Seeking Alternative to Atlantis-

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I, two boys (15 and 10) looking to experience clear blue/green waters, snorkel and play in the water. Atlantis has everything I want, however I'm not going to risk it. I realize everyone has different experiences but I've heard enough to search on. Open to suggestions...
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 03:59 PM
afc

I have never been myself but 4 couples I know just got back 2 were at Atlantis 2 were at Comfort Suites and all 4 couples agreed that the rooms that the couples staying at the Comfort Suites were in was superior to those the couples who were at Atlantis were in( Beach Towers). They said given the savings, the free breakfast at the CS and the fact they got full use of Atlantis made it a good bargain. They also said that their walk to some things were less than the couples staying in the Beach Towers. Hope this is of value to you. All four couples are planning to go next year and all stay at the Comfort Suites.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 04:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi we stayed at the Atlantis last year and had a great time. It is a good place for a long weekend 4-5 day trip. We stayed in the Royal Towers which is definitely the nicest section. My brother stayed at the Beach towers and moved after two nights. It was very dumpy. Have not stayed at the coral towers, but some posters here have said it was okay.
The Atlantis was fun, but it is just a resort. The area around it, Nassau, is pretty dumpy. Not the best impression of the Bahamas.
If you are scared off from bad reviews, then try somewhere else. We heard the reviews and we had a great trip. I doubt we would go back just because there are nicer islands to visit.
Aruba has the blue green water and white sand. It has many watersport activities located right in front of the hotels. It has fabulous restaurants. We stayed at the Marriott and I highly recommend it. It has three pool areas and the swim up bars. I would check it out.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 07:31 AM

What is it specifically that Atlantis has that you want to duplicate, and what is it that you're afraid Atlantis has that you don't want? Do you mean high prices? For a resort with that many ameneties, you're going to have to pay for it. Do you mean expensive food? Food will generally be more expensive anywhere in the Caribbean compared to the mainland anywhere for commensurate quality.

If you're looking for a large resort with many activities for teens, but a resort that also generates more positive reviews than Atlantis does, you might want to check out the following:

Westin on St. John. The island itself has wonderful snorkeling. Rent a car a few days to drive around to snorkeling spots, but spend some time on site for your kids to enjoy the water activities set up there.

The Wyndham El San Juan on Puerto Rico or the El Conquistador both offer fantastic pools, large scale resort-type things. Snorkeling is less good here, but from El Conquistador it would be easy to take day trips to either Culebra or Vieques, where the snorkeling is primo.

Windjammer Resort on St. Lucia offers a beautiful setting and two bedroom villas in a resort atmosphere. The waters here aren't the same beautiful light blues found on coral islands, but it's still beautiful tho' darker looking. (When you're in it snorkeling, it's clear. It's only from above that it looks darker.) Glass bottom boats, banana boat rides, lots of water and land based activities here.

I'm sure other folks will have other recommendations. If you have an overall budget in mind, let us know, as many of the largest resorts have a commensurate price tag.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 03:46 PM

I second Aruba - beautiful beaches, lots of activites, fabulous restaurants and very nice hotels. We stayed at the Renaissance, but with your boys you will want to stay somewhere on Palm Beach, as recommended before. My sisters and I went to Atlantis last summer and it was like a second rate Vegas hotel - I will never go back, although the restaurants were very good. If you want to go to the Bahamas, check out the Out Islands.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone- will share the info w/my husband.