Snorkel trips at Biras Creek

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Snorkel trips at Biras Creek

I've read that Biras has guided snorkel trips a couple times a week. Are these included in the price? I saw they have trips to the Baths, etc, but just wondering if they do something complimentary as well.

Also, does anyone know how much they charge for the trips to Anegada, the Baths, etc?
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 05:54 PM
ExpertTripPlanner

We were just there in February/March. They offer three complementary (2+ hour) snorkeling trips per week: Monday, Wednesday, Friday. If the seas are not too rough, it is well worth it. Shawn, the young skipper/guide, is a great guy!

We took the trip to the Baths (was it $60 per person? I can't remember...), which was a highlight, because they get you there before the crowds, and you leave just as the crowds arrive! I actually enjoyed the snorkeling in Devil's Bay (next to the Baths) the most. Short stop in Spanish Town (waste of time, in my opinion), but, overall, a good half-day trip. You're back in time to catch the great lunch barbecue on the beach.

We were so hoping to go to Anegada, and signed up for the once-weekly (Friday) trip when we arrived. I think it was $90 per person. Unfortunately, only one other couple signed up... they need a minimum of six to run the tour, otherwise you split the cost of $900 for the day. We opted out, and will get to Anegada another day. Suggestion- if you want to go to Anegada, work the crowd from the moment you arrive, so that you get enough people to sign up.

Biras is first class, low-keep, and top-notch all the way. I cannot say enough good things about the excursions and our overall experience!

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 09:29 AM

We went about 5 years ago - Biras is AWESOME!!!! We did the Anegada trip and had a great time. I can't remember the price but I remember we thought it was worth it. The lobster was great and the snorkeling was fantastic. I've read other places that something has happened to the reef in that area in recent years but no first hand knowledge of that. Also, we did some great snorkeling with our Boston Whaler - just found some cool reefs and dropped anchor. You will LOVE Biras, I'm so jealous....
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info. Biras actually emailed a list of all the trips with details and prices. I think we're ready to book for June!

We're going to book an oceanfront room - do you have any thoughts on one I can request that is the most private?
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 12:39 PM

We were at Biras in February also. We were traveling on Friday so we did the trip to Anegada with the Bitter End. Cost was $100.00 per person including the lobster lunch at the Big Bamboo. Worth every penny, Loblolly Bay beach is stunning.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 04:01 PM
owa

Scoopy,
We will be at Biras Creek starting 5 May. From my research, I have decided to take the Tortola ferry (stops in VG) to Anegada for the day. We will rent a jeep, explore, and snorkel. This will give us a long day. I also plan to rent a jeep for the day to explore VG. I'll write a report when we return with my thoughts on the trip. Owa

PS. I've already decided I have done something wrong. We only have three full days on Tortola. If I had to do it over, I'd stay for at least five in order to see some of the other islands. Like JVD.

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 05:18 PM
ExpertTripPlanner

OWA, you can't go wrong in the BVI!

Scoopy. re: Oceanfront room privacy. Most have a lot of privacy; might be best to call them and ask what they think, based on availability. I did my research and made a specific request nearly a year in advance!

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 07:22 AM

owa; I to am looking forward to your report on Biras Creek relative to snorkeling vs. Caneel, Grand Cayman, Bonaire, Hawaii (Big Island) if you've visited most or all of them in past 3-4 years. Someone above said Anegada was fantastic 5 years ago and I am in 95+% in agreement with them. The bleaching from warming waters really started 3 years ago, pollution from ships started a long time ago and building waste going into the water the past 5+ years with over-building and hurricanes the past 5 tears damage some coral general down to 10 feet. That is why the diving in 50-80 ft. is still quite good.
The 3 time a week trips usually ran 90 minutes and a few times 2 hrs. The only decent snorkel that Shawn took us to with pretty healthy coral was Oil Nut Bay, though choppy water that day but good, in 4 complimentary trips. The others had coral that was 60-70% dying or dead coral with a few variety of fish, a few schools of blue tangs, they survive on almost anything and no interesting sea anenomes, unfortunately.
The rooms are above average the food at dinner is very good,breakfast pretty good and most buffet lunches at the beach were fair. The walks between rooms and beach and dining and tennis can be long but they provide new bikes if you are strong legged or you can rent a golf cart. They were just getting the carts when we left in mid-Dec. though they assurred us everything would be finished by our arrival on Dec.3rd.
I await your report.