Snorkeling and Cat Island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2003, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for the most relaxing , secluded and quiet place. From a few posts here we concluded that Cat Island is just what we need. However, snorkeling and swimming in calm warm water are as important to us as taking long walks on white sand beaches without seeing cruise crowds or too many other visitors.

Is this island what we are looking for? Please help us to decide. We would like to find a place where we can return year after year.
Thanks
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 02:40 PM

Cat Island is a wonderful destinations. They have the most beautiful pristine beaches I've ever seen. The island is very laid back and a bit behind the times, which is charming. (they just got electricity about 7 years ago).
Don't be concerned about "too many other visitors", it's more likely you won't see anyone besides the owners/staff.
This is definetly a place to call your home away from home.
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 03:27 PM

Wildflower: if you are looking to get away from it all, enjoy fantastic snorkeling and simply relax, then Cat Island is for you. We had the pleasure of going there for 10 days a couple of years ago, and often reflect on our time spent there. I don't know where you are looking to stay, but I can recommend Hawks Nest Resort & Marina. It is not of the caliber of a Four Seasons, but it is clean, secluded and informal. It only has 12 rooms (or was it 10?), each decorated with white wicker furniture, AC, coffee maker, hair dryer, and TV with built-in VCR's. No TV per se, but you can get a video from the club house. Anyway, I can say in all honesty that when my husband and I were at one of the several beaches on the property, we never saw anyone else. We felt like we were marooned on a deserted island. We rented a car for a few days and had a blast just driving around and stopping at any beach we saw that caught our fancy. That is not to say that Hawks Nest did not meet all our expectations. It did. We just wanted to drive around an explore for a couple of days. The locals are fanstastic, but if you are expecting a wide array of restaurants on the island, forget it. When we were there, there were only about eight, which including the dining at Hawks Nest and Fernandez Bay. There is fantastic snorkeling about 10 yards off shore of the Point House, a house you can rent on the Hawks Nest property. We saw barracuda, parrot fish, angel fish, turtles, etc. It was phenomenal. We've snorkeled in the BVIs, USVIs and elsewhere, and it was the best on Cat Island. The Exuma Sound side of Cat Island, where Hawks Nest and Fernandez Bay, are located, is as smooth as glass. The water was like a bathtub. On the Atlantic side is where it is quiet rough. It is a magical place and one that should be visited now before it gets too built up. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 03:32 PM

Excuse my typo ... meant it is "quite rough." Oh well ... its a good thing I don't earn a living for my typing!
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Tamara and SusanLynne. Now I know that Cat Island is what we are looking for. I checked website for Hawks Nest Resort and it looks very appealing to us and a price is right too.

Tamara, where did you stay?
SusanLynne, did you stay in one of the rooms or the Point House? Would you please describe your room. Beds, bathroom, shower, towels, maid service.
Did you make reservation directly with the resort?

I can't seem to find information about deposit and cancellation policy but I'll call them on Monday, they have a toll free number.
What time of the year did you go? Do you think that the end of March or April is good time to be there or maybe May and June are better months?
How long did you stay?
Did you fly from Miami to Nassau and then to Cat Island or there are some other options?
Did you make a car rental arrangements when you got there or before you arrived on Cat Island?
Did you bring your own snorkeling gear or did you rent from the resort?

I am so happy to read that there are not many restaurants around. Less restaurants less crowds. Did you eat your meals at the resort?
Is it possible to take long walks on a beach right from the resort early in the morning? I love this time of the day alone.
Thank you for all your help
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 04:51 AM

