Reload this Page >

Snorkeling advice please

Search

Snorkeling advice please

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2000, 03:05 PM
Hope

Snorkeling advice please

<BR>We've only done enough snorkeling to whet our appetites. We are going to purchase our own gear thanks to helpful posts here. <BR> <BR>I know to be respectful of the coral, etc. but can you fill us in on things to watch out for? Will baracuda harm humans? Do sting rays sting? What critters do we need to be extra careful around? <BR> <BR>Recommended reading would be nice too. I love this board & it's helpful people. <BR> <BR>Thank you, <BR>Hope

Old Sep 9th, 2000, 04:45 PM
jj

Baracuda will not harm you, you would be in my opinion lucky to see any1 Don't step on anystingrays or touch their stingers. Don't poke your fingers into any holes(moray eels bite), or step on black sea urchins, wear a lite wetsuit to protect your skin from any red fire coral or other coral scrapings. Most important- DON'T STEP ON OR BREAK OFF THE CORAL. Have fun.

Old Sep 10th, 2000, 05:02 AM
joan

...have been snorkelling for many years, here's my random thoughts: This year, in Eleuthera, we snorkelled in several spots. Due to the recent hurricane (I guess) did not see lots of fish, but every time we turned around, there was a barracuda. They're scary because by the time you see them, they've already been watching you for awhile! I do think they are harmless, though. Disagree with the above poster re wetsuits. Wear as little as possible! Bring disposable underwater camera. Put sunscreen on your back. Don't touch anything, except maybe starfish or conch shells. And don't take anything (obvious). Also, I have found, the slower you go the more you see (kind of like life in general). Hanging out in the grassy area of Tortola, saw my first seahorse in the wild. But the tiny stuff takes lots of patience! And creatures like octopus and bottom dweller fish are well camouflaged and take a little staring. Sting rays are a big issue where I live (Fla). They can only sting you if you actually step on them. Not a danger to flipper-clad swimmers. Take off your shiny jewelry, and try not to snorkel in the early morning or dusk (feeding time!). We have a field guide to Caribbean fishes we like to bring to identify the critters. All this talk is giving me cabin fever...gotta go check the airfare south! <BR> <BR>Enjoy! <BR>Joan

Old Sep 10th, 2000, 06:40 AM
Robert

Hope; Good idea to purchase quality snorkeling equipment. Visit a dive shop and purchase masks, and try them on for fit. Get the de-fogger as well. My wife and I have never, I repeat never, have snorkeled or dove off of Eleuthera, Nassau, Abaco, Exuma, the Florida Keys, BVI,St. Croix or San Salvador without seeing barracuda. In fact, I no longer enjoy diving w/o having them around. Very curious and follow you like a dog. They do look scarry, but aren't. The southern and Caribean Sting Rays will not harm you, but "jj's" suggestions are good ones. Also, take off shiny jewelry, watches, etc. If you see a shark enter the area, don't fret and gradually leave if it doesn't. We dove the Lost Blue Hole with Bahama Divers and passed over 45+ Caribbean Reef Sharks while descending into the hole. They all passed us, exiting out because we distrubed them. Some briefly paused to look at us, but could care less. They glided 80 feet above us on the surface until we ascended back to the dive boat, and all of them glided back to the hole, with 7-9 footers passing within a few feet of me. Marine life is non-aggressive, save some shark species in the Pacific ocean, and are easily frightened. If you come across a ray, shuffle your fins and the sand, and they'll take off. Be cautious of the jelly fish, portugese man-of-war, and sea anenomes. Be able to identify species of the Scorpion Fish family, such as the zebra fish, scorpion fish and stone fish. All have venemous spines, and some blend in perfectly with the corals. Lastly, do not spear fish, because the few barracuda and shark attacks documented were from people spear fishing, and having no idea what the techniques to use for their own personal safety. A docile Caribean Reef Shark had attacked a diver off of Abaco, because of the bleeding, vibrating wounded fish at the end of his spear. They go after the fish, but can't tell where the fish ends and your forearm begins! Robert

Old Sep 10th, 2000, 06:48 AM
Barbara

and please,please, do not touch or stand on or break off any coral. all coral reefs everywhere are extremely fragile and many inexperienced or uncaring snorkelers cause serious damage.

Old Sep 10th, 2000, 11:38 AM
Ray Snow

You have already received a lot of excellent advice but here is my additional 2-cents worth. You may want to consider buying a waterproof snorkel when you purchase your equipment. It costs a little more but is well worth the added convenience. Of course, you will get no air underwater but you don't have to clear your snorkel after you break the surface, which is one less thing to worry about. Barracuda are awesome looking fish to watch and they almost never are a threat to humans. They will attack you, however, if they perceive you to be a threat or if you harass them. The tip about not going snorkeling real early or real late was a very good one, especially concerning barracuda because they have poor eyesight anyway. And I believe it is important to pace yourself when snorkeling. Take it slow and easy. You can go farther and see more that way. Know your limitations and don't exceed them by going out too far and then not have the stamina to return to shore. Try not to snorkel alone. While visiting St. John this past June, my wife and I arrived at Leinster Bay while paramedics tried in vain to revive a 40 year old man who had lost consciousness and taken in a lot of water while snorkeling back to shore from Waterlemon Cay. He had drowned apparently because he did not know his physcial limitations. Snorkeling is my favorite "sport" but using proper caution makes it a safe and fun exercise.

Old Sep 10th, 2000, 04:02 PM
Cheri

To be brief, don't touch anything or stick your hands in holes...take nothing but pictures and memories and leave nothing but bubbles.

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 06:10 AM
SnorkQueen

I recommend wearing a thin bodysuit to protect from sun exposure and other potential problems, such as stinging jellyfish. Sunburn is the most common injury resulting from snorkelling I see. Women in particular should be very careful about sunscreening the upper backs of their legs where the bathing suit ends or should wear shorts instead of bathing suit bottoms.

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 09:28 AM
Trish

I just got back from St. John (and that swim back from Waterlemon Cay is a doozie!) We took small boards to float on. I'm not sure what to call them, they are like a small wakeboard that you can put under your chest. I'm not a strong swimmer and the board allowed me to snorkle much longer than would be possible without it. I too may have drown swimming back from Waterlemon! Also, I appreciated having swim shoes as getting in and out of the water on rocks can be quite uncomfortable! In St. John we saw barracuda, nurse shark, sting ray, star fish, just to name a few!

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 09:41 AM
Louis

If you really plan to spend any time in the water, by all means per the last post wear skin cover. The protection from sun on the backs of arms and legs is necessary. Also, it will protect you from moon jelly fish and fire coral. Neither particularly dangerous but the stings can be unpleasant. You can well run into new hatches of jelly fish. In Australia men wear patty hose for jelly fish protection. You can buy nylon suits or years ago we wore turtle neck long sleeve Tee shirts and dancer's tights. This might look strange but many beet red people have said the next day - I see why you wear them. We also wear tropical dive gloves or you can use a light weight pair of garden gloves to save money. There are places in the BVI where the surge will push you up against the rocks. The gloves will allow yourself to push off rocks -- but never touch coral.

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 11:44 AM
Vince

we have been snorkeling for about seven years throughout most of the Bahamas, Bonair, Aruba, Hawaii, USVI, etc. We always wear shorty wet suits. besides protecting you from the sun, they will keep you buoyant. I am not a great swimmer so I wear a special vest that I bought so I can rest if I want to. you definitely need to get your own equipment and my mask even has prescription lenses. our hobby is snorkeling and underwater photography and it has been a wonderful experience for us. Vince