snorkeling fins a good idea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and I are going to St. John in June. We'll definitely bring masks and snorkels but was wondering if fins are really necessary? They take up a fair bit of room in a suitcase and are sometimes a hassle to lug around. Any opinions?
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:32 PM

Fins are important, but not as important as your mask. I always bring my own equipment, but only because I am hard to fit and like to have my own stuff.

I'd probably just rent if I were you. St John most likely has several places to do so.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:43 PM

Snorkel gear can get expensive when renting. It really depends on how strong a seimmer you are and where you plan to snorkel.
Lots of STJ snorkeling is great right from the beach, fairly close to shore. But if venturing out to Waterlemon Cay, I would want fins.
We always manage to fit ours in and we travel only with carry-ons.
Have fun...
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 03:17 PM

Can you rent just the fins? We're going to St John in June and we'll be bringing our masks and snorkels but we don't have fins.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 03:49 PM

Every place I have ever been you could rent just the fins. Bringing your own mask/snorkel is a good idea. Nothing ruins it faster than a leaky/ill-fitting mask.

I would not recommend trying to snorkel without fins. My husband tried it once and had to head back into shore after a much shorter time than he normally would have stayed out.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 06:45 PM

joangk: You definitely want to swim with fins. You won't get too far without getting tired. If you find it too cumbersome to carry, you could rent them at beaches such as Trunk and Cinnamon, or from the resort either Caneel or Westin. There are also dive shops who rent, but no place really rents for less than about$5/day and if you plan to swim everyday, lugging starts to look good. I lay ours flat on the bottom of the suitcase and just pile everything on top. The funny thing is, we always use our snorkel/fin gear and never end up using half of the clothes we bring. Food for thought.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 07:14 PM

You definitely want fins if you end up snorkeling where there is a current. I bought one of those backpacks from Eddie Bauer that has like the shoe-lace type of strap thingy in front (ok, yeah I know that's really descriptive, LOL) and I strapped them on there and it worked out perfect on our last trip.

Kris
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 03:53 AM

After my first time snorkeling I liked it so much that I purchased my own mask and snorkel to take with me on trips, thinking that I would just use the flippers at whatever destination we picked. However, I have found that most molded plastic fins with and without a hard rubber foot pocket, give me nasty blisters or rub my ankles raw, and these type of fins are the only kind I ever encountered for rental on various islands. So last holiday I asked for a pair of shorter fins that I found in the National Geographic catalogue. They're a few inches shorter than other fins so they're better for packing, they have neoprene foot lining for comfort, and they have "split fin technology" which supposedly helps you get farther faster with less effort. Can't verify that last part 'cause I've not had the chance to try them yet. But the ad copy sure made it sound good!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 05:34 AM

Snorkeling without fins is kind of like brushing your teeth without toothpaste.

Yes, you can do it, but not near as effectively. Of course safty is the real issue here. Get caught in a strong current without fins, and you might be in trouble.

I think they actually pack easy as they are relatively flat. I fit both my wife's & my snorkel equipement in my carry-on, along with a bathing suit, and a few changes of clothes. This way, if my luggage doesn't make it, I'm good for days....
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Pausanias

I'd suggest bringing your own, which will fit better and probably be of better quality. We buy from the local shop so we can try them on. We bought a duffel bag from Costco which has a seperate zipped compartment on the bottom. Fins, masks, snorkel, and mesh bag for carrying all fit in there. On trips where we hike instead, the boots fit in. Couldn't fit both boots and snorkeling gear though.

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:41 AM

I would recommend purchasing fins at a dive shop, along with soled, neophrene "booties". You can lay one fin on the bottom of your suitcase, the other on the top of your belongings, for extra protection. The only reason we get into scuba or snorkeling is to experience the alien world, which exists under the water. Having fins will allow you to dip under, say for 15 feet or more, and stay under longer before surfacing. The soled, neophrene bootees will be handy when wading out on rocky shorelines, for foot protection. With fins, the average snorkeler can go 30 feet under...pretty difficult without fins. Another option is to carry all your fins, snorkles, bootes, and masks as a carry-on. Enjoy the reefs!! Robert
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm off to the dive shop to get a good snorkeling package, including fins!
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 07:17 AM

ejcrowe - Do you still have the product # of those fins you got from National Geographic? I'd like to look into those. Thanks.

Kris
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 07:48 AM

Hi, Kris--I just dug out the box they came in and the sticker on there reads "N973378S" which I assume is National Geo's stock number. If not, I'm sure a quick search on their website will bring them up. Mine are red, about one foot in lenght, with the split fit. I don't recall that there was a color choice from Nat'l Geo. The name brand is Surf Shredder and it's made by U.S. Divers/Aqualung.

I have also seen a similar pair of fins in my Solutions catalog, but they had a choice of royal blue or turquoise fins and they had masks and snorkels to match. At least, I think it was Solutions catalog. It might have been Norm Thompson.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 09:13 AM

Thank you! Can't get a hit on National Geo, but found them at Modell's & Dick's Sporting Goods which we have down the street so I will mosey on over. =) Although that aqua color would be very fashionable. ;-)

Kris
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 10:25 AM

I always pack just my mask and snorkel. I've never had problems renting just fins anywhere. I agree, they take up way too much room in my suitcase.