Search

Single Lady in Carib

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single Lady in Carib

Help. I want to go on a 5-7 day vacation in the carribean by myself. Priorities are beach, relaxing, spa would be great, and sight seeing in lush surroundings - mountains if possible... I'm flying out of Raleigh Durham and I want to go in late May, early June. Don't want to be in a place with all couples or a pick up place - just rest and relaxation and fun. What Island would you choose and why? Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 06:47 PM

Why choose one island when you could visit many? Check out Windjammer.com for great sailboat cruises in various areas of the Caribbean. It's a fun way to see a few cool islands, meet some people and spend as much or as little time on your own as you want. Just a thought. : We had fun! Trish
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 03:49 AM

Hi.

We live in Raleigh and travel to the Caribbean frequently, so I would suggest someplace you can get to without a long travel time so you can get out on the beach relaxing the first day!

Here are some places you can leave from RDU for and be sitting by the pool looking at a stunning beach, with a cold drink by noon:

Providenciales in the Turks and Caicos

Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Isla Mujeres in Mexico

BUT, you said you wanted lush and mountainous, and those aren't. Those places take a little longer to get to due to their location in the islands.

Easy from RDU is Jamaica.

The following are what you want but can take almost/an entire day to get to from RDU due to flights: Nevis, Grenada, Dominica and St Lucia. (Same goes for the trip back.)

Since you are going during the off-season, you should have no problem with crowds and can just kick back and have a quiet time by yourself - sounds great!
Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for this. Been doing lots of research and Jamaica looks like the best. Ever been there? How about to Port Antonio?
Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:04 PM

I'm traveling by myself with the same priorities you have. I choose Providenciales for several reasons. It has beautiful beaches where I can take long walks. The crime rate is low and the people are very friendly. There's enough things to do when I don't want to relax but not enough things where I would feel like I was missing out on something if I didn't go. There's wonderful restaurants with fresh seafood and beautiful views. I felt I got a good deal on a studio at the Alexandra Resort with a promise to listen to a 50 minute presentation. The suites all have porches with ocean views. Hope this helps.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:06 PM

I've been to Jamaica and loved it! I wouldn't feel safe going there as a single woman though.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:53 PM

If you are thinking of going to Jamaica then check out Negril. To get ideas about safety I would suggest posting at www.negril.com or www.tropictravelonline.com.
I have seen several posts about traveling alone. We are going to Negril in late May & are flying out of Memphis. There are many places to stay that would be ok for a single woman. They have the cliffs, great beach & tropical scenery.

Have a great time wherever you go.
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:38 AM

If you go to Jamaica as a single woman travelling alone behave as you would anywhere travelling alone...it should be fine - especially if you go to Negril where you can move up and down the beach and (as anywhere in the Caribbean) you will get some oogling...but nothing a quick smile and moving along wont handle.

Jamaica is a lovely island with lots of great tours you can go on and feel you have seen the island but not feel vulnerable.
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:40 AM

Wait - dare I say this - I don't know what kind of traveller looking for fun you are but - there are the Hedonism properties which are BIG fun but obviously will include lots of "ppick up behavoiur" but I have heard that you can chose a "prude package" that would allow you the maximum fun without as much of the "picking up"...??? err...maybe not. Just a thought!