Hi Wildflower! Let's see, we stayed at Hawks Nest for 10 days in October 2000. The weather was beautiful except for one day when it rained. We stayed in one of the rooms, which met our needs. You walk in through the door and there is a large closet on one side. The bathroom was small, but you will not be spending your time in the bathroom. When we were there they had shower curtains, rather than sliding doors and the tub is a shower combination. The room is simple, king size bed, white wicker dresser (six drawers if I recall), and white wicker nightstands on either side with lamps. Tastefully decorated and simple. The rooms are about 60 or so feet from Exuma Sound and each has its own patio with table and chairs. Maid service was impeccable and the towels, if I recall, were Egyptian cotton so very nice. Unlike many places we have stayed in the Caribbean, there was no "musty" smell in the room. The Point House is very, very nice. Beautiful patio that runs the length of the house with fantastically comfortable lounge chairs, BBQ and other amenties. Two bedrooms, each with bath. AC, TV's, big kitchen with white cabinets, dining area and living area (both were in white wicker at the time). We looked inside when we went snorkeling just off the Point House - no one was staying in the House at the time and it was, like everything else on the resort, left unlocked. No rooms keys when we were there. We dealt directly with Jennifer when we made our reservations. As a matter of fact, she helped us arrange air from Nassau. She and Brian - the managers - are extremely helpful. I seem to recall that the air from Nassau to Cat Island was $80 pp, each way. We landed at the "international airport" on the island, not the private airstrip, and Jennifer was there to great us and drive us back to Hawks Nest. There really are very few options to get to Cat Island, unless you have a private boat or are willing to go with one of the supply boats - not recommended. Jennifer helped us get a car rental when we were there. She drove us to the place to pick the car up and away we went. We got the meal plan when we stayed at Hawks Nest and we were very pleased with the quality of food. Dinner is quite the event with appetizer (usually soup or salad, main meal, dessert), believe me, you will not go hungry. Jennifer or Brian will ask what you would like for dinner early on, so if you have any special dietary requirements, let them know in advance. As I said, there are very, very few restaurants. One night, it was only my husband and me and a single traveler at the resort. Jennifer and Brian decided to close the kitchen, we all piled into the back of the resort's pick up truck and they took us to a restaurant (very, very casual and primarily for locals - but some of the best macaroni and cheese I have ever had and the fried chicken is outstanding!) on top of a hill with a fantastic view of Exuma Sound. Of course we did not pay because we had already paid for the meal plan. I tell you that to relay just how casual the place is. Another example is one other night it was just my husband and I, and Brian and Jennifer served us our meal having given the staff a night off. It's just that kind of place. You can help yourself to the bar in the clubhouse (honor system). It's a real relaxed, laid back place where there is no such thing as a clock or schedule. I would recommend you get the meal plan because unless you have a car, you are really, really far away from any other dining choices. We did have lunch one day at Fernandez Bay, which looked very nice, but was much more crowded. There are several beaches at Hawks Nest. One, at low tide, you can walk almost a mile out and look for sand dollars in the sand bars. Others are smaller and more intimate. All have huts for protection from the sun, with chairs and lounges. The staff will pack you a picnic lunch if you like. You can walk for hours along the resort shoreline heading past some private home. But if you go in another direction, not every inch is sand. There are some flat rock areas, but those are easily navigated and they are fun to investigate and see what the sea has revealed. Oh yeah, ask Jennifer and Brian to tell you where the "natural jacuzzi" is - talk about fun! If you are accustomed to the Four Seasons style of resort, then Hawks Nest is not for you. But if you are casual, flexible and just seeking relaxation and solitude, then Hawks Nest in the place. Just so you know, when we were there the pool was not built, so I don't know if this changed the feel of the resort any. I don't think it would have. Hope this was helpful. If I can be of further help, give me a shout.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

SusanLynne, thank you for answering all my questions. Your post was very helpful. Now, all I have to do is figure out when can we go. Your description of the Point House helped us to decide that this is where we would like to stay. Do we need to bring our own flash light to get to the Point after dark? Would you recommend bringing our snorkeling gear?

I realized that because of people like you I keep returning to this forum. Thank you again, SusanLynne.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 04:25 PM

My pleasure to help out. I just think that Cat Island is a true gem and worth the effort to get there. Check with Hawks Nest about a flashlight, I can't imagine that they wouldn't have one in the Point House for your use. We brought our own snorkel equipment only because I have a prescription lens and with my horrible eyes a regular lens just won't cut it. Also, if you decide to use the Point House, I think Jennifer and Brian will make arrangements to stock up on food that you like so that you don't have to get the meal plan. Warning! There are very, very, very few places to buy food, so don't expect any major grocery store chains like we have in the US. I am thrilled that you will be visiting Cat Island. It's a special place. We fell so in love with it that we are still considering buying some land there for retirement. Again, if I can be of help, give me a shout!
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

SusanLynne, we are going!
The Point House is available on those dates in April we would like to go. We called this morning and talked with Randy.
As to making our meals we like to fix our own simple breakfasts and have dinners at the resort. I will let you know about our experience there but it won?t happen for many months.
Thank you for your generous posts.

