to speak of.

I would honestly suggest another Caribbean island for dive certification. Saba is more for experienced divers with the depths that the good diving is at.

On another note, I have honestly heard "no so great" things about dive certification in Mexico, with regards to safety. Whomever you think about getting certified with, be sure that they are PADI qualified.

Perhaps other posters might have even more destination suggestions for your trip that will include everything that you are interested in doing.

Good luck
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 06:18 PM

i know nothing of saba but cozumel has excellent snorkeling. chankanaab park is amazing and not very deep. it' only like $5-10 to get in, very nice. if you take a boat trip the reefs are close to shore and in many places you can snorkel right off the beach
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:19 PM

Sally -

In case it isn't too late: Skip the snorkeling! Get PADI certified and THEN dive Saba.

We recently got open water certified (Oct 04) in Cancun -- Manta Divers. DO NOT GO THERE. They jacked us around in getting our PADI Cert even after they knew we were planning a trip to Saba in Nov. I'm going to be polite and say that their "instruction" and "business savvy" left a bit to be wished for... However, the diving there was wonderful! (I can only imagine how amazing conzumel diving is -- you may wish to consider getting certified in Cancun and diving Cozumel when complete?)

Dove again in St. Martin - which was rather unexciting compared to Cancun.

Saba diving was absolutely incredible, but not for the faint of heart. Very DEEP in many locations. Probably best to have SEVERAL dives under your belt, as it were.

In any case -- good luck and have fun!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 03:40 AM

gidget, glad you enjoyed diving on Saba. I strongly agree that Saban diving is better left to those who have experience and enjoy deeper dives.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 03:48 AM

Good Morning People ! Any of you people know about drift diving ? Starting to research a possible trip to Tobago and they speak about this ? Thanx , Faith , any thoughts on the island are appreciated as well . ( excuse me honing in on the thread )