Reload this Page >

should we stay or should we go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 10:00 AM
Mary

I am so concerned with the Sept. attack,that I really do not know whether I should keep my paid trip to Aruba the beginning of November or not. I do not want to have my freedom taken away,but, I also do not want to be a fool and leave the country if we are to be at war. There must be many of you out there planning a trip, as I. I see the information that so many people are cancelling their carribean trips now..what to do,maybe I am being stupid,and cancel like the rest of them,any advice would be assuring,my thanks,Mary

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Anibel

Mary, <BR>I share your concern but we decided to go ahead with our plans for a Turks and Caicos trip at the end of October to Beaches.....then the news came last night about the President deploying troops to the Gulf area. Now, I am concerned and also donot know what to do. Just didn't expect that type of reaction from our gov't so quickly. We have paid in full and i may call my agent to see if we have options but i don't think we can get out of this one. May just have to wait and see and take the financial loss in the end. Good luck with your decision, i know what you are going through!

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 10:32 AM
Eva

This is a decision that only you can make. My husband and I have decided that we will take our planned trip to the Abacos at the beginning of November, while my sister (who lives in NYC and can really use the break) has decided to postpone her trip the same week to Tobago. Of course, she would have been bringing her baby daughter with her, and when you are responsible for a small person, the calculus is entirely different. In our case, we figured (a) its good for the economies of both the US and the Bahamas if we go as planned; (b) we really need the break; (c) we are traveling to a familiar (to us) and friendly place where we know that we can take care of ourselves (and would be taken care of) should something bad happen; and (d) the physical distance from the US to the Bahamas is not that great (though the psychological distance is HUGE). <BR> <BR>Also, should we find on the day of departure that this trip is just not do-able, we are perfectly willing to lose the money we've paid for the trip. I never like to commit so many dollars to travel that I can't afford to lose them. <BR> <BR>Good luck deciding.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 10:41 AM
liveyour life

So what exactly are you worried about??? Do you think the carribean will be atacked? Do you think your plane will be hijacked? Do you think the terrorists will bomb your house while your away? Or do you want to enlist and your afraid you'll miss your call up date? What's even more amazing is that you'll base your decision on advise from total strangers on a message board. With no offence intended either live your life . . . or get one.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 10:51 AM
Cissy

Mary: We've had a trip planned to Barbados for months, scheduled to leave Oct. 11. We've tried to discuss all the pros and cons but you just can't cover everything there is to "happen" when traveling now. At this point in time, we're still going! We actually would have been able to get out of it fairly cheaply IF we had canceled by today, especially with the resort. (21 days notice) It's a tough call and it depends on what kind of day I'm having as to exactly how I feel about it. I would be curious to hear about those that may have traveled to the Caribbean within the last day or two. I think I'll post something within a week or so to see if I can get responses from those that got on the plane and actually went. According to one source I have, American Airlines flights to the Caribbean aren't being canceled very quickly...there about the only ones that aren't. We need this vacation badly and have planned it with great care. God willing, we'll take our vacation.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 11:14 AM
sarah

The author above, "bkaluski" should relax. Mary is simply posting a message looking to "bounce her thoughts" off of other people. She did not claim to be making her decision totally based on the responders' opinions. Given everything that's happened, "bkaluski" should be a little less quick to judge. <BR> <BR>Anyhow, Mary, I'm in the same boat as you. We're supposed to leave for the Carribean on Saturday morning and we're still "up in the air" (pardon the pun). I think we're just going to go to the airport, see how we feel, see how thorough the security checks are, and literally make the final decision when they call us for boarding. Best of luck with your decision.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Mike

I understand peoples concern, and this forum is a great place to share ideas. But I don't think you should cancel any plans to normal tourist destinations, unless you are truly terrified of flying now, in which case you wouldn't have much fun. The fact is, it's safer now than ever before with the heightened security. We've had bombings throughout the last decade, did you cancel your vacation after the Oklahoma City bombing? Even if action is taken with troops in the Gulf area, that will not likely affect air travel here. Maybe get good travel insurance (read the fine print first, you might not be able to cancel on a whim). And the less connections for your flight plan the better, since lengthier procedures in the airports could make it harder to make your connections. I'm going ahead and making plans, currently looking at all the good deals out there now. I hate to watch the economy spiral downward because a lot of people are suddenly overreacting and paralyzed. Statistically you're much more likely to get hurt in a car accident than going on a flight now. You can track flights on the airline web sites by putting in the flight number, and as you will see, they are going and coming daily without any problems.

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 04:03 PM
Lisa

I agree with Mike. I can also understand that all the reporting can make anyone weary of flying. I was on vacation when the WTC tragedy happened. The day we flew back home I had my reservations but I actually felt more secure than my flight out. A woman who's seat had been changed removed her carry-on luggage from the upper compartment as the plane was descending for landing. Today, that would not be allowed.

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 08:54 PM
Erica

Mary, I can totally understand your concerns as I am currently going through the same dilemma. My fiance and I had a trip planned to Tahiti and Bora Bora for October and just cancelled it (without losing money) due to the fact that we do not want to be so far away from home god for bid anything happens. Also, my fiance doesn't want to fly for 14 hours and "be nervous the entire time". Therefore, we are currently looking for maybe something a little closer or debating just to wait and take the honeymoon later. Who knows. Every minute I have a different viewpoint of what we should do. Good luck, and write back and let me know what you decide. Take care

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 03:11 AM
Joel

To be concerned is only natural. While I don't presume to have the answer, I've flown twice since the tragedy. My reasoning is that, first, I think I have a responsibility to not give in to fear, thus let the terrorists win by default. Second, I think my fear is unwarranted in the sense that it is far, far more likely that I'll die driving to work than by becoming a terrorist victim, despite the events of this month. <BR>I lived in France for a few years in the late 80's at a time when the French were subject to numerous terrorist bombings. The threat to them was significant, although less dramatic. In true Gallic fashion, they shrugged their shoulders and went on with things. <BR>Also, I would guess that there will be some, maybe many, more incidents in the U.S.; but I believe that terrorists will not set a pattern of always going after airplanes. The terror "value" is in making every phase of American life full of terror. Were I you, Mary, I would hang in there. The airplane is still safer than your Honda or Chevy.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 03:26 AM
joan

Mary, I can't improve on Joel's post. Bottom line: you go, girl! <BR> <BR>(I'm going too, two different trips planned for Nov. Enjoy life!)

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 05:53 AM
Kathleen

Being a New Yorker who witnessed the events of Sept. 11 firsthand, I would encourage anyone who has travel plans to keep them and enjoy their trip. I personally would love to get away right now but can't because my husband has been out of work for 6 months. This country needs us all to keep going and do whatever we can to keep the economy strong.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 09:09 AM
Kim

Hi, <BR>As a Canadian looking on at this conversation, I am not really qualified to tell you what to do. <BR>While we were not faced with the same tragedy first hand, we FELT it with the same heartache, and have been trying to help where ever possible to the relief efforts until we are called upon for something more. <BR>Me? I would go. Despite the recent events, you NEED to go...to prove that your can carry on with some normalcy, and also to help your fellow Americans in the airline industry who are holding onto their jobs by a thread. <BR>It is my hope that you (all) fare well in the months - or years - ahead while this is being reconciled. <BR>Good luck, <BR>Kim