Search

Scuba/ Snorelling & Restaurants recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scuba/ Snorelling & Restaurants recommendations

Hi guys,

I am a novice diver (have not dived for over 8 months after my FIRST boat dive!!) and my friend only snorkels. We are going to Aruba next week and I am trying to find a few places where I can scuba (SAFELY) and he can snorkel. Any recommendations on where and if there is any dive operator I should go with?

I've heard there are tons of great restaurants in Aruba but we only have 1 wk. Any MUST GO places that we should not miss?

Thanks so much. This is definitely the BEST COMMUNITY website!!

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 11:52 AM

Just back from Aruba this morning. My husband and I aren't scuba divers, but we do enjoy snorkeling. We were impressed with the Octopus Champagne Brunch trip. Jethro has a very nice sailing boat (no motor!) and only takes 20 people out at a time. We snorkeled the wreck and Catalina Bay. Catalina Bay was great snorkeling, but the wreck was interesting for what it is. Sorry I don't know more about scuba opportunities.

Our favorite restaurants:
Flying Fishbone (about 30min from hotel strip)
Madame Janette's (5min from hotel strip)
Amazonia (walking distance from high rise hotels)

They all have easy to find websites where you can make advance reservations and check their menus.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:27 AM

We love Aruba after having vacationed there several times. Our don't miss picks for restaurants would be El Gaucho, Marandi (marandiaruba.com) and Madame Janette's.
We really like the ribs at Tango where they feature a short tango dance routine for entertainment. Early bird specials are a great deal.
All of these restaurants have websites online.
Have a great trip.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 05:47 PM

My wife and I enjoyed the Sunset Grill at the Radisson, Amazonia, Flying Fishbone (more for the atmospere than the food, our feet were in the sand/water since our table was right at the edge).
We enjoyed snorkeling at almost every spot we went into the water. We were glad we had the car it made everything so nice and easy.

We did the Tranquillo sailboat snorkel and lunch tour of the island and it was fantastic!! We did this on our first full day in Aruba, it was a great introduction to the island.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 02:56 AM

Hmmm.... Usually snorkeling and diving don't mix too well because divers are usually looking for something that you can't see by just snorkeling, otherwise you end up effectively snorkeling with a tank. The one place in Aruba that I know has both is the shipwreck. When we went snorkeling there it was fun to look down and see the divers. I can't recommend a dive operator, but I would think the wreck would be a good place that would be interesting to both divers and snorkelers.

I would also add my vote for Madame Jeanette's. One of the places we never miss when we go to Aruba. Haven't been for a few years but from what I read its still a very good restaurant.

If you've never been to El Gaucho's its an interesting experience. We enjoyed it when we went, but I get the impression it can be hit or miss.

Hmmmm... just noticed that you may have already left. Maybe not...

Ken
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 06:05 AM

Do not miss El Gaucho! I ahve aslo heard that Marandi is very good with a great setting on the water.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the great info!!! Took all your advice regarding restaurants and snorkelling places. Great advice!!!
Baby Beach was great, so was De Palm Island. Got some awesome photos, especially the ones when the fish in De Palm Island was chasing you for food!!! The fish is literally IN YOUR FACE!! Feel free to browse at http:\\photos.yahoo.com\alpha77prime

Great fun and THANKS SO MUCH!!!