Search

Sandals vs. Couples

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 06:45 PM
Mark

Sandals vs. Couples

We are interested in staying at an AI resort and are trying to decide between these two. Has anyone stayed at both and can compare? Thanks.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 07:49 AM
Jennifer

My husband and I stayed at the Sandals Dunns River this year and stayed at Couples Negril last year. I found the people at Couples to be a more laid back crowd who prefer to keep to themselves and enjoy some peace and quiet. Sandals had a lot more activity going on i.e. beer drinking contest, volleyball games, loud music, etc. We found the food and service to be better a little better at Sandals than at Couples (although food was not bad at Couples). We preferred the Negril area over Ocho Rios--we loved the beach in Negril and the beaches in Ocho Rios were a little disappointing in comparison. Overall, we would not go back to Ocho Rios and we wouldn't go to another Sandals, just because we like a little more quiet and relaxation than we found there. We would go to Couples Negril again. Any other questions-let me know!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 08:02 AM
Mark

Thanks Jennifer! We've heard better things about Negril but want to see Dunns River Falls. Is that possible to do from Negril or too far away? As you can tell, we've never been to Jamaica!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 08:59 AM
Jennifer

Well, you could do Dunns River Falls from Negril but it would be a very, very long ride. I'd estimate 3-4 hours each way, and that is a very bumpy trip. The roads in Jamaica are filled with potholes. That's really why it takes so long to get places, the driver is constantly stopping and swirving to avoid potholes. Dunns River Falls is beautiful, though, and we had a lot of fun climbing it. The entire climb was only about an hour or so, so I don't think it would be worth the trip from Negril. If you like more action at your resort and if you prefer a nice pool over a nice beach, (Sandals Dunns River has a very nice pool) then you may be happy at Sandals and you could be very close to the Falls. I'd be glad to help with any other questions if I can!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Kim

Any Sandals you choose will be wonderful. We are Sandals people all the way.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 01:20 AM
tivertonhouse

Avoid the conga lines of climbers at Dunn's River and head for YS Falls,an hour from Negril (Dunn's River would be 3 hours). Go early to avoid the tour buses.B4 9AM you're more likely to have the place all to yourselves. We did a fashion shoot there 10 years ago when it was pristine. Since,it's been discovered,yet still superb.And you can play 'Tarzan and Jane' on the liana vines over the seven cold mountainstream pools. Do a day trip,combining with Black River for wildlife/crocodile watching up the Great Morass,stopping for 'pepper'shrimp in Middle Quarters,Bamboo Alley,maybe Appleton Rum Factory and dinner en route back to Negril at Culloden Cafe in Whitehouse.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 07:07 AM
Curt

First, pick Sandals Negril it is wonderful and the beach is the best in Jamaica. We were there last month and we did one of the excursions booked through Sandals to Dunn's River Falls. This was an all day trip but it included several things other then the falls alone. There were 4 couples in the group, we were taken in a small van (larger than a minivan but not a bus, just the right size). We had a very nice young Jamaican girl that served as our guide. Our driver was very good. Along the way the guide pointed out many interesting things as we passed them. We stopped at Sandals Montego Bay for a break (about 30 minutes)where we were able to see the resort, have a drink, etc. We then drove on to Sandals Dunn's River and stopped there for lunch (about 1 1/2 hours). We then stopped in Ocho Rios for a shopping spree (could do craft market and/or duty free shops). Spent about an hour there and then on to the falls for the climb. Wonderful experience. Hint - the guides at the falls that take you up work for tips only so have some money available to give to them. They are worth it (we gave our guide $10). After the falls we then drove back to Sandals Royal Caribbean and stopped for drinks (about 30 minutes), and then back to Sandals Negril, arriving back around 730pm (we left Negril around 8:15am). All in all a great day and we liked it because we got to see several other Sandals resorts so we could compare to Negril and it was obvious that Negril has the best beach by far. I would recommend this trip to anyone that is interested in doing the falls. You can book it right at the desk in the main building at Negril.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 07:09 AM
Mark

Thanks Tivertonhouse! Sounds great! I think we have decided on Couples Negril. Now we just have to wait for September 2002!

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 06:20 AM
MeToo

To the top!

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 02:24 PM
Linda

My daughter and I visited Ocho Rios and stayed at Beaches Grande Sport at Ciboney (which Sandals now runs). It posted it had recently been updated which was incorrect. It was not a four star resort - more like a two. Electricity was off 3 out of 7 days. The people that worked there were wonderful and tried to be accomodating but there is not much you can experienc with no electricity - not even a warm shower after the sun. I was very disappointed. All inclusive would have been great had management been on top of things. I spent $4,000 thinking it would be the dream of a lifetime. I was mistaken. Please do not go there!!! Linda 7/31/01.