Safety in Dominican Republic

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 09:57 AM
rgilbert

Safety in Dominican Republic

We are going to the DR in March (Juan Dolio, I think, is the name of the town). Would like to know thoughts on safety. When we visited Jamaica we learned it was better to stay at your resort, and it was definitely not recommended to rent a car. Is this the same in the DR or would you recommend renting a car and exploring (exercising the common sense caution we would at home as well)? We'd like to escape the all-incluse resort and touristy areas while we're there.

Thanks!

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 04:52 AM
Kevin

My wife and I stayed at the Capella Resort on Juan Dolio Beach in 1999. We felt the area was safe to walk around in the day and early evening before it got dark.We didn't rent a car and go out and around on our own so I can't speak to that. We did go into Santo Domingo for a shopping trip and that was fine.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 07:15 AM
Parrot Mom

It has been recommended you DO NOT rent a car because of the "police"....Like anywhere else you must be alert... Being that close to Santo Domingo I would think you would want to go in and there you couild hire a driver (the taxi drivers have a very strong union and are bandits in their own way)... But like everywhere else you must be alert...Ihave found the Dominicans wonderful people... for more info go to...
www.debbiesdominicantravel.com. and write to Debbie... Wish I were going with you...have the name of a fabulous seafood restaurant along the malecon if your interested (and if it's still there)....

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 04:03 PM
Parrot Mom

Thanks for the advice. I'd love the name of the seafood restaurant! Thanks!

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 06:57 PM
parrot mom

IF it is still there it is Bahia..on the Malecon..it was not a tourist restaurant..great shrimp..