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 05:59 AM

Yahoo!!! Yippee!!! I am psyched for you, I really am. I think you will find Cat Island the most relaxing place you can go. You won't be tripping over people, or having to jockey around for a place on the beach. The Point House is great, and to tan you don't even have to leave the comfort of your deck! The snorkeling is fantastic there. The House itself appeared very comfortable and the kitchen/living and dining areas were so cheerful and bright. Don't worry about dressing for dinner or dressing up at all around Hawks Nest or the island. Very casual is the tone of this island and I think you have made a wise choice. Please make sure you post a report upon your return! Happy travels!
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you SusanLynne for all your help and I will post my report in the end of April. Meanwhile, can you share with me what airlines did you use. What was your experience with the airport in Nassau and your connecting flight to Cat Island?
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 10:46 AM

We flew from Boston to Miami, Miami to Nassua on American/American Eagle. The flight from Nassau to Cat Island was on a chartered flight, which Brian and Jennifer arranged. We took a cab from the international airport in Nassau to a much smaller "airport," a hangar really, to get our plane to Cat Island. The pilot's name was Reggie and the plane was a 10-seater. On the way to Cat Island it was only my husband and I in the plane. On the way back from Cat Island to Nassau, all 10 seats were occupied - in fact my husband ended up sitting in the co-pilot's seat. What a thrill for him! Anyway, Jennifer and Brian can help you with the flight from Nassau. I am not sure if there are flights from Miami to Cat Island. It's not easy arranging the logistics, but worth the effort. Honestly, do not hesitate to ask the Hawks Nest people (Brian or Jennifer or the co-managers) for help in getting you there! Goodness only knows, I think I tied up their toll free number for a good month before we got everything settled!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, we will be flying from Albany, NY and hope to find the best and the least painless way to travel to Cat Island. From the website I learned there is a direct flight from Fort Lauderdale to Cat Island on Lynx Air. Ever heard of them? We never did and we travel a lot.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:48 AM

I've flown Lynx Air to Grand Turk, and for the most part it was a fine experience. However, a misunderstanding of the departure time of my return (once-a-week) flight -- which was Lynx's fault -- led us to miss the flight and led to an epic (and expensive) return trip home via other airlines. Thank god for Mastercard and trip insurance!

We are going to Cat Island in November (Fernandez Bay Village) and, at their suggestion, we will fly Cat Island Air from Nassau. We will fly to Nassau the night before via American Airlines. We haven't booked the Cat Island leg yet, because they don't take reservations more than a month out.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 12:40 PM

Yes, I've heard of Lynx Air, and in fact we took it to Grand Cayman one year as well!!! I didn't have a problem with it, but I would not want to experience what Callaloo did! Have the Hawks Nest team tell you about other flying options, such as a charter flight. Callaloo, I hope you have a wonderful time on Cat Island in November. We ate lunch one day at Fernandez Bay and thought its beach stunning and our lunch was good as well! Again, have a great time. Wildflower, the Hawks Nest people have a plethora of knowledge so don't be shy about picking their brains on how to get there!
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both
We are working on all details right now
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 01:31 PM

Please keep us abreast of your plans. However, I am most anxious to read your trip report. Alas, I must wait months and months ...
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

SusanLynne, I will do that
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Our Continental flight is scheduled to arrive in Nassau at 3:45 pm. Do you think we should stay overnight in Nassau or continue to Cat Island?
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 07:46 PM

I would stay overnight in Nassau. Unless things have changed on Cat Island, the runways do not have lights. Subsequently, planes cannot land in the dark. If your flight from Nassau or even your originating departure gate is late, for whatever reason, you would have to spend the night in Nassau anyway. This way, if your plane is late arriving into Nassau, you don't have to rush or panic. You know your flight is the next day to Cat Island!!! And while it is not my favorite, there could be worse places to spend a night than Nassau. Food for thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -