Search

Safety in Puerto Rico?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety in Puerto Rico?

Hi. We are looking to go to Puerto Rico in the fall staying probably at the Marriott in Condado. It was recently brought to my attention that it might be an unsafe place to go...

We will likely stay mostly at the resort, but also wanted to go to Old San Juan for dinner one night. Is that a bad idea?

Any feedback/advice/experience would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 06:44 AM

In what way have you heard that San Juan, Condado, or this Marriott might not be safe? I'm curious about what you think you've heard.

Like any big, poor city San Juan has crime (as does the island as a whole), but little to none of the violent crime is directed to tourists. The vast majority of people experience nothing more deadly than petty theft and pick-pocketing. Most of the island's violent crime is related to the drug trade, and it is a serious problem, though as in Washington, DC, it rarely affects tourists.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 07:35 AM

Don't worry, use common sense as you would anywhere and you will have a great time
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 08:59 AM

Every year millions of tourists stay in San Juan and thousands of them stay at the Marriott and/or dine out in Old San Juan without incident. Use the same common sense you do 'back home" and you'll be just fine.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 02:45 AM

We were in San Juan this past Winter. We stayed in Condado at La Concha, right near the Marriott , and we went to Old San Juan several times. We did not feel unsafe at all. Remember, you are not in a gated resort but in a neighborhood with all types of people. Some people prefer the comfort of a resort while on vacation and if that is what you are seeking this is not that experience.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 11:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have never felt unsafe in Puerto Rico and the Marriott is a nice hotel and close to many restuarants and things to do.
If you want a hotel not too far off the beaten path, but has more of it's own compound, you can try the Caribe Hilton. It is near the Condado area, but has its own resort compound so to speak. We have stayed there many times and it is a large hotel with lots of restaurants, pools, etc...
You can easily take a cab to dinner elsewhere as we often did.
Puerto Rico is a city like everyone else says here and they do have crime, but so does every where else.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 11:53 AM

I stayed at the marriott rennasaince with wife and two daughter 9 and 10 two years ago and felt totally safe. We walked to dinner most nights. Make sure you try the Peruvian place. You can always cab if you wish. I think there is a rough section of town called the pearl but it is not very near where you will be
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 09:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Like others said, it isn't particularly unsafe. You certainly can go out to dinner in Old SanJuan at night like thousands obf locals and tourists do everyday. Walking down ashford ave in condado to get to restaurants is also fine.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. I recently had someone scare me...but i feel better. We prob wont even leave resort that much since we are only there a few days!
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 05:20 PM

ErinKB,

You will definitely leave the resort as this is not a resort like on other islands (or other parts of PR) where you are behind some gated area and everything is contained in the resort. You are staying in a neighborhood ( a good thing in my opinion) and the nice thing about this location is that you can very easily walk around outside the hotel. Within a 5 to 10 minute walks of the Marriott there are some great restaurants and fun bars. Old San Juan is a quick ride away and it would be a shane if you didn't check it out. There are some amazing restaurants in both Condado and Old San Juan.

When we stayed in San Juan (in the same neighborhood you are staying) we walked around the area all the time. We went out for breakfast, lunch and dinner not to mention to the liquor store ( much cheaper than buying over priced drinks at the resort with hardly any alcohol in them!). Condado is not charming, but there are plenty of places to go and have fun.