Reload this Page >

Sept. 11th Observance On GC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 08:25 AM
Sipry

We are leaving for 10 days on GC tomorrow, Sept. 4th. Our trip was booked before Sept. 11th last year. Being an American, I am very much interested in finding out if there might be any type of observance being planned on GC - for Americans who find themselves away from home on that day - as well as anyone else who might want to acknowledge that day. If I was home on the 11th, I would definitely be going to some sort of observance since that day will always be a day of sadness and reflection for me. Sipry

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 08:36 AM
Marni

Just goes to show how different we all are. I'm traveling this week so that I am NOT in NYC for the observance. I've been in mourning for a year, and I'm sick of the commercial/political bombardment. Living in NY is like living in a Funeral Home. I'm heading to the Caribbean to escape.<BR>

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 08:49 AM
yousaid

ditto

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 08:51 AM
Sipry

Marni, I completely understand how you feel. I don't live in NY - quite far from it actually. My husband will probably feel the way you do. I just wanted to know if there was something if we wanted to go. I have family who live in NY and I understand that the feeling there by people who have lived through this is quite different from others. The bottom line is that we should all be able to spend that day doing what is right for us individually - without guilt. Hope you have a wonderful trip - is this your first time on GC? We've been going for quite some time and if you have any questions, just ask away. Sipry

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 09:17 AM
E.D.

Sipry, Having been stranded on Grand Cayman last year for a while after Sept 11 I feel sure that based on their reaction to the event they will have some sort of organized get together.<BR><BR>The island got together and the fireman raised money. The local grocery stores donated Gatorade, water, ice, cups to pass out at the airport (it was very hot with the mass amount of people trying to leave that Saturday-the first day "out"). I was very glad to leave and have a funny story about how we actually got off the island that day. Everyone on the island was wonderful and expressed sympathy to our Country. Have a pleasant and safe trip, E.D.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 09:58 AM
Marni

Sipry.. I wasn't trying to negate your feeling, just pointing out how we all look for something different in life (and travel).<BR>As for GC.. I've been there a couple of times, we are actually heading to Cayman Brac for some scuba diving. Thanks for the offer.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 09:59 AM
Sipry

E.D.: Boy, if I had to be stranded somewhere, Cayman would be my pick! We have always found the people on GC to be extremely friendly toward Americans. I would love to hear your funny story about how you got home. Sipry

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 10:05 AM
Sipry

Marni, I'm sorry - I didnt' mean to imply at all that you were negating my feeling. If I came across in that way, please know that it wasn't meant that way. Have a great time on Cayman Brac. Sipry