Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Should we take a day trip to Virgin Gorda?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 11:31 AM
shawn

My wife and I will be in Tortola for three nights in March. It is a short time but we will continue our trip to Puerto Rico for another 4 nights. I am not sure if it is a good idea to take the time and go to Virgin Gorda for a day trip. Since we will not have much time in the BVI, would it be wiser just to stay on Tortola? Are the two islands very similar with the better beaches on Tortola? Maybe we should take a dive trip for an afternoon and see Virgin Gorda with a dive captain? Any suggestions would be great since we do not want to be rushed but do not want to miss out on something wonderful. Any advice is appreciated

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 12:37 PM
joel

Been to both a number of times. The beaches on VG are generally regarded as better for swimming. But for visual appeal and sunning, the Tortolan beaches are better. The scenery is more exotic, more hidden bays, etc. So take your pick. You might be lured to VG by a tour to The Baths. Frankly, I'd avoid that. It's the most touristy place in the BVI and is always over-crowded, although the boulders there would otherwise be worth the trip. <BR>A good option if you like snorkeling would be to take the Fly BVI day trip over to Anegada. Anegada is a reef island totally surrounded by coral reefs you can wade out to. Fly BVI flies you there and back, provides taxi, food, everything. Most excellent. <BR>Another option is to catch the ferry from Road Town or West End over to St. John or St. Thomas. About 40 minutes. Ferry schedule is very good (see bviwelcome.com for link to ferries' sites. As to St. Thomas, the ferry drops you within immediate walking distance of fabulous jewelry buys. The ferry to St. John puts you right where you can take a tour of the national park. Both are worthwhile. Have fun! <BR>

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 08:58 AM
mike mchugh

go see the baths

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 05:24 PM
Karen

Definately take a trip to Virgin Gorda! Not only are the beaches great for sunning and swimming, the beaches on Tortola can't begin to compete with those on the other BVI's. Angenda is a definate good idea too - and have a lobster dinner! But, if you want to do the Baths, go early in the morn, before the cruisers and day trippers arrive, or take the path behind the Baths and just a short hike is Devil's Bay ... same scenery, no vendors and less people ... the way the Baths used to be! But don't tell, we don't want it to wind up being another placed ruined by overuse!

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 08:31 PM
gary taylor

Tortola has some great beaches, don't miss Cane Garden Bay, but a trip to The Baths on Virgin Gorda is worth checking out. <BR> <BR>Do it early in the day before other day trippers and possible cruise ship passengers get there, and it's much better on good weather days as opposed to storm days that kick up the view, but a visit to the Baths is similar to a visit to Stonehenge --- WOW! <BR> <BR>You'll enjoy your BVI's visit, no matter. <BR> <BR>p.s. Have a Hurricane at Pussers for us. <BR> <BR>Gary and Mary Ann