silly question 'bout passports...

Dec 9th, 2001, 07:59 PM
Bigshow

silly question 'bout passports...

I know this may seem like a dumb question to some of ya' all, but I'm clueless. Where does one get a passport?

Dec 9th, 2001, 08:37 PM

Dec 9th, 2001, 09:25 PM
tweedy

If you have lots of time before your trip you can apply to your local post office. They have all the appropriate forms. I think it takes something like 6 weeks to get the passport sent to you.

If your trip is sooner than that you can get a passport issued in one day by visiting a passport office in alot of major cities. You must have a airline ticket with you when you go and all the right info, pictures, birth certificate, marriage liscense, drivers liscense and a credit card helps as well.

You can probably find out more in a local phone book if there is an office near you.

Dec 10th, 2001, 04:10 AM
Bill

I got mine at the local DMV.

Dec 10th, 2001, 02:25 PM
Bigshow

thanks everyone...i'm leaving for jamaica in Jan. and thought it might be easier to take a passport then anything else.

Dec 10th, 2001, 05:32 PM
juli

Bigshow:

Just be careful how close you apply for your passport. If you dont use the rush service you need to send your birth certificate away with your application and then you wont have one if it doesnt arrive in time. They dont guarentee delivery in any amount of time, it depends on how many people are applying with you.
Like Tweedy said there are offices in major cities where you can make an appt. and have it done in one day, but it will cost extra.

Dec 11th, 2001, 07:04 PM
Johm

Jan.?? yes thats cutting it close..we got ours at the local post office and took about 6 weeks

Dec 28th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Norma

I got mine at the local court house. They take your picture and everything. I paid for rush servie and had it back in 6 days. I would never leave the country without one.

Dec 28th, 2001, 12:59 PM
ejc

IF YOU'RE A MEMBER OF AAA; GIVE THEM A TRY.

Jan 1st, 2002, 06:04 PM
Lisa

We are also going to Jamacia at the end of January. I expedited mine so I will get it in about 10 days. My fiance will need to one-day ship it. He will get his in about three days. Ask questions so you will know what is best for you.

Jan 2nd, 2002, 01:53 AM

ttt

Jan 2nd, 2002, 06:44 AM
Another Inquiry

Regarding Jamaica, Lonely Planet says,

"US and Canadian citizens do not need passports for visits up to six months."
(http://lonelyplanet.com/destinations/caribbean/jamaica/printable.htm)

and unlike the entries for several other Carib. islands which state that a copy of birth-certificate w/ raised-seal together w/ a valid, gov't. issued photo I.D., such as a driver's license are required in lieu of a passport, it does not say so for Jamaica, though I can't imagine them not requiring them.

Are islands that previously required only a birth cert. and photo i.d. now requiring an actual passport b/c of heightened security after Sept. 11?